• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How embarassing is this loss?

7NationalChampionships

SportsHoopla Top 10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off let me say hello to everyone old and new, I should be able to post more now that my work has slowed down and the end of the year pressure is gone. With that said, how does this Clemson loss rank with the mounting embarrassing losses the Stoops regime has made us endure this season? Where would you rank this loss between getting blown out at home by Baylor and the Ok State debacle? I don't know where I'm going to rank it yet in our 5 loss season, worst season under Stoops since the Thompson/Bomar year...05 I think? In any case, I will now say that something needs to change in Soonerland, losing by a touchdown or having a competitive game is one thing, but getting blown out by the Baylors and Clemsons of the world? Unacceptable, no disrespect to those programs, but OU "should" have a lot higher talent level than both of those schools combined. I personally don't think it is a talent issue, these kids could start for any D1 school in the nation, we have a coaching issue...a big, obvious one. They need to be looking at what Alabama and Auburn are doing by hiring highly touted coaches as assistants e.g., Kiffin and Muschamp. Let's face it, our program is the biggest failure of the season, to have such high pre season expectations and then to end up where we did? Mind boggling...Stoops better figure out something quick or the bells of change will surly be ringing at his doorstep. Thanks for reading my rant fellow Sooner Brethren. :yo:

t7NC

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too am of the opinion that Bob needs to get him some innovators and high profile coordinators.

He is too damn loyal. Keep your brother on the staff and give him whatever damn title you want. Same with his golden boy, Heupel.

The failures should rest on their shoulders and if Bob won't replace them then Bob has to be replaced. OU should be recycling coordinators out left and right. A coach is best remembered by his pedigree and right now Stoops is waning.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too am of the opinion that Bob needs to get him some innovators and high profile coordinators.

He is too damn loyal. Keep your brother on the staff and give him whatever damn title you want. Same with his golden boy, Heupel.

The failures should rest on their shoulders and if Bob won't replace them then Bob has to be replaced. OU should be recycling coordinators out left and right. A coach is best remembered by his pedigree and right now Stoops is waning.

Mark, I don't agree. We are paying top dollar to the coordinators. Heupel (at best!) would serve a purpose being demoted to QB coach again and paid less than he's getting now. It would still make him the highest paid QB coach in the country but it would not deserve an OC salary to coach QB's. There is NO place for Mike Stoops if he's not the DC. He needs to be released. We can't afford to pay these guys for not doing their jobs just to be nice.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That sums it up right there. I think Bob may still have it in him, but he has zero incentive to make any changes. I am not a fan of any contract that gives anyone an entire decade of assured income at the price point he's being paid. It breeds mediocrity.

It's like my dad used to say about parents who bitched about their kids not applying themselves in school but still get to wear all kinds of nice clothes, drive their cars, and go out with friends. Why would they change? Everything around them is comfortable. They have zero incentive to change the status quo. Exact same thing applies here. Time to make Bob uncomfortable. Making wholesale changes to his staff should not be optional, and I don't mean a couple of lower level assistants. I'm talking Heupel, Mike, and Norvell all need to go. He needs to be told he needs to make some big changes to his staff that positively affect this program because if he doesn't, the next position they'll be looking to make a change at is his position.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many years too long did Mack Brown stay at Texas?
How many years too long did Bobby Bowden stay at Florida State?

When a Coach stops coaching what do you do???
YOU KICK HIS ASS TO THE CURB/THATS WHAT THE FUCK YOU DO

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, yeah....... Thanks for the memories Bob.

Sayonara Mother Fucker

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many years too long did Mack Brown stay at Texas?
How many years too long did Bobby Bowden stay at Florida State?

When a Coach stops coaching what do you do???
YOU KICK HIS ASS TO THE CURB/THATS WHAT THE FUCK YOU DO

What you don't do is let the status quo continue. The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over while expecting different results. How much longer do we participate in this insanity?

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you don't do is let the status quo continue. The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over while expecting different results. How much longer do we participate in this insanity?

It's been a steady and slow downward spiral for a few years now.
Bob doesn't intend to change. He's fat and happy.
He's done coaching, and forcing him to hire new assistants wont change that fact.
They made Mack fire/hire new people multiple times and it didn't work.
If the main man isn't into it any more, doesn't have that fire anymore, doesn't have that drive, then it's time for him to go.

I think it's that time.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a steady and slow downward spiral for a few years now.
Bob doesn't intend to change. He's fat and happy.
He's done coaching, and forcing him to hire new assistants wont change that fact.
They made Mack fire/hire new people multiple times and it didn't work.
If the main man isn't into it any more, doesn't have that fire anymore, doesn't have that drive, then it's time for him to go.

I think it's that time.

Remember Switzer was given an opportunity to get his shit turned around and he did. I'm not saying it's not time to cut ties with Stoops, but remember Switzer got an opportunity to right the ship with a very strong suggestion that he was on a short leash, and did.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark, I don't agree. We are paying top dollar to the coordinators. Heupel (at best!) would serve a purpose being demoted to QB coach again and paid less than he's getting now. It would still make him the highest paid QB coach in the country but it would not deserve an OC salary to coach QB's. There is NO place for Mike Stoops if he's not the DC. He needs to be released. We can't afford to pay these guys for not doing their jobs just to be nice.

Top dollar to shit coordinators. Not innovators. Not considered the cream of the top.

Did you type wrong or misunderstand me? I'm sayin we need a new offensive coordinator and a new defensive coordinator. Bob needs to bring in hired guns. If he won't do it, then he needs to be replaced.

Papalou

disMEMBER
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stoops will turn it around. A new offensive scheme would do wonders.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stoops will turn it around. A new offensive scheme would do wonders.

We need a new offensive staff, save for our RB coach, and maybe our O line coach. Heupel and Norvell need to go. Whoever is working with the WR's needs to go.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember Switzer was given an opportunity to get his shit turned around and he did. I'm not saying it's not time to cut ties with Stoops, but remember Switzer got an opportunity to right the ship with a very strong suggestion that he was on a short leash, and did.

I remember that. 8 good years then 3 bad years in a row. He recovered and won another NC.
Wilkinson had 12 years before he got burned out. He had 10 loses in his first 12 years, then had 19 loses in his last 5 years.

Everybody has their limit. Bob has done it for a long time and might have some more, but I think the shelf life for Bob Stoops has run it's course.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top dollar to shit coordinators. Not innovators. Not considered the cream of the top.

Did you type wrong or misunderstand me? I'm sayin we need a new offensive coordinator and a new defensive coordinator. Bob needs to bring in hired guns. If he won't do it, then he needs to be replaced.

Knowing me I probably typed wrong and misunderstood too. :) The point I was making is we shouldn't keep Heupel around in a new position (if we tried to salvage him as a QB coach) with a salary remotely similar to what he's making now. I think he'd leave before he suffered that indignity. Mike Stoops just needs to be kicked to the curb. We can't afford to be paying big salaries to deadwood. We need to spend the money on doing what you recommend: hiring top notch coaches from wherever they are now and be able to pay them whatever it takes to get them. But doing that would not guarantee Stoops would turn it around. If you give a bad General the best staff in the world he'll still lose battles. There's just something about the Top Guy that eventually seeps down into the lowest ranks.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very embarrassing...for me it is the biggest embarassment of the Stoops years. The other two that were up there are the USC debacle and the AtM a couple years ago.

The program seems to have absolutely no identity. I really am just speechless. It is definelty at the point where you can't ignore the issues of lack of development of players, lack of a working gameplan.

It sucks beating lower tiered teams, (i.e. Kansas, Iowa State, Northern Whoever) only to struggle against good competition. When I look at our season, we could have easily or should have lost to Texas and didn't to anything the second half against Tennessee, it was just ugly.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've known Barry Switzer a long time and in all our conversations over the years he has never once claimed that his great coaching was the key to his success. He is generous with his praise for all his assistant coaches but he has always insisted (always!) that the key to his success was the players. He often told the press when they claimed he was just lucky, "We recruit our luck!". And that is the key ingredient missing right now. We have a talent level that is bad.....really bad.....for a program like Oklahoma. We simply don't have the athletes to compete right now. Why? Poor coaching doesn't help any because who the hell wants to come to Oklahoma and not improve like players do under other coaches? The sad part is we didn't win NC's with Sam Bradford, Adrian Peterson and a shit load of other great players because we (a) didn't have ENOUGH outstanding talent and (b) the coaching sucked. Stoops & Co. need to recruit much better. If they don't, you can have the best coaches and we will still be stuck with no NC's. Right now we're 8-5. That's how bad it has gotten. Barry Switzer told me and some other guys about a year ago that our talent level is just not close to where it needs to be. And that was AFTER beating Alabama!. I tend to think Barry knows a little bit about football and I'll take his opinion as fact.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it talent or the mindset of the talent? I think the team needs a sports psychologist. This team is nothing like the team that fought TCU tooth and nail on the road. Yes the play calling by Josh sucks and I never wanted Knight as the starter for his durability issues and his poor decisions not to mention his lack of accuracy. But I digress. What I wanted to point out was how different this team was after the loss to TCU. They never had the same heart the rest of the season. Our secondary needs help and that may very well be a talent issue. Run stopping with Phillips has been much improved and we have got pressure on the QB but our DB's are freaking horrible. All that said I think our defense is fixable. Its a little thing called tackling drills! The offense is never going to be consistent with Josh and Trevor not to mention the WR's lack of talent. I really hope DGB stays for next season. With DGB and Mixon we may be really good with Mayfield as the trigger man. Always hope for next season ;-)

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because we got rocked it was pretty embarassing but thankfully, other teams have gotton it handed it to them as well to take some of the limelight off of OU.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it talent or the mindset of the talent? I think the team needs a sports psychologist. This team is nothing like the team that fought TCU tooth and nail on the road. Yes the play calling by Josh sucks and I never wanted Knight as the starter for his durability issues and his poor decisions not to mention his lack of accuracy. But I digress. What I wanted to point out was how different this team was after the loss to TCU. They never had the same heart the rest of the season. Our secondary needs help and that may very well be a talent issue. Run stopping with Phillips has been much improved and we have got pressure on the QB but our DB's are freaking horrible. All that said I think our defense is fixable. Its a little thing called tackling drills! The offense is never going to be consistent with Josh and Trevor not to mention the WR's lack of talent. I really hope DGB stays for next season. With DGB and Mixon we may be really good with Mayfield as the trigger man. Always hope for next season ;-)

Striker has said he is coming back. I doubt DGB stays and I've even heard that Shep might leave early. Phillips has declared and who knows who else might, now....

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillips really hurts if he goes. Can't see Shepard leaving early he is too close to Bob. Never had DGB on the field but you would think he would want a year of playing to prove to the scouts what he has. Then again he may just do pro day.