• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I can make a team today to beat the 1992 Dream Team

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, yeah....I think they'd win.

Most teams would be defeated psychologically before the game even began.

And most of those guys, but especially MJ, Magic and Bird would kill (literally, not figuratively) to win the game.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2018 team vs 1992 team in 1992 era = 1992 team thoroughly dominates
2018 team vs 1992 team in 2018 era = 50/50
2018 team vs 1992 team in Rucker Park at any time = 1992 team thoroughly dominates

It's not about individual talent, it's about physicality, ruthless desire and team-oriented cohesion.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya never gonna change the minds of the 'Back in my day' guys

I think this core of stars could definitely go toe to toe with that Dream team

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the game closer I think today has more shooting I just think the defensive mismatches don’t go in today’s players favors and I don’t mean rules wise. I am completely ignoring that in this scenario. I like Lebron on Bird but who guards MJ. Kawhi? I think he could do a good job on him but what about Magic vs Curry? I don’t like that matchup for Curry. I think it is close but I’ll take the Dream Team 6-7/10 times. I think today’s players could defiimitely win more than most think, 3 out of 10

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with that. It's definitely not a blowout. If we're talking a 7 game series...I'm taking the Original Dream Team in 6.

The difference in defense is the deciding factor, imo.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya never gonna change the minds of the 'Back in my day' guys

I think this core of stars could definitely go toe to toe with that Dream team

While the "back in my day" guys may definitely suffer from nostalgia bias (players tend to get better in our minds the farther we get from their actual playing days), the "everything is better today" guys suffer from recency bias.

The thing that the "everything is better today" guys tend to forget however, is that the "back in my day" guys have actually seen both sets of players play their entire careers. The "everything is better today" guys haven't.

As I said in my previous post...todays guys don't get blown out by any means, but the Original Dream Team wins a 7 game series in 6, imo.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Grandma could guard 1992 Bird, LeBron wouldn't be covering him, he'd be helping on Magic and MJ. Klay and Kawhi would also try, but of course it's MJ he will get buckets. Curry isn't guarding Magic.

The thing is the 1992 team wouldn't know what to do with the new guys raining 3s on them all game. The big guys inside would be useless to stop that: Durant, Curry, Klay, Harden, LeBron, etc. would be brutal. The 1992 team has Mullin and...I guess Jordan? Again, Bird would have a heart attack if he played more than 15 minutes a game.

He would be a high scorer affair and they would have to outscore the 92 team. The matches inside don’t favor the 2018 squad but it would be very difficult to stop their outside game and in transition.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone that doesn't think the newer guys match up a lot better than people here are giving credit for aren't really thinking it through. There are 7 footers playing out there today with the handle of guards and can shoot from 25 feet. The modern basketball player on the whole is more well rounded THAN EVER BEFORE because the rules of the game have made it that way. It forced kids to learn every skill. Space and people realizing the value of the 3 point shot has made it so you have to be able to shoot, pass, dribble, and defend sideline to sideline. If you can't do all of those, you're a flawed player. Sometimes you can't even get on the court in key situations. It's why guys like Greg Monroe barely have roles now but in the past would be considered valuable. The stars on the 92 team are great, but some of them are specialized greatness ie really really good at just a couple of aspects. The modern star has a more well rounded game.

So, even if you play under the old rules where its "more physical", all those bigs like Ewing and Robinson are going to have to guard out to the 3 point line because the old rules dictate you have to stay within about a foot of your man (otherwise its illegal defense). That opens up space, which leads to driving lanes, so that old school bully ball isn't quite as menacing as you all think it is in your minds. That's not even taking into account if they can guard out that far. Go watch old NBA clips. You're going to see a lot more standing around than you think. On the flip side, taking away the zone principles of modern defense will give some heavy offensive match ups in favor players like Jordan, Robinson, Barkley, etc. But since the majority of those players strengths are shots that result in 2 points it becomes a trade off track meet. Neither team is really going to be able to contain the other so its can the modern team sacrifice enough 2 points on defense and make up for it with superior 3 point shooting? There's a far greater chance they can people realize. It's not a cake walk.

Also, Ryen Russillo always has a great point when discussions like this comes up that people need to think about; everyone agrees that athletes keep getting better and better across all sport so why all of sudden is basketball different with this "it was better back in MY day"? ("My" being whatever age the person speaking grew up with or played in)

Great post and I agree with everything. There is no way to know but the flooring spacing and athleticism would definitely be a problem for the Dream Team

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is the 1992 team wouldn't know what to do with the new guys raining 3s on them all game.

Yeah, because after all, there is just no way that some of the greatest players in the history of league would be able to figure out that they have to extend their defense to the 3 point line.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thread ended a few posts ago.

Not 1 dam killer on today's team. They shit their pants on the floor with Jordan and that team. Please

Now you are trying way too hard. If you don’t think Lebron and KD are killers you don’t watch basketballl. Plain and simple. Go back to the basement kid.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you are trying way too hard. If you don’t think Lebron and KD are killers you don’t watch basketballl. Plain and simple. Go back to the basement kid.

Man your grandma must have to be real delicate with you. She take the crust off those sammiches for you?

KD the killer making up fake twitter accounts talking to himself. What a killer. Lebron in year 14... A killer

:lol:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man your grandma must have to be real delicate with you. She take the crust off those sammiches for you?

Yeah and then after your mom would feed me and I would feed her :wink:

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and then after your mom would feed me and I would feed her :wink:

And the weak sauce comes out.. Keep it coming Jr. LMAO @ KD the killer with the 1992 dream team on the floor. Barkley would harass KD so bad about those twitter accounts, he wouldn't be able to hit the rim.

Oh the Jawwing at the current snowflakes would be classic

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, because after all, there is just no way that some of the greatest players in the history of league would be able to figure out that they have to extend their defense to the 3 point line.

Isn't it amazing the lack of respect or just cluelessness? You wonder how old some of these little guys are.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And so can you.

Remember, Bird and Magic were husks of old men, Bird never played again after. The only player on that team that's no doubt better than anyone today is of course MJ in his prime. After that today's are at least as good, and many better.

Now, in a way I'm cheating because I'm allowing non-Americans on my team like Giannis, but he's the only one. If that's a problem sub in Boogie or Draymond and those guys still win.

Here they are:

Jordan, Bird, Magic, Ewing, Robinson, Pippen, Barkley, Drexler, Malone, Stockton, Mullin, Laettner

Here's my team:

LeBron, Curry, Durant, Westbrook, Davis, Giannis, Harden, Irving, Thompson, Paul, Kawhi, Ayton for my college guy because we need more size.

Just missed, but easily could sub in: Boogie, George, Draymond, Lillard, Wall, Jokic, Griffin, and about 5 more college guys, etc.

My team beats the Dream Team 65% of the time. Which guys would you pick?

bird averaged 8.4/3.8/1.8 in those olympics. he averaged just about 20/10/7 as an "old man" for the C's. he could still play, his body wouldnt allow it.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Such a killer I have to make up a twitter handle and talk shit, because I'm not man enough to do it myself.

KD the killer

giphy.gif

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bird averaged 8.4/3.8/1.8 in those olympics. he averaged just about 20/10/7 as an "old man" for the C's. he could still play, his body wouldnt allow it.

Magic was 32 I believe in 1992 and Bird was 33? Lebron 34 now.. But Bird and Magic were just old.

Makes sense right?

Funny shit

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And so can you.

Remember, Bird and Magic were husks of old men, Bird never played again after. The only player on that team that's no doubt better than anyone today is of course MJ in his prime. After that today's are at least as good, and many better.

Now, in a way I'm cheating because I'm allowing non-Americans on my team like Giannis, but he's the only one. If that's a problem sub in Boogie or Draymond and those guys still win.

Here they are:

Jordan, Bird, Magic, Ewing, Robinson, Pippen, Barkley, Drexler, Malone, Stockton, Mullin, Laettner

Here's my team:

LeBron, Curry, Durant, Westbrook, Davis, Giannis, Harden, Irving, Thompson, Paul, Kawhi, Ayton for my college guy because we need more size.

Just missed, but easily could sub in: Boogie, George, Draymond, Lillard, Wall, Jokic, Griffin, and about 5 more college guys, etc.

My team beats the Dream Team 65% of the time. Which guys would you pick?

No dude. Just no.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different eras. Very different style of play. If the present team were to catch fire from beyond the arc, they could winc otherwise, Malone, Ewing, Robinson simply dominate inside. Also would depend on how physical they were allowed to play.

Defensively, the Dream Team is simply better. Offensively, the present has the shooting edge, but would struggle with rebounds and give up a lot of second opportunities. Just my two cents