• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I knew I wasn't crazy for saying that the Hall of Fame's standards are too low! Deion agrees.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deion has 16 more tackles in 43 more games

Yup. And I'm not saying he tackles better than Revis. He did make tackles, though, and it's arguable that the best corners make less tackles because they get targeted less and give up fewer receptions.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to wonder if Deion understands that looking backwards wastes a lot of time. Was he a great one, yes, of course, but tiers of greatness aren't what it's about, it's about your impact on the game while you played. It's not a comparison of guys that made it...different times make for different kinds of players and that's just the way it is.

How about this, how great would he have been back in the 60's when the game was all about pummeling the hell out of guys as opposed to just covering them...so honestly, I think he should be proud of his accomplishments and not worry about what others have accomplished.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to wonder if Deion understands that looking backwards wastes a lot of time. Was he a great one, yes, of course, but tiers of greatness aren't what it's about, it's about your impact on the game while you played. It's not a comparison of guys that made it...different times make for different kinds of players and that's just the way it is.

How about this, how great would he have been back in the 60's when the game was all about pummeling the hell out of guys as opposed to just covering them...so honestly, I think he should be proud of his accomplishments and not worry about what others have accomplished.

He is saying that some players are better than others, but I think that's obvious anyway and is pointless to point out. He does make another point, which is a good point, that the standard for the Hall of Fame is too low.

I agree that it's difficult to compare players from different eras, but that's a separate issue from the standard being low. Some people will hate this, but star players with short careers shouldn't make it in (like Terrell Davis) and neither should players who were good stat compilers (like Curtis Martin). I think a lot of people question Tony Boselli being inducted. Only 7 seasons played, and what was his great impact?

Besides a low standard, the other issue with the Hall of Fame is inconsistency. Was Boselli greater and a bigger impact player than Joe Jacoby?

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is saying that some players are better than others, but I think that's obvious anyway and is pointless to point out. He does make another point, which is a good point, that the standard for the Hall of Fame is too low.

I agree that it's difficult to compare players from different eras, but that's a separate issue from the standard being low. Some people will hate this, but star players with short careers shouldn't make it in (like Terrell Davis) and neither should players who were good stat compilers (like Curtis Martin). I think a lot of people question Tony Boselli being inducted. Only 7 seasons played, and what was his great impact?

Besides a low standard, the other issue with the Hall of Fame is inconsistency. Was Boselli greater and a bigger impact player than Joe Jacoby?

There are plenty of guys you could make a case that they shouldn't be in, but they are. They're in and it is what it is. So if we give Deion his way, some guys get special recognition and some guys get set aside in a corner room that you might want to visit? Let's be real, some of the "contributors" are guys most casual fans and plenty of avid fans have never heard of, and probably don't really care about at all. Should those guys be put in a special "garage" they build next to the hall and you get $1 off admission if you visit the garage?

While I will not argue "Bill vs Joe", as that could go on forever, I will state that some are probably more deserving than others. What my real point is, is that Deion should shut his damn mouth and be happy with what he has accomplished and the doors football opened to him, as opposed to trying to slam the door behind him after he got thru it. To me that is reality, he's gotten to the pinnacle, don't try to put a floor on it and close it off to others. IE, STFU and be happy with what you have and have accomplished and don't try to diminish the accomplishment of others.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
An opinion fueled by ego is irrelevant

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreeing with Deion doesn't make you sane!

I do agree that it's a watered-down HOF now but agreeing with me doesn't make you sane either.....

I don't agree with everything he says, but he's absolutely correct that players who were merely good are getting in. Maybe you, Deion, and I are all crazy, but we're all correct that the HOF is watered-down.

Last edited:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are plenty of guys you could make a case that they shouldn't be in, but they are. They're in and it is what it is. So if we give Deion his way, some guys get special recognition and some guys get set aside in a corner room that you might want to visit? Let's be real, some of the "contributors" are guys most casual fans and plenty of avid fans have never heard of, and probably don't really care about at all. Should those guys be put in a special "garage" they build next to the hall and you get $1 off admission if you visit the garage?

While I will not argue "Bill vs Joe", as that could go on forever, I will state that some are probably more deserving than others. What my real point is, is that Deion should shut his damn mouth and be happy with what he has accomplished and the doors football opened to him, as opposed to trying to slam the door behind him after he got thru it. To me that is reality, he's gotten to the pinnacle, don't try to put a floor on it and close it off to others. IE, STFU and be happy with what you have and have accomplished and don't try to diminish the accomplishment of others.

Meh, he's expressing opinions like we all have a right to express, and I don't agree with everything he says, which I've clarified numerous times. I think that most people are attacking the messenger more than the message. That's to be expected because Deion is a controversial person, but he does make a good point that the standard to get into the Hall of Fame is too low.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robotech needs to read the comments after that article. Well, maybe not because his head would explode, the comments aren't pretty.

The Yahoo article comments? I haven't checked those outs since yesterday, but most of the comments are simply attacking the messenger and are not countering the valid point that the standard to get into the Hall of Fame is too low.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something that I am very, very sure about is that Eli Manning will make it into the Hall of Fame. And it's because of what we're talking about in this thread: the standard is too low.