• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

huskers win huskers win

fredmelmackian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
huskers have just beaten texas tech 9-3

tough season, but a win is a win!!!

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huskers 8-6

Win the series. If they can get the sweep tomorrow they can drop Tech into a losing regular season.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huskers 8-6

Win the series. If they can get the sweep tomorrow they can drop Tech into a losing regular season.

Actually Tech would be 27-27 for the regular season if they lose tomorrow. So they won't have a losing record.

Another GREAT win by the Huskers. I am glad they are ending the season on a high note and already can't wait till next season to prove people wrong.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Tech would be 27-27 for the regular season if they lose tomorrow. So they won't have a losing record.

Another GREAT win by the Huskers. I am glad they are ending the season on a high note and already can't wait till next season to prove people wrong.

Yeah I meant to say
'conference' record.

NU could end up .500 overall with a win tomorrow as well.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I meant to say
'conference' record.

NU could end up .500 overall with a win tomorrow as well.

I figured that was what you meant but had to point it out to make sure.

Big game today and hoping for a series sweep to take us into next season.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huskers 8-7

400px-Broom_icon.svg.png

Huskerbaseball13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Question...what do you think Mike Anderson needs to do next year to "prove people wrong?"

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question...what do you think Mike Anderson needs to do next year to "prove people wrong?"

The first thing I would do is get rid of Dave Bingham. I have wanted him gone since the day he got here.

As for the meat of the question, I think Anderson needs to continue to make this team better. Contrary to what many people want to believe they were much more competitive in games than they were last year. Here are some comparison numbers.

Hitting:
09 Avg: .282
10 Avg: .301

09 R: 351
10 R: 374

09 HR: 48
10 HR: 60

09 RBI: 309
10 RBI: 346

09 SLG%: .431
10 SLG%: .461

09 OB%: .368
10 OB%: .389

Pitching:
09 ERA: 6.22
10 ERA: 5.15

09 R: 379
10 R: 307

09 ER: 334
10 ER: 268

09 BB: 256
10 BB: 226

09 K: 361
10 K: 358

09 Opponent BA: .291
10 Opponent BA: .281

I have already said it before but will say it again. Missing out on the Big 12 tourney is unacceptable, but I look deeper into the program and the dynamic of being a northern school and am still 100% behind 2 of the main coaches and these players. If we do not make an improvement next year then I will be in favor looking in a different direction.

BTW, in a general comment not necessarily directed at Huskerbaseball13, it is obvious the North Carolina head coach Mike Fox needs to be fired since they did not make their conference tourney. ;)

Huskerbaseball13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The first thing I would do is get rid of Dave Bingham. I have wanted him gone since the day he got here.

As for the meat of the question, I think Anderson needs to continue to make this team better. Contrary to what many people want to believe they were much more competitive in games than they were last year. Here are some comparison numbers.

Hitting:
09 Avg: .282
10 Avg: .301

09 R: 351
10 R: 374

09 HR: 48
10 HR: 60

09 RBI: 309
10 RBI: 346

09 SLG%: .431
10 SLG%: .461

09 OB%: .368
10 OB%: .389

Pitching:
09 ERA: 6.22
10 ERA: 5.15

09 R: 379
10 R: 307

09 ER: 334
10 ER: 268

09 BB: 256
10 BB: 226

09 K: 361
10 K: 358

09 Opponent BA: .291
10 Opponent BA: .281

I have already said it before but will say it again. Missing out on the Big 12 tourney is unacceptable, but I look deeper into the program and the dynamic of being a northern school and am still 100% behind 2 of the main coaches and these players. If we do not make an improvement next year then I will be in favor looking in a different direction.

BTW, in a general comment not necessarily directed at Huskerbaseball13, it is obvious the North Carolina head coach Mike Fox needs to be fired since they did not make their conference tourney. ;)

Appreciate the reply back. But I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. While the numbers looked to be improved on offense on defense, its still not where they need to be and they are still near the bottom of the league. I don't think we should lower our expectations because we 2009 was such a horrible year...we certainly should not judge our program on what type of numbers we put up that year. While hitting the heck out of the ball against bad opponents is nice, what we do against big 12 teams is most important and our offense actually got worse in that department. Next years team looks to have a solid infield, but the OF could be a mess without Bailey and Belfonte our two best hitters. Also, we quite possible will lose Marriott, Yost, and Hauptman.

As for Fox, the resumes between the two coaches really isnt comparable. Fox built a monster of a program at UNC despite this year...Anderson took over a top 10 program at the time and has tore it down. In his 8 years Anderson has made 5 regionals, and only 1 super regional. 1 super regional in 8 years is not going to get it done IMO...and in other years we were in great position to make it to a super or the CWS but for whatever reasons Anderson's ballclubs play their worst ball down the stretch(minus the 2005 team.) It's not a surprise that this program has slipped so far once Childress left as he was the guy holding this bad boy together. He was our best recruiter and obviously one of the best pitching coaches in the nation. Anderson said so himself...the goal of this program every year is to finish top 4 in the Big 12, host a regional, and go from there. In order for him to be retained after next year...he should have to do exactly that. And as of right now, the way I think our roster is going to shape up to be...I highly doubt those two will be happening.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention NU swept Baylor to end 2009. So that takes a bit of luster off the sweep of Texas Tech to end 2010, and leaves more questions than answers.

I would like to see those comparison #s for 2009 and 2010 but ONLY for Big XII opponents. It may not make a difference though as NU's 2010 Big XII schedule was considered tougher than the 2009 schedule.

If those #s improved from 09 to 10 (even under a more difficult schedule) there may be a point being made.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Appreciate the reply back. But I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. While the numbers looked to be improved on offense on defense, its still not where they need to be and they are still near the bottom of the league. I don't think we should lower our expectations because we 2009 was such a horrible year...we certainly should not judge our program on what type of numbers we put up that year. While hitting the heck out of the ball against bad opponents is nice, what we do against big 12 teams is most important and our offense actually got worse in that department. Next years team looks to have a solid infield, but the OF could be a mess without Bailey and Belfonte our two best hitters. Also, we quite possible will lose Marriott, Yost, and Hauptman.

As for Fox, the resumes between the two coaches really isnt comparable. Fox built a monster of a program at UNC despite this year...Anderson took over a top 10 program at the time and has tore it down. In his 8 years Anderson has made 5 regionals, and only 1 super regional. 1 super regional in 8 years is not going to get it done IMO...and in other years we were in great position to make it to a super or the CWS but for whatever reasons Anderson's ballclubs play their worst ball down the stretch(minus the 2005 team.) It's not a surprise that this program has slipped so far once Childress left as he was the guy holding this bad boy together. He was our best recruiter and obviously one of the best pitching coaches in the nation. Anderson said so himself...the goal of this program every year is to finish top 4 in the Big 12, host a regional, and go from there. In order for him to be retained after next year...he should have to do exactly that. And as of right now, the way I think our roster is going to shape up to be...I highly doubt those two will be happening.

First paragraph, losing Yost is a blessing more than an actual loss. Losing Marriott and Hauptman will hurt assuming they go. As for the season, I agree that the numbers are not where they should be but I was just showing the progress for such a young team and to me that is suitable progress. Again, not where it should be but progress is progress.

As for the Fox comments, my question was completely in jest. You can't compare the 2 programs because one is in the south and one is in the north. You apparently failed to mention that Anderson does have one CWS trip and an actual win in the CWS. If you expect a northern school to host a regional every year then your expectations are way too high. Other than Nebraska the last few northern schools to go to the CWS are as follows. Notre Dame 2002, Kansas 1993, Creighton 1991, Maine and Indiana St 1986. So to think that a northern school was going to be able to maintain the lightning that Van Horn caught in a bottle at Nebraska is crazy.

As for Childress, I always laugh at the people that drool on his nuts so much. First of all, of course Anderson said the nice things he did considering how good of friends they are and how long they worked together. Texas A&M fans want him gone from A&M because he isn't getting the job done in their minds. Last year he started the season #1 and finished the season 6th in the conference with a 14-13 record. To think that if Childress would have stayed that Nebraska would still be rolling like Van Horn was is crazy as well. It is just flat out different in baseball in the north. I am not saying we should settle and not try but we just shouldn't be to quick to pile on.

One real question. If we get rid of Anderson who do we bring in that will actually be willing to come to a northern school and not use this as a stepping stone job and be capable of living up to the way to high expectations? The name that people keep throwing out is Brian O'Connor at Virginia because he is a Creighton guy. Why in the world would he leave a program in the south that he built that is absolutely loaded right now? And no Nebraska is not going to hire Pat Murphy who might be putting Arizona St on probation.

Huskerbaseball13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
First paragraph, losing Yost is a blessing more than an actual loss. Losing Marriott and Hauptman will hurt assuming they go. As for the season, I agree that the numbers are not where they should be but I was just showing the progress for such a young team and to me that is suitable progress. Again, not where it should be but progress is progress.

As for the Fox comments, my question was completely in jest. You can't compare the 2 programs because one is in the south and one is in the north. You apparently failed to mention that Anderson does have one CWS trip and an actual win in the CWS. If you expect a northern school to host a regional every year then your expectations are way too high. Other than Nebraska the last few northern schools to go to the CWS are as follows. Notre Dame 2002, Kansas 1993, Creighton 1991, Maine and Indiana St 1986. So to think that a northern school was going to be able to maintain the lightning that Van Horn caught in a bottle at Nebraska is crazy.

As for Childress, I always laugh at the people that drool on his nuts so much. First of all, of course Anderson said the nice things he did considering how good of friends they are and how long they worked together. Texas A&M fans want him gone from A&M because he isn't getting the job done in their minds. Last year he started the season #1 and finished the season 6th in the conference with a 14-13 record. To think that if Childress would have stayed that Nebraska would still be rolling like Van Horn was is crazy as well. It is just flat out different in baseball in the north. I am not saying we should settle and not try but we just shouldn't be to quick to pile on.

One real question. If we get rid of Anderson who do we bring in that will actually be willing to come to a northern school and not use this as a stepping stone job and be capable of living up to the way to high expectations? The name that people keep throwing out is Brian O'Connor at Virginia because he is a Creighton guy. Why in the world would he leave a program in the south that he built that is absolutely loaded right now? And no Nebraska is not going to hire Pat Murphy who might be putting Arizona St on probation.

Disagree on Yost, he has all the tools to be solid pitcher but like alot of kids...he has not been devloped like he should have been. Agreed the UNC has more built in advantges than Nebraska...with that said, Nebraska without a doubt should be the top program in the midwest year in and year out. Nobody outside of maybe the Shockers can offer what we can. Thus...we should be able to pull in the best talent around the midwest while still dip into Texas and pull some talent out of that state. I have no problem with Anderson's recruiting, I think he is a solid recruiter for the most part....with that said, it's pretty clear the coaching and development side of things are lacking. I'm not asking to host a regional every year(although that is Anderson feels that should be the standard for the this program)...but I dont think it's too much to ask to host a regional 3 or 4 times each 5 years. NU would basically have to finish top 4 in the Big 12 in MOST years to do so. Also, reaching a super regional 1 time in 8 years after what Anderson was given...just not getting it done. This program has been on a major decline ever since Anderson lost Childress, that's really not up for debate. I give MA credit for 2005, great year overall for NU baseball...with that said, that's not enough for all the other years where his teams have tanked.

As for Childress, i'm not really sure what the Aggies expected from him right away...but of course, he has done a much better job than Anderson.
- 1 regular season conference title
- 2 tournament conference titles (including first ever for school)
- 2 regional titles
- 4 straight regional appearances

Compared to, same time frame (who had more years to build/maintain)

- 0 regular season conference titles
- 0 tournament conference titles
- 0 regional titles
- 0 straight regional appearances

If/when we get rid of Anderson....I say when because I fully expect next years team to be mediocre, hopefully I'm wrong....but I dont think the coaching search will be as bad as you think. Would Brian O'connor come here? I doubt it...but there are those who know his family that say he would like to come back home at some point. UVA I guess could be classified as a "southern" team...but the temp average in Lincoln compared to UVA during the season is quite similar. But, I have from people that are close to those associated with the baseball program that the athletic department has reached out to DVH in case MA fails again next year. DVH has said if MA is let go Will Bolt should be the number 1 guy on our list. Bolt sooner rather than later will get a big time job. And no, I dont think Will Bolt would ever use NU as a stepping stone as he bleeds Husker red. With that said, I don't think we can afford to keep someone like MA around because he's here for the long haul...it comes down to wins and losses and Anderson certainly is not getting it done. Like I said, I dont expect to host a regional every year but NU should never ever not make the Big 12 tourny...especially two years in a row.