• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I took a lot of time on this shit so read it: AZ's top 10 prospects

Besides Bradley, who is your favorite prospect?

• Matt Davidson

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Chris Owings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • David Holmberg

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stryker Trahan

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm making my own rankings and including statistics from this season. Hope you enjoy. (Excluding Skaggs, Gregorius, and Eaton since they're all up already and were previous top 100 prospects in the MLB)

1. SP-Archie Bradley- He is without a doubt our top prospect and ranked the top pitching prospect in the MLB right now. His command has improved over last year, as well as the control, while he's still in the 93-98 mph range with his heater. His curve is his swing and miss pitch and it's a power curve that hits up to 83 mph. A true 12-6 curve, sinking heater and solid command... this guy has all the makings to become an ace. Can't wait until we give him the call, I hope we don't rush him though.

Statistics- 8-4, 1.95 ERA, 123 K's in 110 IP between High A and Double A.

2. 3B/LF-Matt Davidson- Futures game MVP, won the Triple A home run derby, and he continues to rake season after season. Davidson has always had offensive upside. He has a good approach and the ball jumps off his bat, with the ability to hit the ball out of the park. Really can't wait to see him brought up, I think he will add some much needed pop to this offense.

Statistics- .292 AVG, 15 HR, 62 RBI, and 1 SB in 94 games so far in Reno.

3. SS/2B-Chris Owings- Owings is putting together a monster year in Reno, he made the futures game as well. He's still only 21 years old, and with his power improving each year scouts are starting to like him more and more. He's a solid defender, has improved his swing and has a good amount of speed and could easily steal 20+ bases a year. The tools are there, now he just needs to find playing time and try to show what he's got.

Statistics- .352 AVG, 11 HR, 66 RBI, 15 SB in 100 games in Reno.

4. LHP- David Holmberg- I've always liked this guy quite a bit... he was an afterthought in the Daniel Hudson trade and has been overshadowed his entire minor league career because of the big names like Bauer, Parker, Bradley, Skaggs, and Corbin in our system. He continues to impress each year.

Holmberg has the chance to have four average or better pitches with good command of all of them. He works quickly and goes right after hitters, working both sides of the strike zone with his solid average sinking fastball. His fading changeup is an above-average offspeed pitch and he throws both a tight biting curve and short, cutting slider. He reminds me a lot of Corbin actually, low ERA with good command and not a ton of K's.

Statistics- 5-5, 2.97 ERA, 84 K's in 119 IP in Mobile.

5. C- Stryker Trahan- This guy is my personal favorite... straight up badass. If you haven't seen the video of him laying out a kid trying to barrel over him then you should definitely YouTube it. Anyways... this kid can flat out rake. He's a hitter. Period. Still a long ways from coming up but I can't wait until he replaces Miggy. (If he sticks at catcher)

Statistics- He's only played 23 games this year but so far he's hitting .272, with 3 HR, and 15 RBI. Just started his pro career.

Quick hits on prospects 6-10

6. Jake Barrett- RP- Our future closer, has nasty stuff and a good K rate.
7. Zeke Spruill- RHP- Solid stuff, could be a back of the rotation starter or a nice long reliever.
8. Andrew Chafin- RHP- Our most underrated prospect in my opinion. Already tearing it up in Mobile.
9. Nick Ahmed- SS- He's got some potential... solid piece for the J-Up trade.
10. Evan Marshall- RP- Another guy that projects to be a great bullpen piece. Future set-up man.

Notables-
Braden Shipley (our first rounder this year) will join this list next year, probably in our top 3.

Brandon Drury- 1B- Another piece from the Upton trade, he's currently raking with 12 HR and 68 RBI in low A. Could be a name to keep an eye on.

Thanks for reading (if you did) Hope this will help familiarize you with our farm system.

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great job though, agreed with the list and its like if everything I would say, you said it for me.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would switch Trahan and Holmberg, other than that I agree. I have a feeling that we will see Davidson and Owings within the next month.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Trahan might not be a catcher?

It's too early in his career to tell if he'll stick there. He's got a great arm though, so he could move to a corner OF spot if it doesn't work out behind the plate for him. I'd say there's a 75 percent chance he remains a catcher.

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he's definitely going to be one to watch. I'll admit I forgot about him. But he's so young still... it's hard to know what to expect from international prospects.

Dude, don't ever doubt Venezuelan catchers. Name one that has ever struggled? Thats what I thought.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but seriously, how is Trahan defensively?

He's got a cannon for an arm but I heard he needs to work on managing games better like most young catchers do. So far scouts have liked what they've seen from him defensively behind the plate.

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D-backs Prospect Picture ArizonaSports.com

The top prospects in the organization who just might, emphasis on might, get the call sometime this season and try their arm -- or bat -- at helping the big league club.

Matt Davidson Davidson followed up an outstanding All-Star Weekend by going five for 13 with one home run three RBI and three walks in a series vs. Las Vegas.
Chris Owings
Owings opened up the second half of the season by collecting six hits -- including two triples -- in 17 at-bats against Las Vegas. Ha also walked twice and struck out three times.
David Holmberg
Holmberg is coming off one of his worst starts of the season, where he allowed eight runs on nine hits in just 2.2 innings against Jacksonville. He struck out four, walked two and allowed a pair of home runs.
Archie Bradley
Bradley returned from the All-Star break and tossed a gem in a no decision against Montgomery, surrendering just four hits and two walks in six innings of work. He struck out eight.
Andrew Chafin
Chafin was excellent against Montgomery Monday, allowing just five hits and one run in seven innings. He struck out five and walked none as the Bay Bears got the win.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, how good does the Upton trade look now?

Prado is heating up, Delgado looks like a quality SP, Spruill, Ahmed and Drury are all nice pieces as well (future trade bait). It looks a little bit better than it did at first, I'd say.

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, how good does the Upton trade look now?

Prado is heating up, Delgado looks like a quality SP, Spruill, Ahmed and Drury are all nice pieces as well (future trade bait). It looks a little bit better than it did at first, I'd say.

I think it will be a few years before we really know who won that trade. Right now though, I like our chances.

It also got us a certain pitcher I happen to like.