• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How Kaepernick was stolen from the Raiders

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colin Kaepernick could have been an Oakland Raider if not for failed trade - NFL - Peter King - SI.com

Kaepernick a Raider? A look into the fateful trade that wasn't

Read More: Colin Kaepernick could have been an Oakland Raider if not for failed trade - NFL - Peter King - SI.com

TURLOCK, Calif. -- Colin Kaepernick a Raider. Imagine the change in history.

"I think about it all the time, believe me,'' Hue Jackson, the rookie Raiders coach on Draft Day 2011, said Sunday night. "No question in my mind we wanted it to happen, and no question I thought it could happen. We wanted the kid in the worst way.''

I was with Kaepernick Thursday night when he surprised his retiring Turlock Pitman High football coach, Brandon Harris, at the Pitman High School graduation about two hours east of San Francisco. What a surprise it was. Walking offstage on a warm central California night, the begowned Harris hugged Kaepernick and said: "You came for this?! Unbelievable!"

Before the event, I spoke with Kaepernick and his dad, Rick, mentioning to them I'd been with the 49ers on draft weekend 2011 when they traded up and picked him. I asked both about reports (some of them mine) that the Raiders were interested in picking him as much as the Niners were.

"Coach Jackson told me before the draft they were going to do everything they could to try to get me,'' said Kaepernick. "I thought there was a good chance they'd pick me. I never heard anything from the 49ers before the draft after I worked out for them [at Nevada]. I just figured they weren't interested."

Brilliant disguise. That was the first fast one coach Jim Harbaugh and GM Trent Baalke -- working together for the first time -- pulled on the league, and, as you have seen, it wasn't the last.

A quick recent history lesson: The Raiders had Kaepernick the top-rated quarterback on their draft board -- ahead of the five quarterbacks who were taken ahead of him that year (Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder and Andy Dalton). And both teams knew they could wait until the second round to get him. The Niners picked seventh overall (Aldon Smith) and 45th, Oakland 48th, having given up its first-round pick in the Richard Seymour deal with New England.

Baalke called the Patriots, who owned the first pick of the second round, and offered two third-round picks (one in '11, one in '12) to move up 12 spots. New England wanted one of the thirds to be a second. No dice, Baalke said. Oakland called New England too, and failed to get the pick. "When we talked internally,'' Jackson said, "we knew we needed to fortify the offensive line, and we really liked Stefan Wisniewski. I think [Al Davis] felt we'd get a lineman who we figured could play for us for 10 years, then we had two third-round picks, and we'd try to move up late in the second round or higher in the third and try to get Colin."

But the 49ers knew the Raiders loved Kaepernick; it'd been in the media before the draft. So they kept working the top of the second round, and finally got the Broncos, at 36, to bite. Good price, too: It didn't cost the Niners two third-round picks to move up; it cost fourth- and fifth-rounders. "When they made the trade,'' Jackson said, "I knew exactly what they were going to do. They were going to take Colin."

Rick Kaepernick, Colin's dad, told me he'd heard Al Davis threw a glass across the room when it was announced San Francisco had taken him.

"I don't know that he threw anything,'' said Jackson. "But he was upset. So was I. Scouting him, I fell in love with the kid. Leader, won a ton of games at Nevada, really impressive when you talked to him, strong, all the tools to win in the NFL. No doubt in my mind he was going to be good.''

Would Jackson still be coaching Oakland had Kaepernick fallen to them? Certainly, Carson Palmer wouldn't have been traded to the quarterback-needy Raiders six months later. Certainly, the Raiders wouldn't have used (wasted?) a third-round Supplemental Draft pick two months later on Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor. With Kaepernick, the Raiders likely would have stuck him in the lineup in mid-2011, when Jason Campbell went down with an injury. And I doubt sincerely Oakland would have gone 4-12 last fall with Kaepernick playing.

Not to be a wise guy, but figure the Patriots had the same pricetag for the Raiders that they did for San Francisco: second- and third-round picks in 2011 and a third-rounder in 2012. Let's see what the Raiders could have traded to move up to get Kaepernick:

• Center Stefen Wisniewski (second round, 2011). Had a so-so rookie year at left guard, then a slightly better year when switched to center in 2012. Center of the future for the Raiders, but not likely a Pro Bowl player.

• Cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke (third round, 2011). Played about 30 percent of the snaps as a backup corner in 2011. Released in the last cut last year.

• Quarterback Terrelle Pryor (third round, 2012, with pick assigned to Supplemental Draft in 2011). He has thrown 30 passes in mop-up duty in two years. Doesn't appear to have much chance to be the Raiders quarterback of the future.

Would you, Raiders fans, trade Wisniewski, Van Dyke and Pryor for Kaepernick?

Thought so.

Of course, San Francisco's pretty pleased with the results. It's not exactly the value of getting Joe Montana 82nd in the 1979 draft, but getting Kaepernick at 36 could turn out to be a franchise-altering deal if he can stay upright. The pick sure looks good now, after Kaepernick replaced Alex Smith in November 2012 and quarterbacked the Niners to their excruciating Super Bowl loss in his second season.

"Ever wonder what would have happened if the other team in the Bay Area had picked you?'' I asked Colin at Pitman High Thursday night.

"I don't think too much about things like that,'' Kaepernick said. Then he smiled. "But I am pretty happy how things turned out."

Read More: Colin Kaepernick could have been an Oakland Raider if not for failed trade - NFL - Peter King - SI.com

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is stories like this that make me think the 9ers did the right thing trading up to get Reid. You never know who has kept their mouth shut and wants to steal your player.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Some interesting tidbits in that article. That FO Raiders meltdown would have been really cool to witness!

I really think the Bangels would have snagged Reid a few picks later, so the move had to be made if he was the guy. I felt a little better after learning we got a bargain from what the Bears wanted a pick later.

Also from that article I do like seeing that Baalke didn't panic and overpay in a trade with the Patriots. That makes me feel a little better about the Reid pick as well.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It is stories like this that make me think the 9ers did the right thing trading up to get Reid. You never know who has kept their mouth shut and wants to steal your player.

yep, go get him. it IS tough to trade picks away, especially for guys REALLY into the draft. this reduces the number of guys they can pimp, but one top guy makes up for a lot.

prior to drafts we might get too caught up in the general draft concensus? so we like to be cute and 'slide' players down, but with 31 other teams........31......can't assume these other teams follow 'general concensus'.

if a player doesn't pan out - and yes it can happen - then your evaluation was wrong, not your trade.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, couldn't read the article. I couldn't get past the photo of Kaepernick at the top looking like a complete fool with the flat brim. Too dsigusting.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would bust in Oakland you Niner fans would rag on him.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, if he was on the Raiders it would have been a completely different situation and you could be looking at a different player. When he was drafted he was very raw which is why he lasted that long. You can't assume he would be great on that team with those coaches/offense/surrounding cast. He could have easily flopped.

Coming out I ideally wanted him to be able to sit for two full years before starting. He got about a year and a half which was cool. In Oakland he likely would have been pressed into action very early and been asked to do a lot. Even if they did try to bring him along slowly, they probably wouldn't use him in the pistol either.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, couldn't read the article. I couldn't get past the photo of Kaepernick at the top looking like a complete fool with the flat brim. Too dsigusting.

^ yea what a tool bc he has a flat brim hat, hahah. Anyone that is judging a guy bc of how he wears his hat is a damn loser, flat out. CK has been nothing but great and acted with class since he has been in San Fran, get a life

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
so if the Raiders had pulled the trigger and gotten Kaep, what would we have done?

likely drafted another QB, just not necessarily in round 1. for example, we might've drafted Tolzien round 6?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so if the Raiders had pulled the trigger and gotten Kaep, what would we have done?

likely drafted another QB, just not necessarily in round 1. for example, we might've drafted Tolzien round 6?

Kaep was round two and there's no telling what would have happened. JH was/is in love with Kaep. If we didn't get him, might not have drafted a QB at all that year. Then, Alex would have gotten to the NFCG, probably would have looked to get a late rounder the next year like Nick Foles or Kirk Cousins. In the end, JH would have been crushed and no one we would have a chance at drafting would have been able to replace Kaep for him.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
awesome story. shows our staff does their homework.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, go get him. it IS tough to trade picks away, especially for guys REALLY into the draft. this reduces the number of guys they can pimp, but one top guy makes up for a lot.

prior to drafts we might get too caught up in the general draft concensus? so we like to be cute and 'slide' players down, but with 31 other teams........31......can't assume these other teams follow 'general concensus'.

if a player doesn't pan out - and yes it can happen - then your evaluation was wrong, not your trade.

Couple thoughts here Brother Deep ~

First, when it comes to making draft picks there is never 31 other teams in the draft - There is only you and the other team(s) that want YOUR player.

Thus far, with regard to Kap, we have two. Now, fast forward to today and there are probably 20+ teams that would give their wives for a weekend to be first in line just for the chance to Trade for Kap.

Second, if you trade-up for a poorly evaluated player that doesn't pan-out - then both your eval and your trade were wrong, not just your eval.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ yea what a tool bc he has a flat brim hat, hahah. Anyone that is judging a guy bc of how he wears his hat is a damn loser, flat out. CK has been nothing but great and acted with class since he has been in San Fran, get a life

Great, yes. Classy, hardly. The Kaepernicking nonsense comes to mind, along with the Gangster wannabe brim.

As for "getting a life", as the great Burton Cummings said: "Got one already..."

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great, yes. Classy, hardly. The Kaepernicking nonsense comes to mind, along with the Gangster wannabe brim.

As for "getting a life", as the great Burton Cummings said: "Got one already..."

Great Song!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Couple thoughts here Brother Deep ~

First, when it comes to making draft picks there is never 31 other teams in the draft - There is only you and the other team(s) that want YOUR player.

Thus far, with regard to Kap, we have two. Now, fast forward to today and there are probably 20+ teams that would give their wives for a weekend to be first in line just for the chance to Trade for Kap.

Second, if you trade-up for a poorly evaluated player that doesn't pan-out - then both your eval and your trade were wrong, not just your eval.

Brother Bem........since you would never know prior.....who wants YOUR player, you have to assume 31. way up HIGH you might know 'for the most part', but not so much in the 2nd.

btw - yeah, Kaep was the 2nd, traded up for him. my error on posting 1st round.

disagree with your trade being wrong, because you evaluate first to obtain a value. you then execute a trade to 'match' that value, you wouldn't overpay the value you determined. but no big deal, not enough to go back and forth on.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

The Kaepernicking was a direct response to an article criticizing his tats. Was is classy per se? Maybe not. Was it "unclassy"? I don't think so.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kaepernicking was a direct response to an article criticizing his tats. Was is classy per se? Maybe not. Was it "unclassy"? I don't think so.

True. A lotta people loved it. What do I know. Just don't dig the self-aggrandizement. I prefer the Barry Sanders "Been there, done that" reaction to scoring a TD.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brother Bem........since you would never know prior.....who wants YOUR player, you have to assume 31. way up HIGH you might know 'for the most part', but not so much in the 2nd.

btw - yeah, Kaep was the 2nd, traded up for him. my error on posting 1st round.

disagree with your trade being wrong, because you evaluate first to obtain a value. you then execute a trade to 'match' that value, you wouldn't overpay the value you determined. but no big deal, not enough to go back and forth on.

I feel this is 100% incorrect because you will never have all 32 teams looking to fill the same position at any time on draft day. Thus at no point would any one team be worried about all the other teams during the draft. Thinking and acting as you are suggesting reduces draft science to a crap shoot.

Deep, when we go into the draft we have our board and we also have a pretty darn good idea what all the other teams are looking for and specifically what other teams may be looking at our players.

This knowledge is part of being a good GM, like Baalke. So, again, there is never a time when any GM is worried about all the other teams - sorry Brother Deep, but that is just the way it is.

If it were the way you think it is, the NFL would be full of paranoid GM's making insane random Mike Ditka trades all draft day; which, may be fun to watch and might even make the draft go quicker, but it is just not realistic.

And finally, I completely understand your explanation on the trade and you may even be correct. But I am not sure how a bad eval can lead to a good draft trade. I tend to think either both are good or both are bad - the outcomes whether good or bad are inextricably linked. Maybe both are correct and it just depends on personal perspective.