• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL How do you fix the Cleveland Browns?

Choose All that Apply

• Draft a good {insert position here}

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Move them to the Big Ten Conference

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • You don't. Fixing the Browns may endanger the spacetime continuum

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Potato Salad

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potato salad.

None of the options will fix the browns. What they're currently doing is the right way though. Draft in bulk and there's a better chance some of the guys end up working out.

RavensNation2158

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather not fix them altogether. I like them right where they are.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is this going to be a serious conversation about the Browns or is this another "you fuckers suck" thread?

You looking for some action or some shit again????

:lol:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be how I would go about it.

1) Maybe most important. I would tell ownership that they need to give the team 4-years to get things on the right track. I actually do think Hue Jackson can be a great HC in this league. Heck he had the Raiders actually looking competent even with terrible ownership. But with the Browns so depleted of talent and fit for his scheme it will take a few down years to actually look good. Have to have patience for him to build his team.

2) After building up all these draft picks especially for next year they better figure out what they want to do at the QB position to get them going. RGIII is definitely not the answer and they didn't really do much to find the answer during the draft. Need that position filled.

3) Spend this first year mostly working to train up the young players. Have this be a teaching season not so much focused on scheme and keep it mostly simple.

4) Next off season invest heavily during FA on the trenches. They have what $40 million left over from this season and another $53 million for next off season. Plenty of money so that is where I would spend it in protecting your young QB and getting after the other team's QB.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pray for a miracle.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns obviously need a QB to help on the field, but they also desperately need some management continuity.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be how I would go about it.

1) Maybe most important. I would tell ownership that they need to give the team 4-years to get things on the right track. I actually do think Hue Jackson can be a great HC in this league. Heck he had the Raiders actually looking competent even with terrible ownership. But with the Browns so depleted of talent and fit for his scheme it will take a few down years to actually look good. Have to have patience for him to build his team.

2) After building up all these draft picks especially for next year they better figure out what they want to do at the QB position to get them going. RGIII is definitely not the answer and they didn't really do much to find the answer during the draft. Need that position filled.

3) Spend this first year mostly working to train up the young players. Have this be a teaching season not so much focused on scheme and keep it mostly simple.

4) Next off season invest heavily during FA on the trenches. They have what $40 million left over from this season and another $53 million for next off season. Plenty of money so that is where I would spend it in protecting your young QB and getting after the other team's QB.

No and no.

I agree, you build up the trenches, but you do it via the draft, not Free Agency. You don't draft a "franchise" QB if you have no one to run, catch, or block for him. They need to build up a good supporting cast before searching for that 1 franchise QB that will "turn things around" for Cleve.

They had maybe the best draft in the league this year and are set up to have an even better draft in the years to come. It's a long-term plan and I like it.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No and no.

I agree, you build up the trenches, but you do it via the draft, not Free Agency. You don't draft a "franchise" QB if you have no one to run, catch, or block for him. They need to build up a good supporting cast before searching for that 1 franchise QB that will "turn things around" for Cleve.

They had maybe the best draft in the league this year and are set up to have an even better draft in the years to come. It's a long-term plan and I like it.

The trenches to me are the most difficult position to draft for beyond QB. An OL built through the draft might take 3-4 years before you even see return on your investment and by that point you are already having to sign them to a 2nd contract. To me especially for the OL you invest through FA more so than the draft. Not saying you don't draft for the position but if there is an OT that can help out then to me you spend a little extra to secure such a player. I don't want a rookie or 2nd year OT protecting the blindside of my franchise QB. Also to me the team just spent big time draft capital getting weapons for a QB. So that part of the equation is done other than maybe finding another RB to help out. So to me on the offensive side of the ball it is the OL (that they just lost 2 key players from) and the QB that are the missing pieces. Throw in the money they have they will have to spend big next year no matter what anyway. They don't have a choice because of the CBA.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally I would not vote for tater salad without the bacon but I'll make an exception in this case. Personally, I don't want them fixed. A Jet fan needs someone to laugh at

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tank and trade down, repeatedly, at the QB spot until you find a QB prospect to my liking. Somehow I don't think ownership would be on board, however...

Maybe they can do something similar to what the Cavs did. Tank for years until you get Lebron. Fuck up building a team around Lebron. Lebron leaves so you tank again until he's a free agent.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trenches to me are the most difficult position to draft for beyond QB. An OL built through the draft might take 3-4 years before you even see return on your investment and by that point you are already having to sign them to a 2nd contract. To me especially for the OL you invest through FA more so than the draft. Not saying you don't draft for the position but if there is an OT that can help out then to me you spend a little extra to secure such a player. I don't want a rookie or 2nd year OT protecting the blindside of my franchise QB. Also to me the team just spent big time draft capital getting weapons for a QB. So that part of the equation is done other than maybe finding another RB to help out. So to me on the offensive side of the ball it is the OL (that they just lost 2 key players from) and the QB that are the missing pieces. Throw in the money they have they will have to spend big next year no matter what anyway. They don't have a choice because of the CBA.

For the browns, FA should strictly be used to fill temporary holes for the upcoming season. They don't need to be investing in expensive free agents whose careers are likely on the downward slide.

The Cowboys drafted O-Line for the last 3-4 years prior to this year and it worked out pretty well for them.

Point is that drafting a QB right now wouldn't help them and in fact might just serve to stunt the QB's growth. Free Agency is an inefficient way to build a team. It's good for spot filling (say they needed 1 dude on the O-Line, then yeah get that one guy for this season in FA) but not good for complete rebuilds, which is where the Brownies are.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the browns, FA should strictly be used to fill temporary holes for the upcoming season. They don't need to be investing in expensive free agents whose careers are likely on the downward slide.

The Cowboys drafted O-Line for the last 3-4 years prior to this year and it worked out pretty well for them.

Point is that drafting a QB right now wouldn't help them and in fact might just serve to stunt the QB's growth. Free Agency is an inefficient way to build a team. It's good for spot filling (say they needed 1 dude on the O-Line, then yeah get that one guy for this season in FA) but not good for complete rebuilds, which is where the Brownies are.

Not every FA is on the downward part of their career. Plenty are actually just entering their prime but priced themselves from the team they were drafted by. Yes the Cowboys have built the OL through the draft but they are one of the fortunate ones to do so. Interior guys are possible to find but actual Franchise LT's are downright very rare like what they got in Smith. Go look since the new CBA was put into effect at how OT's especially have done being drafted. Almost all have been down right busts that were picked early in the draft. They need 3-4 years before they are ready and even then many of them can never fully recover mentally from all that goes wrong. The new CBA ruined OL play. So really either way you are having to pay top dollar for the OL to actually get quality production from the position.

And again the Browns have to spend the money somewhere. You are looking at possibly $90 million in Cap Space for next year. Just looking at the FA list for next year for the Browns I don't see a ton of guys that are a must to re-sign. So that means legally they are required to spend that money somehow so might as well sign some guys to the OL if the quality of player is there. I'm not saying just spend at that position or build the entire OL from just FA but I would think getting 2 high quality players through FA can help out.

Also I do think that whole FA is an inefficient way to build a team is not the way to look at this. What I am talking about is building through many different avenues. The Broncos for example have drafted well but also brought in some key FA's like Manning, Ware, Talib, Ward, Sanders, and some others. All of them have been huge players for us and not just a guy to fill a hole. They have been some of our best leaders on the team while our young guys through the draft were learning the game.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Browns and Eagles both duck this year they have two high picks in 17. That can go a long way in fixing what's broken. What if the gets picks 1 and 2. ONE goes for a QB and TWO gets traded back for picks and a 2018 1st.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not every FA is on the downward part of their career. Plenty are actually just entering their prime but priced themselves from the team they were drafted by. Yes the Cowboys have built the OL through the draft but they are one of the fortunate ones to do so. Interior guys are possible to find but actual Franchise LT's are downright very rare like what they got in Smith. Go look since the new CBA was put into effect at how OT's especially have done being drafted. Almost all have been down right busts that were picked early in the draft. They need 3-4 years before they are ready and even then many of them can never fully recover mentally from all that goes wrong. The new CBA ruined OL play. So really either way you are having to pay top dollar for the OL to actually get quality production from the position.

And again the Browns have to spend the money somewhere. You are looking at possibly $90 million in Cap Space for next year. Just looking at the FA list for next year for the Browns I don't see a ton of guys that are a must to re-sign. So that means legally they are required to spend that money somehow so might as well sign some guys to the OL if the quality of player is there. I'm not saying just spend at that position or build the entire OL from just FA but I would think getting 2 high quality players through FA can help out.

Also I do think that whole FA is an inefficient way to build a team is not the way to look at this. What I am talking about is building through many different avenues. The Broncos for example have drafted well but also brought in some key FA's like Manning, Ware, Talib, Ward, Sanders, and some others. All of them have been huge players for us and not just a guy to fill a hole. They have been some of our best leaders on the team while our young guys through the draft were learning the game.

I agree in principle. Unfortunately, Cleveland is one of those teams that no free agent wants to go to. Until they can build a decent rapport, the only Free Agents they will be able to sign (unless they pay crazy money) are going to be the past-prime guys.

They might be able to shore up some O-Line and D-Line issues though. They just can't spend money like the previous regime did in free agency.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same thing they've needed to do since they came back to the NFL. Get a good QB. That will solve a LOT of their problems.