• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hunter Strickland

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants Claim Hunter Strickland: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Stats look pedestrian. He has never pitched above AA. OK K/BB, but his WHIP is unimpressive.

I will trust the PTB on this, I guess...

Good size, 6'4", 220. Maybe Righetti saw something to improve that no one else has. I'd love to have a beer with Righetti sometime and ask him about how he spots potential. Like a poker player, though, he probably wouldn't reveal his REAL secrets, or else others would copy him.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 year old scouting report:

Strickland came along with SS Argenis Diaz from the Red Sox in exchange for Adam LaRoche. When he was acquired he generally threw in the upper-80s to low-90s, although he reached 94 in the last two games before the trade. He obviously does not have a swing-and-miss secondary pitch, as shown by his very low K rate. His strength instead is his ability to locate his fastball. Although he was not rated by Baseball America among Boston’s top 30 prospects coming into 2009, the Red Sox considered him a sleeper prospect. The Pirates consider him athletic and no doubt like his size; scouts are fascinated by RHPs who are 6’4″ and above.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming into this season, he was ranked 14th among Pittsburgh's starting pitchers in the minors.... ahead of Tim Alderson at least.

Meh.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming into this season, he was ranked 14th among Pittsburgh's starting pitchers in the minors.... ahead of Tim Alderson at least.

Meh.

Alderson is still ranked as a SP? I thought they moved him into the Pen years ago to try to salvage his career?

I assume they claimed him because at some time in the past, one of the scouts saw something in him that they liked, and they thought it would be worth it to bring him into the org for a few months to get a closer look.

WCS...

He gets DFA'd in 2 months and we are stuck paying his 75K per year...

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alderson is still ranked as a SP? I thought they moved him into the Pen years ago to try to salvage his career?

I assume they claimed him because at some time in the past, one of the scouts saw something in him that they liked, and they thought it would be worth it to bring him into the org for a few months to get a closer look.

WCS...

He gets DFA'd in 2 months and we are stuck paying his 75K per year...

1) Since this is his first "pro" contract - he was added to the 40-man this past Nov - his salary for the season is probably around $35K. (When he signs his second and subsequent contracts the min goes up to $80K.)

2) If the Giants release him and no other team claims him, the team will only be responsible for his salary only for the remainder of the year. (the "75K per year" sounds like an ongoing thing - it isn't. Strickland only has a one-year contract.)

3) in terms of performance, he was injured for parts of 2010 (elbow) and missed all of 2011 due to rotator cuff problems (and then surgery). So the Giants are taking a ~$35K risk to see if they can turn him into something. And they have 3 option years - 2 after this year - to do it. I have no problem with that. I think it's a much better deal and a much lower risk than giving Tejada $6.5M to play SS a coupla years ago.