• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I hate the Padres

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and the offseason is a wrap. Platoon in RF or not we didn't get much better. Glad I have the Rangers to fall back on. I don't want to be a downer but our odds don't look good. Kuma is done btw. Watch. We had a chance to be aggressive and we got screwed multiple times. We improved practically nothing because our pen and pitching won't be as good as last year. Our best bet is our youth steps up.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch Paxton or Walker pull a Hultzen now lol. It would be our luck.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh someone please get out a violin for this guy.

How can you possibly say we didn't get much better?

We replaced the black hole that has been our DH position since Edgar with a guy who last year produced. 87runs, 40 hr, 108 rbi, .271

Even if you subtract a 20% safeco/camden factor from his counting stats that still blows our DH production out of the water.

Fun game, how many years back would you have to combine for our DH position to total 40 homeruns? 2? 3? 4?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We replaced the black hole that has been our DH position since Edgar with a guy who last year produced. 87runs, 40 hr, 108 rbi, .271

Even if you subtract a 20% safeco/camden factor from his counting stats that still blows our DH production out of the water.

Fun game, how many years back would you have to combine for our DH position to total 40 homeruns? 2? 3? 4?

i'm happy the dh situation got addressed.

the outfield is still a rather large issue both on the field and behind the plate, no matter how content some might be with the possible platoon situations that might be going on.

i'd be fine with a more incremental approach to team building if we had a gm who was good at it. but this opportunity to contend might not last for 2-3 years. i can't help but be disappointed.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't hate the Padres. They'll fuck it up, don't worry.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't hate the Padres. They'll fuck it up, don't worry.

you told me i was wrong about denorfia being shitty

i'm not sure i trust you anymore

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem with the fans isn't that they aren't excited that they addressed one "black hole" on the team, it's that there were weakness's and they only addressed one of them. The entire outfield is still a black hole and their pitching staff at best is a question mark.

I can't hate the Padres, I can dislike Jack for looking like a chump compared to the Padres or compared to the rest of baseball.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with the fans isn't that they aren't excited that they addressed one "black hole" on the team, it's that there were weakness's and they only addressed one of them. The entire outfield is still a black hole and their pitching staff at best is a question mark.

I can't hate the Padres, I can dislike Jack for looking like a chump compared to the Padres or compared to the rest of baseball.

Meh im going to choose to be positive that a year of Austin Jackson will be good for us at CF.

Just look at where this offense was THREE years ago. Now look at this lineup

Jackson
RF platoon/SS
Cano
Cruz
Seags
Lomo
Ackley
Zunino
RF platoon/SS

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The reason why is because our pitching/pen was ABOVE average and can't sustain the success they had. Getting Cruz did solve our DH problem but if anything he just makes up for the decline in our pitching. So we didn't really do anything, maybe we improved my a game or 2. I wanted Cruz and I was happy but seriously you're going to knock me for my opinion? Like I said I don't WANT to be a downer but I just don't see anything to get excited about. We missed out on player after player and you can't tell me there wasn't anyway we could pull something off. I think we could have got Myers if we had tried. I didn't want Kemp so I'm not butt hurt about that. I just really don't see anything to get excited about.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy why couldn't the Mariners land Upton for what the Padres gave up? That's a serious bummer.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason why is because our pitching/pen was ABOVE average and can't sustain the success they had. Getting Cruz did solve our DH problem but if anything he just makes up for the decline in our pitching. So we didn't really do anything, maybe we improved my a game or 2. I wanted Cruz and I was happy but seriously you're going to knock me for my opinion? Like I said I don't WANT to be a downer but I just don't see anything to get excited about. We missed out on player after player and you can't tell me there wasn't anyway we could pull something off. I think we could have got Myers if we had tried. I didn't want Kemp so I'm not butt hurt about that. I just really don't see anything to get excited about.

Dude the Mariners pitching has been really good for years. The safeco effect takes average joes like chris young and turns him into the comeback player of the year.

You are sooo being a downer. "Kumas done" "the offseasons over" "our bullpen can't possibly be a strength again" Dude you are a big whiner. the off seasons not over. Kuma gets a full spring training to prep his arm this year. and Yes the bullpen can be good again.

Quit being such a baby dude its not even christmas yet.

EDIT: wayyyy too many dudes in my post. Sorry bout that lol Just choose to be happy for a little bit ok? the worlds not over, the team is improved please focus on the positive for your own sanity if nothing else! IF it falls apart we have all summer to debbie downer together. Ill be right there with you, only diff is you can say "i told you so"

Last edited by a moderator:

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude the Mariners pitching has been really good for years. The safeco effect takes average joes like chris young and turns him into the comeback player of the year.

You are sooo being a downer. "Kumas done" "the offseasons over" "our bullpen can't possibly be a strength again" Dude you are a big whiner. the off seasons not over. Kuma gets a full spring training to prep his arm this year. and Yes the bullpen can be good again.

EDIT: wayyyy too many dudes in my post. Sorry bout that lol Just choose to be happy for a little bit ok? the worlds not over, the team is improved please focus on the positive for your own sanity if nothing else! IF it falls apart we have all summer to debbie downer together. Ill be right there with you, only diff is you can say "i told you so"

:agree:

This > :gaah: is unnecessary.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pipe dream, I know, but I keep hoping that the Pad's acquired Meyers in the hopes that they could swing him to us for Walker, with the lynch-pin being them getting Kemp AND Upton to fill out their outfield while getting the young arm they want from us.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... good thing you have the Rangers to fall back on

:rollseyes:

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're good dude, no worries :)

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm stoked for the Ms this year. We got Ruggiano who can hopefully replace Saunders and Cruz is a HUGE upgrade for the DH position. Like RIDICULOUS huge. Ms were the 2nd overall WORST DH production last year, which is just ridiculous. If you're playing in the AL, you gotta have a good DH. Look how many games we lost 1-0 last year or even 2-1. That probably happens half the time with Cruz in the lineup.

Add to the fact that we didn't let Seagar go is great. Cruz/Seagar/Cano is an amazing 3-4-5 rotation. I can't really think of a better one.

IF Ackley can up his average by another 0.20 or so and Zuni tones down the power in exchange for average a bit, this team should have a decent offense, even in the void that is Safeco.

Add to that we didn't give up Walker and our pitching rotation should be better if we don't start off so injured, Seattle is in a good place.

The ONLY person I'm upset we missed out on was Melky. He didn't get much and we really just need someone that can get on base for the 3-4-5 rotation. Again, hoping that is Ackley, but holding my breath.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're right with that pitching has been a strength for the team for years, the problem with that is that last year the pitching was historically great for nearly the entire season. With the way Jack has left the staff, in order for them to win, they have to find a scrap heap guy who pitches lights out like Young not like Saunders or even Millwood.

I get the thing with Kuma but having a full spring training wouldn't have helped him last year. His arm should've been getting stronger not becoming dead at the end of the season as it did and if reports are correct from Japan it seems it is still dead.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right with that pitching has been a strength for the team for years, the problem with that is that last year the pitching was historically great for nearly the entire season. With the way Jack has left the staff, in order for them to win, they have to find a scrap heap guy who pitches lights out like Young not like Saunders or even Millwood.

I get the thing with Kuma but having a full spring training wouldn't have helped him last year. His arm should've been getting stronger not becoming dead at the end of the season as it did and if reports are correct from Japan it seems it is still dead.

THeres no rules about arms, but look how players build up there arms in spring,,,,,slowly building up pitch count....kuma basically went from zero to sixty, and he red lined at the end of the year......if anything he over performed considering.

Also paxton has a year of experience, walker should be in the rotation.....if last years staff was historically great this years rotation has more talent.

Last edited by a moderator:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THeres no rules about arms, but look how players build up there arms in spring,,,,,slowly building up pitch count....kuma basically went from zero to sixty, and he red lined at the end of the year......if anything he over performed considering.

Also paxton has a year of experience, walker should be in the rotation.....if last years staff was historically great this years rotation has more talent.

I guess we will have to disagree with Kuma, in your scenario if he went from zero to sixty his arm would've become fatigued which is not what it seemed to do, it seemed to just become dead.

This years staff on paper should be more talented but Paxton is still inexperienced and highly unlikely he is going to pitch lights out an entire year the way Young did. They don't seem to have confidence in Walker so if Kuma is not pitching like an ace then it is going to tax the crap out of the bullpen and if the bullpen is fatigued that extra few runs they might gain with Cruz is negated by an average bullpen. But that's just my opinion and why it is hard for me to be optimistic.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris young was not "lights out" last year. He had 3.65 era and got shelled on more than a few occasions. I guarantee Paxton has a better year this year than young last year.