• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I do not see a thread about the Savage hit

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully this is not a duplicate thread but I wanted to find out what everyone's thoughts were on the Tom Savage situation yesterday?

I guess I have a lot of questions about it ...

1) Shouldn't the referee who immediately went over to Savage when he was shaking after the hit have notified the Texans that Savage had probably just been concussed?

2) Doesn't the league office have a system in place where they are reviewing hits like this in New York during games and calling down to talk to the doctors on the field to let them know what they saw on replay?

3) Don't the doctors have replay ability on the field so they can see the hit and the players' immediate reaction to the hit?

I think, first off, that probably all 3 things should be happening already if the league/teams want to try and keep concussed players from re-entering games. We all know the players aren't going to admit when they are concussed so there needs to be a lot of different ways to help identify when a concussion occurs.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TV coverage for that game, in yellow:

14-FOX-E-V4.png

Nobody saw it.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they fucked it up again. He was laying there twitching.

Still played another series.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately there are multiple reason why no one is making a big deal about it. It wasn't a vicious hit so there's no outcry to suspend/fine/eject the defensive player. It wasn't a high-profile QB. Sorry, not my opinion but it's the truth. If that would've been Brady, Brees, Big Ben, Cam, Wilson, Ryan or Rodgers, the media woulda had a field day with that. Also, as noted above, unless you live in San Fran or Houston, no one saw that game. So no, no one on here is talking about a QB having a seizure on the field, throwing up blood and 5 minutes later coming back into the game, but EVERYONE on here is talking about how a fan threw beer on a player and that player made a half-assed attempt to jump into the stands. It's all about the outrage. The outrage that that fan had the nerve to throw beer on a player. Or the outrage that that player had the nerve to try and jump into the stands. No outrage when an NFL teams allows a QB to get back into the game 5 minutes after having a seizure on the field. I hope the Texans get punished to the fullest for this miscarriage of care for player health.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering it was the 2nd time (at least) that a QB played without the protocol being applied if you count the Wee One's incident somebody should do something.

The Refs should get serious or get lost.....

CruiseControl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That incident will cause major changes to the system. I am sure of it. I couldn't believe what I was watching when he came back out on the field spitting out blood. Its incredible that between his own team and coaches, the officials, and the NFL concussion protocol people no one prevented him from going back out.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering it was the 2nd time (at least) that a QB played without the protocol being applied if you count the Wee One's incident somebody should do something.

The Refs should get serious or get lost.....
Apparently Seattle are the new NFL sweethearts. Nothing came out of RWs drive by. Bennett rolling up on guys legs no suspension.. Players throwing punches no suspension... Maybe, they'll get fined? If so for Bennett it had better be some fat stacks he's a repeat offender. Regardless fines don't deter these athletes. Keeping tgem off the field gets their attention. More suspensions and less fines if the NFL wants to clear this crap up.

Look at hockey for example. Back when they started the 3rd man in or coming off the bench players adapted immediately. You see very FEW even to this day.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More suspensions and less fines if the NFL wants to clear this crap up.

Doesn't a suspension come with forfeiture of pay for that game, i.e., 1/16 of their annual salary? That's real money. For a guy who makes a couple of million a season, $10K is pocket change.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't a suspension come with forfeiture of pay for that game, i.e., 1/16 of their annual salary? That's real money. For a guy who makes a couple of million a season, $10K is pocket change.
Yep when they sit they don't get paid. My point being fines alone don't deter these athletes. Players want to be on the field.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was clear the Savage was knocked out by the way he held his arms. Didn't need the announcertotellme that.
Was shocked they let hi back in. Commented to nieghbor with who m I was watching at the time that the team doctors/league/players are still pretending when it comes down to it

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions-Bucs had a "targeting" (whatever the faggy penaltybus called) call on a defenseless receiver yesterday.

It wasn't.

Ball was caught, Howard got hit in the arms, fumbled and the Lions got the ball. But the flag ruled it an incomplete pass and a fifteen yard penalty. Then, three hours later they decided it was a catch, people get hit playing football and it was a fumble recovered by the defense. Pretty sure the whole thing wasn't reviewable. But whatever, they make the shit up as they go along. It's cool.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
his career ended yesterday. no need to care anymore.

probably why he kept trying to go back in when he realized TJ Yates was better than him.

And Deshaun Watson will be the starter in 2018.

They will watch Savage closely for the next couple of weeks because of all the controversy. He may not be cleared to play this season. After that? Another backup job, maybe Houston, maybe elsewhere.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Deshaun Watson will be the starter in 2018.

They will watch Savage closely for the next couple of weeks because of all the controversy. He may not be cleared to play this season. After that? Another backup job, maybe Houston, maybe elsewhere.

Do the pats get serious about finding Brady's replacement anytime soon? Not about his performance but the dude is my age

Brady /savage could be good for 2 years

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it seems there were multiple failed levels of security to protect this guy from going back on the field. If all they are still doing in the year 2017 is asking the player if they are 'alright' before putting them back in the game, then the league deserves all of the future lawsuits they have coming.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ref should've stopped him. His coaches should've stopped him. The people checking him to make sure he's okay should've stopped him. His teammates should've stopped him. Unfortunately, that entire team failed Tom Savage and so did the referees. There was absolutely no reason why he went back out on the field. And the coaches response? "Had I seen the video, he wouldn't of gone back out there." They showed the video on in the stadium! Are you not watching your QB after he takes a hit and gets driven down to the field? Is no one watching the play on the field?! I mean come on now. And you're telling me he was completely fine when he walked to the sideline? And NOONE saw him coughing up blood?? Bullshit. Fuck the Texans. This is the team with the same fanbase that cheered when their QB Matt Schaub got injured. What a fucking bullshit franchise and what a fucking bullshit fan base. Fuck everything about the Houston Texans.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ref should've stopped him. His coaches should've stopped him. The people checking him to make sure he's okay should've stopped him. His teammates should've stopped him. Unfortunately, that entire team failed Tom Savage and so did the referees. There was absolutely no reason why he went back out on the field. And the coaches response? "Had I seen the video, he wouldn't of gone back out there." They showed the video on in the stadium! Are you not watching your QB after he takes a hit and gets driven down to the field? Is no one watching the play on the field?! I mean come on now. And you're telling me he was completely fine when he walked to the sideline? And NOONE saw him coughing up blood?? Bullshit. Fuck the Texans. This is the team with the same fanbase that cheered when their QB Matt Schaub got injured. What a fucking bullshit franchise and what a fucking bullshit fan base. Fuck everything about the Houston Texans.

The fucking cameraman even should have stopped him.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I watched the game and I would say a couple parties had some share of the blame.

I actually won't blame the refs because I do believe they informed the sidelines to check him out and if he comes back in as a ref you assume he was cleared to do so and you wouldn't question it.

He was checked out on the sideline so I'll put some blame on those guys for not catching it and not preventing him from going back out there.

I'll put some blame on the NFL. There should be people watching the game at headquarters and once they saw that replay they should have the ability to call the sidelines and tell someone to get him out of there. There should also be a way to quickly get the people on the sidelines the video of what happened to the people checking him out.

And I'll put some blame on Savage himself. You know what happened to you and when those guys were checking you out you clearly didn't tell them you got knocked out and your hands were twitching.

If players are going to complain about safety they also need to be honest if something like this happens. Look nobody in that locker room is going to question your toughness or your desire if you're actually hurt and players won't doubt that you are unless you have a history of not toughing out. I played high school football and everyone in that locker room knew who the whirlpool divas were and knew who the guys that would be out there if they physically could.