• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How far does WSU get in the dance?

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've had this discussion on various boards, but I just wanted to bring all of the conversations to one board for something of a comparison.

Their rankings in the various polls and indices are pretty high:

the polls have them the highest
BPI is solid at 4
RPI, Kenpom, and Massey all have them in the 5-10 area
And Sagarin has them at 15.

Worst stat (and probably the reason for this even being a question): their SOS is 103, and will get a little worse by Selection Sunday.

But they are undefeated, and should remain so until at least the second round game in the tourney. By then, they should be 35-0.

How far do you see them realistically getting? Not where they could get, but where they will get.

Consider everything from last year's FF, the pressure of being undefeated going into the tourney, their record, their SOS, players, coaches, tourney SOS, opposing coaches, locations, etc.

Put it all together, and list the round. You can put your reasoning, for discussion purposes.

I just want to see where everyone on here is at, concerning the Mighty Shockers from Wichita State.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering they beat a 1 and a 2 last year and played Louisville close, I'd say they could definitely make it to the Final 4. Which is not to say they will.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
without a bracket id say they are a SS at worst, but who knows what 8 seed they may get.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lose in Sweet 16

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
without a bracket id say they are a SS at worst, but who knows what 8 seed they may get.

And this.

Without knowing matchups, and potential matchups...who's to say.

Though, they returned everyone (I think) from last years' run, so I would say SS is a safe bet, but again...depends on seeding and matchups.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As others have said you can't predict where any team gets until you see match ups.

Every single team in the nation as a team or two(many have even more) that are not good match ups for them and will make games very tough to win.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering they beat a 1 and a 2 last year and played Louisville close, I'd say they could definitely make it to the Final 4. Which is not to say they will.

Right, but I'd like to know where you think they will get to, not where they could to.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that there isn't a bracket yet, and it depends on matchups. My question is more like: Are they a FF team? Are they an Elite Eight team? Are they a National Champion? Are the a Sweet 16 team?

They could get some good matchups, and they could get some tough matchups. I think once the brackets come out, it will be a little clearer to predict. But I am asking beforehand, because I just want to know what kind of team everyone thinks they are.

Whether they make it that far depends on matchups, and the actual games played. But right now, with all of the evidence, how far do you think they get?

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A team gets better through having to play good talent. Wichita St. has had a free ride for the past two months when the rest of the teams had to fight it out. IMO, they lose the game that would put them in the E-8.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A team gets better through having to play good talent. Wichita St. has had a free ride for the past two months when the rest of the teams had to fight it out. IMO, they lose the game that would put them in the E-8.

Personally, I completely agree with this. I think they are a Sweet 16 team.

I would say something like this:

Lose in first round: 0%
Lose in second round: 15%
Lose in Sweet 16: 45%
Lose in Elite Eight: 25%
Lose in FF: 10%
Lose in NC game: 4%
Win NC game: 1%

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that there isn't a bracket yet, and it depends on matchups. My question is more like: Are they a FF team? Are they an Elite Eight team? Are they a National Champion? Are the a Sweet 16 team?

They could get some good matchups, and they could get some tough matchups. I think once the brackets come out, it will be a little clearer to predict. But I am asking beforehand, because I just want to know what kind of team everyone thinks they are.

Whether they make it that far depends on matchups, and the actual games played. But right now, with all of the evidence, how far do you think they get?

Well I think it is obvious they are final 4/title contender.

Cmon they made it last year. Return everyone. Are undefeated.

O yeah, and they actually had the lead for almost the whole game against the tourney favorites and eventual champs last year.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think it is obvious they are final 4/title contender.

Cmon they made it last year. Return everyone. Are undefeated.

O yeah, and they actually had the lead for almost the whole game against the tourney favorites and eventual champs last year.

On paper they may be, but I don't even think they'll sniff the FF.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On paper they may be, but I don't even think they'll sniff the FF.

Then what the heck is your question?

What you are saying is completely subjective.

You just said before that you wanted to know what type of team they are without the brackets.

They are a final 4 type team. Everything this group of players has accomplished proves that. Obviously they could easily end up losing before it like every other team depending on match ups.

Your question is exactly based on paper lol.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then what the heck is your question?

What you are saying is completely subjective.

You just said before that you wanted to know what type of team they are without the brackets.

They are a final 4 type team. Everything this group of players has accomplished proves that. Obviously they could easily end up losing before it like every other team depending on match ups.

Your question is exactly based on paper lol.

It's definitely not based on paper, it's based on what each person's opinion of how far WSU will go. On paper, they are a #1 seed, and should go to the FF, perhaps the title game. But I'm interested on what people think of how far this team will go, based on what they think of the team. That's why I'm specifically not asking how far they should go. They should go to the FF. I'm asking how far you think they will go; not based on who they play, or the matchups, but just based on how you think WSU looks this year.

I don't think they will sniff the FF this year.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's definitely not based on paper, it's based on what each person's opinion of how far WSU will go. On paper, they are a #1 seed, and should go to the FF, perhaps the title game. But I'm interested on what people think of how far this team will go, based on what they think of the team. That's why I'm specifically not asking how far they should go. They should go to the FF. I'm asking how far you think they will go; not based on who they play, or the matchups, but just based on how you think WSU looks this year.

I don't think they will sniff the FF this year.

That's exactly what you are asking then. Is how do they look,

They look like a final 4 team. They haven't lost one time all year after making the final 4.

Any objective view point will tell you that.

Your question makes no sense, it's so open ended and subjective. If we are not using match ups the. We use what we know about them. HAVE NOT LOST.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say they lose in the S16.

I think they're a much better team than that, but I just don't think they're schedule does them any favors in terms of being prepared. The 2nd and 3rd round games would likely be their toughest games of the entire year.

Last year, they had 5 top-100 teams in their conference... this year they have 0. Transitioning from that conference schedule to the NCAA tourney will be TOUGH.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could go all the way but could see them getting stuck with ok st in the rd of 32

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I completely agree with this. I think they are a Sweet 16 team.

I would say something like this:

Lose in first round: 0%
Lose in second round: 15%
Lose in Sweet 16: 45%
Lose in Elite Eight: 25%
Lose in FF: 10%
Lose in NC game: 4%
Win NC game: 1%

Your numbers confused me.

You must mean win instead of lose, 4 percent chance to lose in the NC

I'd say they have a 70 percent chance to get to SS. And a 20 percent to get to EE, and a 5 percent chance to get to FF.

I really think they can dominate into the SS. Yes there schedule sucks, but not losing one game is pretty nutty. I think once in the sweet 16, they will have a tough game against a good 4/5 seed. They fairly well might edge that game out, but I doubt they get past the 2 or 3 seed, a lot of great 2 and 3 seeds this year, pretty spread across the board.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wonder what they would do in a real conference. In the Big 12, Pac12, ACC, etc. they'd probably lose at least 4-5 games in conference play.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wichita has A. Good, experienced guards, B. Length and athleticism, C. Real tourney experience and D. A great coach. Also dont underestimate the value of confidence, this teams hasnt lost in almost a full calendar year. Impossible to say how far they can go without seeing the matchups but there arent many teams Id pick to be the Shockers ( maybe 8ish ) so to me they are an EE team on average but they can win the natty.