• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How does Alphonse Taylor stack up with our other D-line commits?

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an article by Aaron Suttles, I'll just post what he said about each one...

Alphonse Taylor:6-foot-6, 340 pounds.
"Obviously Taylor's size is what is intriguing about how he projects on an Alabama defensive line known for being beyond difficult to run the ball against. Naturally he's drawn Terrance Cody (6-foot-5, 395) comparisons due to his size. It will be interesting to watch how he progresses when he can solely concentrate on one side of the ball (he played both ways for Davidson). If his conditioning/strength improves, Taylor will figure into UA's plans for nose tackle. With the departure of Josh Chapman, that leaves senior Jesse Williams (6-foot-4, 319) and sophomore Brandon Ivory (6-foot-4, 308) to rotate at nose guard. How much Taylor contributes to the 2012 squad is largely dependent on how ready he is when fall camp rolls around. He will enroll at Alabama for the spring semester, which give him an opportunity to go through spring practice with the team. It also gives him a jump start to immerse himself into Coach Scott Cochran's strength and conditioning program."

Dakota Ball:6-foot-2, 292 pounds.
"Ball reminds me of a Nick Gentry-type players -- high motor, plays through the whistle and exhibits a nasty attitude between the lines. He already comes equipped with good strength, which will only increase at UA. He uses his hands well to shed blockers, but will need to refine his technique under the tutelage of assistant coach Chris Rumph. Ball will benefit from sitting behind experienced Alabama defensive linemen and learning from them until it's his turn."

Darren Lake:6-foot-3, 330 pounds.
"Currently Lake is more ready to compete on the college level than Taylor, in my opinion. However, Taylor gets the benefit of reporting to Alabama a full semester before Lake. Lake has great strength and almost always demanded a double team in high school. He was dominant at Alabama's summer camp, where he exploded on the scene to earn an Alabama offer on the spot. Lake most certainly figures heavily into Alabama's plan at nose guard with the capability of being a four-year contributor much like Chapman."

Darius Philon:6-foot-1, 280 pounds.
"Simply put, I love Philon's game. He is a natural leader and his competitive will is second to none. That was evident when despite tearing the meniscus in his right knee in a first-round Class 5A playoff game, he continued to play and helped lead Vigor to the championship game at Bryant-Denny Stadium. He is fast (he played running back in middle school) and strong. He can beat you with a bull rush, spin move or speed rush. He was dominant going against Taylor (who lined up at left tackle) when Vigor met Davidson early in the season. It's all relative, but Philon's game reminds me of Dwight Freeney."

Caleb Gulledge:6-foot-4, 265 pounds.
"Gulledge was recruited by Alabama to play defensive end, but I would be surprised if he didn't end up at offensive guard. He played offensive tackle for the Lions his senior season on his way to a 6A state championship. The thing that sticks out about Gulledge is his build. He has a good frame and is lean for his size. In other words, Gulledge has no sloppy weight. He has good footwork and uses his hands/arm well. I never saw him play defensive end so I cannot judge his get off on the ball or how aggressively he rushes the passer."