• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hospital Corp

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would appear that Chip has an affection for injured players inasmuch as just about every player he has acquired is or has been injured above the typical bumps, bruises and muscle ailments. One could make the argument that he feels he is getting better value with an injured player but only if that player can actually play well and suit up every game, could be a BIG if especially with Ryans, Austin, Matthews and Bradford.

I gotta say this is a risky path he is traveling and having so many injured players is starting to worry me. I want to trust in Chip but his methods are so against the grain it is sometimes hard. That said it looks as if Chip is going for the ring....NOW! which is awesome as long as his plan works but potentially disastrous.

Is anyone struggling with this besides me?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a huge gamble. He is basically betting that his sports science will reduce the incidence of injuries among injury-prone players.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a huge gamble. He is basically betting that his sports science will reduce the incidence of injuries among injury-prone players.

Lets examine this "huge gamble"...

QB. He goes two deep with experienced players. If Bradford can't go, he's got the same starter he had for half of last year.
RB. 4 deep in good players. Can withstand probably any two injuries.
WR. Austin is not projected to play much.
LB. He goes 3 deep at ILB. He is good to go without either Alonso or Ryans.
CB. I think the depth chart is going to change alot here during the draft.
OL. Same deal here. Draft help is on the way.

While any one player may be risky, Kelly seems to be mitigating his risk each step of the way.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I heard he has hired Mr. Myagi to work in the training room.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't bother me til August...

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets examine this "huge gamble"...

QB. He goes two deep with experienced players. If Bradford can't go, he's got the same starter he had for half of last year.
RB. 4 deep in good players. Can withstand probably any two injuries.
WR. Austin is not projected to play much.
LB. He goes 3 deep at ILB. He is good to go without either Alonso or Ryans.
CB. I think the depth chart is going to change alot here during the draft.
OL. Same deal here. Draft help is on the way.

While any one player may be risky, Kelly seems to be mitigating his risk each step of the way.

This is true, he is adding depth in places where he has signed injured guys for the most part. But it would be good to have depth without injured guys, no?

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true, he is adding depth in places where he has signed injured guys for the most part. But it would be good to have depth without injured guys, no?

Always better to have more depth and less injuries. As Kelly said though "That's a good question, we don't want to bring in injured players, but I think the players that are available, there has to be a reason. Some guys are available because it's a money reason and you don't have the cap room or you're not willing to go that high for that individual player and some players are available because there was an injury. But as I said, I alluded to earlier, there are not many people in this league, that are not injured at that position and then it's your ability to come back and if you talk about the Saints, I think their revival and what happened down there was their acquisition of [QB] Drew Brees who, like a lot of people, failed in a medical [and] they couldn't go play there. But I think maybe they just didn't do enough due diligence in terms of counting Drew Brees out. Give [Saints head coach] Sean Payton credit and [Saints executive vice president and general manager] Mickey Loomis credit, they didn't count Drew Brees out and look how it paid off for them. That's some of the chances you have to take."

They were able to get DeMarco Murray and Byron Maxwell for money reasons, and the rest of the players they got were largely due to the injury reasons. It is a bit of swing for the fences with these guys. If they are injury free, they could be great, but I do believe that Kelly is mitigating that risk with roster depth.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

one point about that tho... there is still a big difference between a healthy player who has not been previous injured staying healthy on sports science... and a seriously injured player getting over said injury and being able to return to full ability.. and then stay healthy based on the assistance of sports science. many injuries heal, but leave lasting impacts that prohibit your ability to do the same as you once did - especially at such a high level.

I do agree tho, that we have been doing fairly well at depth... other than WR