• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I Think I Like Brian Shaw Better Then Dumbtoni

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have never heard Magic Johnson and Kareem talk about it, but they have commented extensively that the players are not having to learn more complicated plays in little time and that the NBA has dumbed down considerably. That doesn't mean they are incapable of learning, but when that becomes the normal and standard in the industry - they balk when asked to do more for all of those millions and in there eyes the management would be doing to much - such was the attitude in New York when the dominoes like Marbury got told to leave forever.

That being said - the triangle is too rigid and too slow and for a long time Phil Jackson wouldn't budge or move from it. With Dwight Howard, I think there would have been a greater chance of the success with Phil Jackson in place then Dumb AssToni. I think in today's NBA flexibility to run what will work is needed and part of the equation is that bad teams can make up for the lack of talent by being young, able to run and shooting so much that by virtual the number of throws they are going to compete. If they shoot twice as many throws, then they will still get their's even though they are shooting 39% for example. On the other side of that because the Lakers for example were so slow they had time to move to the other side, set up a defense and actually got rested up in comparison because they are so much younger and used to running. I think all of these things help contribute to the demise of teams like the Lakers

Former players love to talk about everything that is wrong with the current players... how nobody is as smart or good or tough or has to walk uphill in the snow anymore. Blah blah blah blah blah.

More effort and energy is put into scouting and scheming than ever before, because so much data is available. Want to know what percentage Chris Bosh shoots from the left elbow when guarded by an opponent 7 feet or taller? There's the data.

I wouldn't say that offense is more or less complicated than before, but I WILL say that defense is much more complicated. With all of the recent rules to favor offense, playing great team defense requires a lot more complication for the players.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of this also has to do with with players not staying in college where they would have learned those concepts of plays and team play.

If they had, being young would not be as effective because the veterans would have the edge of knowing the fundamentals.

At the same time the players are continuing to be more and more athletic which both allows them to come out of college sooner and allows them to get away with a lot less fundamental knowledge.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former players love to talk about everything that is wrong with the current players... how nobody is as smart or good or tough or has to walk uphill in the snow anymore. Blah blah blah blah blah.

More effort and energy is put into scouting and scheming than ever before, because so much data is available. Want to know what percentage Chris Bosh shoots from the left elbow when guarded by an opponent 7 feet or taller? There's the data.

I wouldn't say that offense is more or less complicated than before, but I WILL say that defense is much more complicated. With all of the recent rules to favor offense, playing great team defense requires a lot more complication for the players.

I watched the Lakers play the triangle under Phil Jackson and the comments made on a regular basis was that it took an entire year for a player to learn the triangle and quite often the players signed by West and Kupchek was signed early enough in the year that they could learn it in time to help. Very seldom would the Lakers sign or trade at the deadline because of the triangle, so I tend to believe it was too complicate for the average player. Most of the players want to just run up and down the court and don't want to learn offensive plays and defense.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the Lakers play the triangle under Phil Jackson and the comments made on a regular basis was that it took an entire year for a player to learn the triangle and quite often the players signed by West and Kupchek was signed early enough in the year that they could learn it in time to help. Very seldom would the Lakers sign or trade at the deadline because of the triangle, so I tend to believe it was too complicate for the average player. Most of the players want to just run up and down the court and don't want to learn offensive plays and defense.

Yeah, the triangle is a whole other thing, there's no doubt it was very complicated to learn. I've read quite a bit about that too.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the triangle is a whole other thing, there's no doubt it was very complicated to learn. I've read quite a bit about that too.

It also slows down the game which is the intention - the purpose is to slow down the pace - it was a battle under Phil Jackson who was always trying to slow down the game which was better fitted for the aging Lakers - but then the young bucks want to run because they only chance they have is to run so fast that they have made a basket and are coming back before the Lakers can recover. It was a frusterating thing to watch

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also slows down the game which is the intention - the purpose is to slow down the pace - it was a battle under Phil Jackson who was always trying to slow down the game which was better fitted for the aging Lakers - but then the young bucks want to run because they only chance they have is to run so fast that they have made a basket and are coming back before the Lakers can recover. It was a frusterating thing to watch

I think the thing to remember is that Phil's coaching style to slow the game down is a big benefit in the playoffs, because that's when the game slow's down. Run & gun is okay during the regular season, but the playoffs are a different beast that requires far more strategy.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the thing to remember is that Phil's coaching style to slow the game down is a big benefit in the playoffs, because that's when the game slow's down. Run & gun is okay during the regular season, but the playoffs are a different beast that requires far more strategy.

I agree with that - but to a certain degree, I think teams running faster are here to stay even in the playoffs and teams like the Lakers will need to step it up faster then the Phil Jackson era or get left out of the loop.