• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I really don't see how I possibly pass this up.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As many picks as I had/have? I probably just keep Lacy and try to get Howard in the Supplementary Draft and hope to get Hilton in the 3rd. Before the trade he would have had to throw Coleman, Hilton and Howard back in and his first 2 rounds would have been ODB and AB and his next pick would not have been until the 7th (I think). He basically traded this season for last season.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As many picks as I had/have? I probably just keep Lacy and try to get Howard in the Supplementary Draft and hope to get Hilton in the 3rd. Before the trade he would have had to throw Coleman, Hilton and Howard back in and his first 2 rounds would have been ODB and AB and his next pick would not have been until the 7th (I think). He basically traded this season for last season.

Oh I see. That changes things. He's been living off credit and now he needs to pay up. Sucks to be him.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I see. That changes things. He's been living off credit and now he needs to pay up. Sucks to be him.
Right...............and to be honest with the history of these trades in this league he actually did get good value.

But if he was able to keep 3 this trade never would have happened

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing: I do not like this rule at all and every year I bring it up at the rules meeting. We should either HAVE to keep 2 with an option of a 3rd or scrap the keeper part of this all together. I had to throw back a pretty dam good team (on paper before the season started) in 2015. No way I make all the trades I made last year if I HAD to keep 2.

Mine is a keeper league, but our keepers are in the round you drafted them the year before and you can only keep one. We've also done that you can keep two the same way but they must be at different positions. Any free agents that you do not draft but are on your roster at the end of the year are 6th round keepers. I don't allow trading of draft picks for this exact reason, however if at the end of the year you want to make a trade for a good keeper option the next year that is perfectly fine as long as you can find a trade partner.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
200.webp

200.webp

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well yeah you accept, but will the league allow it? The guy your trading with must have a loaded roster and knows he can't keep these guys, still I would think he could/ should get a better return.

I have played in leagues like this before. The problem for the Howard owner is leverage. It is like an NBA team trading away their best player just before he hits free agency. He is never going to get equal value in return. Also, with such a small number of keepers, Howard is not as valuable as one might originally think. After you get beyond the super elite, there is not much seperating Howard from the next tier who are not keepers at all.

But yeah Sam. Take this deal before he finds another trade partner. Like right now. Hit accept.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more question Sam.

What is the cost of keeping Hilton? Do you do so with your first pick?

If so, I would probably pass on that. Worst case you draft Hilton back again.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more question Sam.

What is the cost of keeping Hilton? Do you do so with your first pick?

If so, I would probably pass on that. Worst case you draft Hilton back again.
Howard will be my first rounder, Hilton my second.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howard will be my first rounder, Hilton my second.

OK.

I don't think you should keep Hilton.

You have pick 2 in round 2, and EVERY team must use their 1st rounder on their keeper, correct?

If so, there might be a better player available for you at what is essentially pick 14 overall. Yes, it is possible that the guy at 1 takes Hilton, but I would be willing to bet there is a comparable player available for you to draft in that scenario. I think it would be a mistake for you to keep Hilton Here.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK.

I don't think you should keep Hilton.

You have pick 2 in round 2, and EVERY team must use their 1st rounder on their keeper, correct?

If so, there might be a better player available for you at what is essentially pick 14 overall. Yes, it is possible that the guy at 1 takes Hilton, but I would be willing to bet there is a comparable player available for you to draft in that scenario. I think it would be a mistake for you to keep Hilton Here.
Yeah I was on the fence with the Hilton part of the trade but last year he went in the supplementary draft...........this early it's hard to tell but looks like 3 teams will only be keeping one player.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I was on the fence with the Hilton part of the trade but last year he went in the supplementary draft...........this early it's hard to tell but looks like 3 teams will only be keeping one player.

That is okay.

I bet at least a couple of the guys being kept will be worse than Hilton. I would also be willing to bet that there is another team out there with a 3rd player better than Hilton.

Is the guy at pick 1 keeping a second player? If he is, you have a no brainer on your hands. Worst case you select Hilton. If he isn't, and he takes Hilton, the absolute worst case would be that you end up choosing. Between Fournette and the best available player who wasn't kept.

If you feel okay about Fournette as a worst case option, then the right play is to decline the option to keep Hilton and give yourself some flexibility on draft day.

I would not even consider another trade for a keeper unless the player you return is as good or better than Howard.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is okay.

I bet at least a couple of the guys being kept will be worse than Hilton. I would also be willing to bet that there is another team out there with a 3rd player better than Hilton.

Is the guy at pick 1 keeping a second player? If he is, you have a no brainer on your hands. Worst case you select Hilton. If he isn't, and he takes Hilton, the absolute worst case would be that you end up choosing. Between Fournette and the best available player who wasn't kept.

If you feel okay about Fournette as a worst case option, then the right play is to decline the option to keep Hilton and give yourself some flexibility on draft day.

I would not even consider another trade for a keeper unless the player you return is as good or better than Howard.
Ahh, see, the guy who picks before me is not keeping a second player (unless he has gone completely bat shit crazy) and he is the guy that will absolutely take Hilton at that spot, which will leave me with Hilton AND Fournette.........that was the reason I decided to make the trade for Hilton. He'll go best available WR without a doubt. He is a no RB kinda guy. Howard, Hilton and Fournette is a damn good start IMO especially when I have the 2nd and 11th pick in the 4th round.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, with such a small number of keepers, Howard is not as valuable as one might originally think. After you get beyond the super elite, there is not much seperating Howard from the next tier who are not keepers at all.
This is 100% true. If you look at it, Howard ends up being my first round pick, so he is basically the 2nd pick of the draft (kinda). Hilton ends up being the 14th pick of the draft. Where as the guy I traded ends up with AB at 11 and ODB at 23...............the guy that came in last will keep 1 (can't remember who it is) and will get the first pick of the supplementary draft. Kinda confusing and actually a fun part of this league.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, i deal with these same issues every year in my keeper league, and we do a minimum 2, max keep 4.

I'd do the deal and start the year off with Howard and Hilton, then go from there.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Late to the party... but short answer, yes

Long answer... hell yes