• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Husker baseball new coach

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska baseball will be adding a new coach to their staff next year. No assholes, it isn't a new head coach like you media following lemmings who don't get the landscape of college baseball want.

Darin Erstad will be a volunteer coach for the team. This makes me even more excited than I already was for next season.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing Nebraska's roster to South Carolina and UCLA....

Nebraska
Sr - 6
Jr - 8
So - 8
Fr - 14

South Carolina
Sr - 8
Jr - 8
So - 8
Fr - 11

UCLA
Sr - 3
Jr - 6
So - 11
Fr - 14

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to be a prick or anything either......this is just why this coaching staff concerns me. I'm with you though, I would like to see Anderson get this team going next season.......I just think if next season even comes close to mirroring this season, he gotsta go

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nebraska
Sr - 6
Jr - 8
So - 8
Fr - 14

South Carolina
Sr - 8
Jr - 8
So - 8
Fr - 11

UCLA
Sr - 3
Jr - 6
So - 11
Fr - 14

For the 1 millionth time (not necessarily with you), you can NOT compare a southern school or a california school with a northern school in college baseball. It is a completely different animal for a northern school in college baseball.

popeyecv64

and thats all I have to say about that
Smack dab in the middle of a great state Nebraska
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska baseball will be adding a new coach to their staff next year. No assholes, it isn't a new head coach like you media following lemmings who don't get the landscape of college baseball want.

Darin Erstad will be a volunteer coach for the team. This makes me even more excited than I already was for next season.

I really don't mind being called an asshole but being called a lemming (rodent)
come on JedBurks ---LOL !!

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the 1 millionth time (not necessarily with you), you can NOT compare a southern school or a california school with a northern school in college baseball. It is a completely different animal for a northern school in college baseball.

If only excuses could count for something......Nebraska will play good baseball as soon as the coaching staff gets them ready to play good baseball.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we sucked in the Directors cup thanks to baseball and basketball.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not an excuse if it is a fact.

I'm not that big of a baseball fan (until the CWS comes to town), but can you please explain how it's different. Not trying to start anything, just curious.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players/teams from the south actually get more practice/playing time outdoors. Northern states get typically 4-5 months of winter. When baseball practice starts Nebraska is still in the dead of winter so they must practice indoors. There is an advantage there for deep south teams.
However, Dave Van Horn (with Childress and Anderson on staff) had Nebraska teams competing with anybody. The program has fallen to pre Van Horn levels since he and Childress left. We've seen this before in many sports where a good assistant doesn't necessarily equate to being a good head coach. The former assistant (now head coach) may not have the same respect from his players, organizational skills, motivational skills, or pay attention to the same details as his predecessor. Maybe his assistants aren't up to specs but he won't fire them because they are his buddies (Cosgrove) and there is emotional attachment there (assistants family etc..) that prevents him from putting program first. It is extremely difficult to fire a friend who has a wife and children.
Who knows what factors an athletic department looks at in regards to keeping a coach on staff who's struggling. Is said coach and staff under contract where letting them go and bringing in someone new "right now" (Dan Hawkins) would cost too much? Is he bringing in a good recruiting class that will pay off down the road so they don't want to disrupt that at the moment? Anderson apparently brought in a top tier recruiting class this past season. Get the kids on board then whack the coach if next season is another disappointment.
With proper coaching and keeping it's best talent (10 - 15 players) at home, Nebraska should've been able to maintain a top 3-4 Big XII program considering the facilities and momentum left behind by Van Horn. Sadly they've fallen to the bottom 1-2.
I expect they'll have more success in the Big 10 as they don't put baseball as high a priority over there as they do in the south, but that's not saying much considering NU lost to Iowa this past season.
I don't buy into the "we're a young team" routine that has been served up the past two seasons, as the slide began prior to that, but we shall see come March 2011.
In the mean time...Let's play some football.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nebraska
Sr - 6
Jr - 8
So - 8
Fr - 14

South Carolina
Sr - 8
Jr - 8
So - 8
Fr - 11

UCLA
Sr - 3
Jr - 6
So - 11
Fr - 14

A rep for that perspective.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The multiple explanations from Mike Anderson 'himself' have been that the MLB drafts have gutted his players so his current teams have been too young the past two seasons.
Are you saying he's not being forthright, and that he should just come out and say NU can't compete with southern teams?

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players/teams from the south actually get more practice/playing time outdoors. Northern states get typically 4-5 months of winter. When baseball practice starts Nebraska is still in the dead of winter so they must practice indoors. There is an advantage there for deep south teams.
However, Dave Van Horn (with Childress and Anderson on staff) had Nebraska teams competing with anybody. The program has fallen to pre Van Horn levels since he and Childress left. We've seen this before in many sports where a good assistant doesn't necessarily equate to being a good head coach. The former assistant (now head coach) may not have the same respect from his players, organizational skills, motivational skills, or pay attention to the same details as his predecessor. Maybe his assistants aren't up to specs but he won't fire them because they are his buddies (Cosgrove) and there is emotional attachment there (assistants family etc..) that prevents him from putting program first. It is extremely difficult to fire a friend who has a wife and children.
Who knows what factors an athletic department looks at in regards to keeping a coach on staff who's struggling. Is said coach and staff under contract where letting them go and bringing in someone new "right now" (Dan Hawkins) would cost too much? Is he bringing in a good recruiting class that will pay off down the road so they don't want to disrupt that at the moment? Anderson apparently brought in a top tier recruiting class this past season. Get the kids on board then whack the coach if next season is another disappointment.
With proper coaching and keeping it's best talent (10 - 15 players) at home, Nebraska should've been able to maintain a top 3-4 Big XII program considering the facilities and momentum left behind by Van Horn. Sadly they've fallen to the bottom 1-2.
I expect they'll have more success in the Big 10 as they don't put baseball as high a priority over there as they do in the south, but that's not saying much considering NU lost to Iowa this past season.
I don't buy into the "we're a young team" routine that has been served up the past two seasons, as the slide began prior to that, but we shall see come March 2011.
In the mean time...Let's play some football.

Thank you good sir:)

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course Anderson is not going to come out and say that they can't compete with the southern schools. It is like the coach of the #16 seed in the basketball tourney. Is he going to come out and say that they are more than likely going to get crushed like all of the other #16 seeds do and can't win the game? Of course not. I am not saying that northern schools can not win against southern schools. All I am saying is that northern schools can not maintain a type of standard that most of the southern schools have and what Nebraska had for the first part of the 2000's. With the way recruiting is so slanted towards the south and the big time quality players are not in the north which makes it harder for the northern schools to get enough big time quality players to make for any losses of players.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course Anderson is not going to come out and say that they can't compete with the southern schools. It is like the coach of the #16 seed in the basketball tourney. Is he going to come out and say that they are more than likely going to get crushed like all of the other #16 seeds do and can't win the game? Of course not. I am not saying that northern schools can not win against southern schools. All I am saying is that northern schools can not maintain a type of standard that most of the southern schools have and what Nebraska had for the first part of the 2000's. With the way recruiting is so slanted towards the south and the big time quality players are not in the north which makes it harder for the northern schools to get enough big time quality players to make for any losses of players.

All I am saying is that Anderson is not maintaining a program that is competing with the northern schools either.

Creighton (5-13) L
K State (5-13) L
K State (3-8) L
Kansas (4-7) L
Kansas (1-6) L
Iowa (2-5) L
Creighton (5-8) L
Missouri (0-2) L
Missouri (7-12) L
Missouri (5-6) L

Nebraska did however excel against..

Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (21-9) W
Elon (5-3) W T3rd in Southern Conference..4th in Southern Conf tournament
Nebraska Kearney (8-1) W
Houston Baptist (10-2) W
Houston Baptist (8-0) W
Houston Baptist (13-4) W
South Dakota St (12-6) W
Northern Colorado (15-5) W
Northern Colorado (15-2) W
North Dakota (11-10) W
North Dakota (10-4) W
Wichita St (14-0) W
Southeast Missouri St (6-2) W
Southeast Missouri St (20-6) W
Southeast Missouri St (10-3) W

I take the sweep over Texas Tech to close the season with a grain of salt, as they'd done the same thing to Baylor in 2009 season and it was a "sign" that things were coming together.

Last edited by a moderator:

landon410

In the deed the glory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Come a runnin' boys
Don't you hear that noise like the thunder in the sky
How it rolls along in a good old song
From the sons of Nebraski.
Now it's coming near with a rising cheer
That will sweep all foes away,
So with all our vim
We are bound to win and we're going to win today.

For Nebraska and the scarlet
For Nebraska and the cream,
Tho' they go thru many a battle,
Our colors still are seen.
So in contest and in vict'ry
We will wave them for the team,
And 'twill always stir a Cornhusker,
The old scarlet and the cream.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a pretty good point you made there Red.

As far as Anderson goes, personally I like the guy and I think he has a mind for baseball....I don't think there is any doubt about that. I just don't know if he is great at creating unity on his team.

I was once a college athlete, and I remember what it was like for a good part of the first season there.......you go into the situation thinking about yourself and not about the team. A good coaching staff (see Bo Pelini's staff) will take these young kids and instantly pull the rug out from under each of them and let them know that it's about winning as a team, and not about individual achievements.

From what I've gathered in the past from the friends that I had on the baseball team at Nebraska, there was a lot of division among the players and Anderson didn't do anything about it. Some players liked each other, some hated each other.....most didn't give a shit if they won or lost. Most of them wanted to go on to the next level and that was all they cared about. Of course that year there were like 13 kids who transferred and some of those kids were seeing plenty of playing time....

OlSkoolHuskr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Jed, ESPN states that Ernstad will be an assistant coach under Mike Anderson....a hitting coach I believe is what I read. That would make him a coach and not a volunteer wouldn't it?