• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If the Broncos reach the Super Bowl...

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...who from the NFC would you like to see them play?

I realize that ultimately we don't care, as long as they win. But there is a convincing reason to pull for each of the 6 NFC contenders.

Carolina Panthers, 15-1: With an insanely good record like that, what's not to like about facing off against a heavy weight like Carolina? They are the highest scoring team for 2015 but the Broncos defense matches up against that offense nicely and I'd give our offense a puncher's chance going against their D. They're good, but they can be had. I like the idea of facing this team because it's another battle of #1 seeds and would most certainly put the Panthers as heavy favorites. A win over a 15-1 team would be huge.

Arizona Cardinals, 13-3: Despite a dismantling by the Seahawks to close out the season, and despite the Panthers finishing 2 games better, many believe this Cardinals team is the best in the NFL this year. By yards this is the #1 offense in the league and 2nd in scoring. Defensively they are a top 5 unit, and like the Panthers, give up less than 20 PPG. I like the idea of the Broncos facing the Cardinals for reasons similar to the Panthers. The Cardinals would be heavily favored so the Broncos pulling off the win would be quite the coup.

Minnesota Vikings, 11-5: The Vikings have not gotten a lot of media love despite a great record and insane weather which generally favors defense and the running game. Maybe it's their opponent this week. People haven't forgotten that 38-7 beat down the Seahawks put on the Vikings a few weeks ago. Still, that game has about zero relevancy this week. The Vikings are capable of winning this game. I'd like to see that happen for several reasons. The Vikings are a favorable potential matchup for the Broncos. Plus they are 0-4 in the Super Bowl, while the Broncos are 2-5, alone with 5 losses. A Broncos win over the Vikings means the Broncos are not the only team with the dubious honor of most Super Bowl losses.

Washington Redskins, 9-7: Nobody gave this team a chance prior to the season. I picked the Giants to win this division at 9-7 and people said I was crazy because the Cowboys and Eagles were both a lock to win it at records better than 9-7. I missed on the team like everyone else did, but nailed the record of the winning team. I'd like to see the Redskins face off against the Broncos because it is a favorable matchup. They have no running game to speak of, so the Broncos wouldn't have to work too hard to take away the strength of their offense. Meanwhile their defense can be beat, even by a middling offense such as our own. Finally this would give the Broncos a chance to avenge an ugly 42-10 Super Bowl loss from the 1980s.

Green Bay Packers, 10-6: Of the six possibilities, this one I am the least interested in. With that said, the Packers would be a favorable matchup because the injuries they have on the O-line would make it hard for Rodgers to consistently pass. Their pass defense is still solid, but that is likely because they are giving up almost a buck-twenty on the ground. Once again, this is a pretty favorable matchup all around for the Broncos. But like I said, I'm the least interested in this matchup because the Broncos already have a win over the Packers in the Super Bowl. I'd rather see a completely new matchup or a game where the Broncos have a chance to avenge an earlier loss.

Seattle Seahawks, 10-6: And that brings us to the Seahawks, the most recent team to give the Broncos a Super Bowl loss. Consequently, despite this Seahawks team being arguably the best 10-6 team ever, and despite that defense looking like a matchup nightmare for the Broncos offense, I'd love to see the Broncos led by Manning get some redemption against this team. I believe the Broncos defense would be able to contain their offense, but as I said, their defense would likely bottle up our offense just as well or better. I'll take that chance for a shot at firing back after an ugly performance a couple years ago. If the Broncos were to beat the Seahawks in the Super Bowl, even by just one point, you'd never be able to mention the Seahawks 43-8 win without mentioning the Broncos win right along with it.

There you have it, a compelling reason or reasons to cheer for any of the potential matchups. This is all hypothetical of course, because two of these teams won't even be playing by Monday, and the Broncos obviously have to handle their business in the coming weeks as well. But if you tell me you've not at least considered it I'll probably call you a liar. We've all thought about this at least a little.

Your thoughts?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see the Broncos play any of what I would call the top three:

Panthers - team with the best record - legitimizes the Super Bowl Victory in greatness.
Cards - Agreed they have often been referred to the as the best team in the NFC - so for the same reason - a victory over the Cards will be a champion validation.
Seahawks - Revenge Win

Green Bay - the Broncos already beat them in a Super Bowl

The Vikes and the Redskins - would be fun, but no fun to beat - as they everyone will expect a victory and winning wouldn't validate anything.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super Bowl victories never really require validation. The only validation necessary is that nice, shiny silver trophy adorning the trophy case ;-)

And the thought of blowing out the Redskins does have some appeal.....

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Vikes and the Redskins - would be fun, but no fun to beat - as they everyone will expect a victory and winning wouldn't validate anything.

I see why you're saying this and agree the dialogue would slant away from really validating the Broncos win over the Vikings or Redskins. With that said, I'd soundly reject such a ludicrous dialogue. In this hypothetical, the Broncos can only play the team that reaches the Super Bowl from the NFC. If it happens to be one of the perceived "weaker" teams then rather than being critical that the Broncos beat a weak team, I'd question the validity of how "strong" all the teams that didn't make it were.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want to get to the Superbowl. There would be some incredibly satisfying wins mixed in there just to do that: Patriots, Chiefs, Steelers, etc. If I had to pick a Superbowl win that would mean the most, I guess I'll lean toward Seattle, given the recent history.

Mostly, I want to see our home field advantage bear fruit this year. Not only win all our home playoff games to the Superbowl but DOMINATE our opponents. As a fan, I'm really craving a Broncos blowout and not another nail-biter!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see why you're saying this and agree the dialogue would slant away from really validating the Broncos win over the Vikings or Redskins. With that said, I'd soundly reject such a ludicrous dialogue. In this hypothetical, the Broncos can only play the team that reaches the Super Bowl from the NFC. If it happens to be one of the perceived "weaker" teams then rather than being critical that the Broncos beat a weak team, I'd question the validity of how "strong" all the teams that didn't make it were.

Yeah - I'm thinking anecdotally - what if a top team like the Panthers - Cards or Seahawks - loses on what a bad call or a fluke play.

Still - the NFL runs a much fairer system then the College game -where Ohio State and Stanford didn't make it into the final four -but Oklahoma and Michigan State did.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree about the NFL vs NCAA. I love college football any given week, despite the fact that I'm a Buffs fan and forget talk of a national championship, a 6-6 season would be amazing!

As for your anecdotal thinking, it was clear from the first snap of the SB the Broncos weren't prepared to play. They gave up a fluke play and never recovered. They were missing some serious talent on defense. And yet, nobody questions the Seahawks win. And nobody should: they came in ready to play and were rewarded for it. Still I can't help but wonder how different that game would have gone had the Broncos not given up a self induced fluke play on the opening snap.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#BuffsFansUnited

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping we pull a Tampa Bay and suddenly show some offensive life in a strong playoff run.

primetime714

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not expecting it, but if the Broncos pull it together and make a run I'd probably go for the Panthers. I really think only 3 teams have a good shot at it in the NFC. Carolina, Arizona and Seattle. Of those three I'd take my chances against the Panthers. All three are potentially better than any of the AFC teams though. My guess right now is Arizona. They're the most complete team and they won't play Seattle in the 2nd round.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle and Washington would both have appeal due to the revenge factor, but the best games to watch would be vs.: Carolina, Arizona, or Seattle. Games against Minnesota or Green Bay would be great, because we would be playing in those games, but otherwise would be less satisfying. I'll throw in another twist to this conversation. Most difficult to least difficult team for the Broncos to beat:

1) Seattle. They always get better in the post-season and are so well-coached.
2) Carolina. They are just so good this season, and they have Superman playing QB for them.
3) Arizona. They are a good all-around team with no clear weaknesses.
4) Minnesota. They have been a surprise to me, but there is no denying that they are good. And they are built for the post-season.
5) Green Bay. Their defense is down this year, and our defense would handle their offense.
6) Washington. If our offense could score two TDs, we would demolish them, and have our very belated revenge.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super Bowl victories never really require validation. The only validation necessary is that nice, shiny silver trophy adorning the trophy case ;-)

And the thought of blowing out the Redskins does have some appeal.....

This. Add in the fact that I live in Redskin country, and it equals me naming the Skins if I had my choice.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are funny guys. To even think Skins would make SB is hilarious. So....in the real world......let's win a playoff game first. I'm worried about AFC opponents right now and it will be tough enough with this O line to get to Div.title. :)

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would you worry about AFC opponents? It's not like we fans have to take the "one week at a time" approach. We are allowed to look ahead and ponder the possibilities. If we look ahead it's no harm. Now if the team does that's another story.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would you worry about AFC opponents? It's not like we fans have to take the "one week at a time" approach. We are allowed to look ahead and ponder the possibilities. If we look ahead it's no harm. Now if the team does that's another story.
:L

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle would probably be the most satisfying team of that group to beat. My fear though is we would run into the exact same problem as last time of our OL getting beat up and if Manning is still the QB just getting destroyed. I think they would probably be our worst match up of the 6 teams in the NFC. Still if we could pull off that win oh man that would be a game to remember.

After that I really don't care. None of the others have quite the appeal other than the fact that we are playing in the Super Bowl for the chance to be on top. I mean that is plenty but not a ton of story lines.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I forgot about this thread. Looking back I'm glad we got the Panthers. The last three Super Bowls have been match ups between #1 seeds in each conference after years of lower seeds upsetting the higher seeds. Both ways are exciting but it does feel good to know the Broncos beat the "consensus champs" soundly.

Something else that is awesome about not just the Super Bowl but the whole playoff run is the story of how Manning's team carried him. For years Manning carried teams into the playoffs where he just couldn't do it himself. Three years with the Broncos he had some of the best teams around him of his whole career but fell just short (likely due to coaching in each of the losses to the Ravens, Seahawks and Colts but that's another debate for another thread.) In the 2015 playoffs a hobbled but determined Manning played a far reduced role than ever before in his career and his team stepped up. The 2015 Broncos playoff run is without question one of the most inspiring stories in the history of the NFL. A man that has done so much for the game gets paid back a little by his teammates and helped across the finish line one final time. This kind of thing is why people love team sports. The offense lacked explosiveness and the play calling at times was maddeningly conservative in the playoffs, but the defense held the #1, #3, and #4 scoring offenses to a total of 44 points. Epic. And let's not forget: against the Steelers over half the experts picked the Steelers. Against the Patriots just about all the experts picked the Patriots. Against the Panthers EVERYONE picked the Panthers.

That was a very satisfying and inspiring playoff run; one that is going to age nicely even as the years move on.