• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If the NBA expands to 32...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone besides Bezo’s would be a fool to pay 2.5 billion for a franchise that he will only make money off of the television rights in a league that is hemogriging money right now. The Seattle City Council intentionally set up the Arena to make it prohibitive for a NBA owner to be successful just as they did in 94 for a NHL owner.
What was their goal there?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They remodel a basketball arena for a hockey team. Which is the opposite when Key Arena was remodeled where they specifically designed it to keep the NHL out. But the city council subsidizes the WNBA team which is where it isn’t profitable for the third tenant. All parking in the Seattle Center for the Kracken will have a percentage going to the Storm and it is unclear but an educated guess is that the Storm and Kracken will get a percentage when Sonics game happen. Owning a NBA team in Seattle at the Seattle Center is a vanity project for some rich person who doesn’t mind making money only on television rights, which isn’t ideal at the moment. White hipsters who for some reason are into hockey is the reason the Climate Pledge was approved. White hipsters don’t care about basketball.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They remodel a basketball arena for a hockey team. Which is the opposite when Key Arena was remodeled where they specifically designed it to keep the NHL out. But the city council subsidizes the WNBA team which is where it isn’t profitable for the third tenant. All parking in the Seattle Center for the Kracken will have a percentage going to the Storm and it is unclear but an educated guess is that the Storm and Kracken will get a percentage when Sonics game happen. Owning a NBA team in Seattle at the Seattle Center is a vanity project for some rich person who doesn’t mind making money only on television rights, which isn’t ideal at the moment. White hipsters who for some reason are into hockey is the reason the Climate Pledge was approved. White hipsters don’t care about basketball.
I still don't understand the motive

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone besides Bezo’s would be a fool to pay 2.5 billion for a franchise that he will only make money off of the television rights in a league that is hemogriging money right now. The Seattle City Council intentionally set up the Arena to make it prohibitive for a NBA owner to be successful just as they did in 94 for a NHL owner.
So the current NHL Arena isn't suitable for an NBA team?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twolves have long needed to be in the East, I would love for it to happen.

I think 2 expansion teams is a tough sell for the owners, it devalues the current product. I would love it though, it would lower the value of the wolves enough to get more people interested in buying them. No Glen Taylor would be the greatest thing ever.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the current NHL Arena isn't suitable for an NBA team?
It is suitable, it is more than suitable. It is a state of the art renovation. But is a shitty location for a NBA owner and the NBA will be the 4th tenant in the arena for someone who has to pay 2.5 billion. Purchasing the new franchise is a vanity project because unlike most other arenas the new ownership group has zero support from the public in terms of funding or political will.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is suitable, it is more than suitable. It is a state of the art renovation. But is a shitty location for a NBA owner and the NBA will be the 4th tenant in the arena for someone who has to pay 2.5 billion. Purchasing the new franchise is a vanity project because unlike most other arenas the new ownership group has zero support from the public in terms of funding or political will.

I don’t care what the Storm’s deal is with the arena.

An NBA team would not ever fall behind a WNBA team in that pecking order because revenue potential is just so much greater.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West:

Pacific:
Seattle
Portland
Sacramento
Golden State
LA Lakers
LA Clippers
Phoenix
Las Vegas

Southwest:
Houston
Dallas
San Antonio
Oklahoma City
Denver
Utah
Memphis
New Orleans

East:

Midwest:
Minnesota
Indiana
Chicago
Milwaukee
Cleveland
Detroit
Toronto
Philadelphia

Atlantic:
Miami
Orlando
Atlanta
Charlotte
Washington
Brooklyn
New York
Boston

76ers are a bit out of place but I think it works for everyone else.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t care what the Storm’s deal is with the arena.

An NBA team would not ever fall behind a WNBA team in that pecking order because revenue potential is just so much greater.
Pecking order in terms of revenue or in fan perception, for sure the Storm would be below the NBA, NHL and major concert events. But not in terms of the lease they will get nor tax revenue they will receive.

The Storm are the primary tenant of Climate Pledge Arena. They get a percentage of everything at the Seattle Center, and the city council’s lease with them essentially will pay them to play there. The Seattle Storm have paid less in rent to the city of Seattle from 2009-2018 than Clay Bennett and co. paid to get out of their lease in 2008.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twolves have long needed to be in the East, I would love for it to happen.

I think 2 expansion teams is a tough sell for the owners, it devalues the current product. I would love it though, it would lower the value of the wolves enough to get more people interested in buying them. No Glen Taylor would be the greatest thing ever.

The better answer would be relocation IMO. We don't need more NBA teams, we need a few moved to better markets. Picking the teams to move could prove difficult though. That probably wouldn't be a popular idea for you though, as the TWolves could be one of the candidates. The bottom 5 teams in terms of % of home tickets sold in 18/19 (the last full season) were (starting from the bottom): Pistons, TWolves, Hawks, Suns, and Nets. Other than the Pistons, those other 4 were also the bottom 4 in terms of total home attendance. Suns and Nets are on the rise and it would be pretty cold to take the Pistons away from struggling Detroit. If you go by last year's incomplete season, the Nets and Hawks moved up just out of the top 5, replaced by the Hornets and Grizz in total attendance (Hornets and Wizards in %).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West:

Pacific:
Seattle
Portland
Sacramento
Golden State
LA Lakers
LA Clippers
Phoenix
Las Vegas

Southwest:
Houston
Dallas
San Antonio
Oklahoma City
Denver
Utah
Memphis
New Orleans

East:

Midwest:
Minnesota
Indiana
Chicago
Milwaukee
Cleveland
Detroit
Toronto
Philadelphia

Atlantic:
Miami
Orlando
Atlanta
Charlotte
Washington
Brooklyn
New York
Boston

76ers are a bit out of place but I think it works for everyone else.

Yeah, Sixers are more "Atlantic" than Atlanta, name similarity notwithstanding lol.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 94 they set the arena up to where it wasn’t financially suitable for a NHL arena because of the way they constructed it. With the current arena they are building they weren’t forced to do anything for infrastructure to get fans in and out of the arena which that a suite capacity were the reason the Sonics were sold in the first place.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did the city purposefully make it difficult for an NBA team there?

They didn't.

Dude isn't giving you facts, just an opinion.

The Climate Pledge Arena which is expected to open in the summer is in a great location in the city, with plenty of hotels and transit options

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't.

Dude isn't giving you facts, just an opinion.

The Climate Pledge Arena which is expected to open in the summer is in a great location in the city, with plenty of hotels and transit options
I know I was trying to get him to defend his statements

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did the city purposefully make it difficult for an NBA team there?
Because I literally said, they didn’t do anything for infrastructure. Infrastructure and the lease were the issue pre OKC. And now the infrastructure is worse off for a 41 game a year venue than it was 12 years ago, but for some reason white hipsters from that (second wealthiest district in Seattle) love hockey and walking to a venue is seen as driving/parking.