• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was pleasantly surprised by this one.
Pretty good movie! Have to admit I wasn't expecting much. The part under the house where the kids were playing hide & seek freaked me out lol.

"I'm gonna getcha"... as a freaky blur of old lady hair comes galloping at you... lol

That part caught me off-guard

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Possession of David O'Reilly (2010)

I really liked that this movie didn't follow the same beaten dead horse plot that is most possession type movies. This film tried to use new concepts within the genre by creating a different kind of "possession" and creating a plotline that complemented it. The film's plot is interesting, and the characters delivered strong performances which were far beyond better than in most low budget movies. The creatures were awesome. If you liked the creatures of "Digging Up the Marrow" then you will love these ones as well. The darkness in which they were deployed only added extra scare to the already freaky looks. The plot is a bit indistinct which kind of confuses more than it entertains. It kind of frustrated me towards the end. The potential for a fantastic film was all there but it ultimately fell short by the lack of info and the obscure plot. Nevertheless it was entertaining!

Flawed, but great potential... 6/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Lonely Place to Die (2011)

On Netflix! Another genre confused movie. This is your typical survival thriller which I confused with a horror thriller. Only difference between the 2 genres is the antagonist. In this case, the antagonists are kidnappers. Could be horror still, but the way in which the characters are written it makes all the difference. Reminds me of "Preservation", a movie I reviewed on this thread a while back. This movie delivered great suspense! The plot was interesting but you don't have much time to soak it up because the movie is a tense, fast-paced thrill ride. Aside from some character stupidity, the acting was great! The antagonists were badass and so were the victims. Overall I wished it was horror, so in that sense it failed but I still ended up enjoying this movie! Maybe if the kidnappers were cannibals or mutants it would have delivered the horror I was looking for!

Survival thriller, not horror... 6.5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fragile (2005)

Oldie, but goodie worth reviewing in here. This movie hit the bullseye for me. Old hospitals and abandoned places like these, perfect for the haunting ghost genre, scare the hell out of me so watching this movie the first time was like a bad nightmare come true. Everything in this film is set to get you some creepy vibes. An old children's hospital that is about to be closed, moody score, great set decorations (including props & makeup), and sound effects that make you jump out of your skin. So hats off to the directors, editors, producers & actors. The movie has an amazingly subtle style that builds the suspense perfectly for the first half. Then the second half is nearly all chills and scares. The plot is predictable, until you are greeted with an excellent twist. This movie set the blueprint for many of its successors in this genre. Easily one of the better horror films I have seen.

Solid horror! 8/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shadow (2009)

This one caught me off-guard. There's a lot more going on here than the perceived survivalist makeup. I'll try not to give any spoilers because this movie's twists makes the entire film worthwhile. The film builds up to both twists quite subtly. There are plenty of visual clues and dialogue clues that foreshadow if the viewer is clever enough to catch on. Even the title of the film is a clue as to what this is about. Watch out for a very hilarious addition of a portrait of a well known American, which is yet another clue. I laughed pretty hard at that moment. The first twist alters your antagonist which I thought was a great addition. I think the writer/director struck a perfect balance here. It starts off like "A Lonely Place To Die" but ends up more like "Hostel". The setting and acting were perfect for the film. Suspense is built in multiple different ways at both ends of the plot. Its a great roller coaster of tension. I thought the climax/ending was a bit of a letdown but it didn't ruin the movie. It certainly makes you think about it long after it ends, but ultimately could have been done better.

Clever and creepy! 7/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beneath the Dark (2010)

Another clever movie to add to the horror genre. The movie starts off an absolute cliché. Everything from the strange & creepy characters (hotel desk clerk, waitress, and other random people the couple meet during the night) to the plot development. But this leads the viewer into the wrong direction which turns out to be the beauty of the movie's makeup. Things continuously get stranger and stranger but instead of nonsense gore, suspense builds steadily by clever clues to the reason why these odd occurrences keep happening. But of course there is also a little screaming and blood. The climax delivers a cleverly disguised metaphor which explains everything within the plot. The acting, filming, setting, etc were all great! Expect suspense, but nothing supernatural or fx-driven. The suspense is in the plot itself.

A little bit of a slow burner, but the results are great... 8/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Green Inferno (2015)

Finally it has arrived! Got to see this in theaters yesterday. Been waiting over 2 years since first hearing about this movie. It started filming back in 2012 for cryin out loud! Apparently the producers felt this movie wasn't worth hitting the big screen, but Eli finally pushed it through. I've been a Eli Roth fan ever since Cabin Fever. If you're not a fan of his films already, this film won't win you over, but if you love his brutal, tongue-in-cheek horror, this movie is a perfectly serviceable horror film. As you can deduce, I don't think this was his best work. But I was far from disappointed! This movie is definitely not for the weak-stomached. There is some cringe worthy gore about 35-40mins in and it shakes you up pretty fiercely. But the beauty of that shake-up is that it sets the tone/mood for the rest of the movie and heightens the experience. You won't see anything nearly as profane or deliberately nauseating as that scene, but you will cringe in anticipation during every proceeding scene. That is sort of a hallmark of Eli Roth's work. He likes to scare the living shit out of you once, and then let that set the bar for everything that you anticipate. That effectively heightens all of your senses and puts you on the edge of your seat throughout the remainder of the movie. The plot in itself is VERY predictable, but the progression is very fast paced once they get to the jungle. Eli includes a few twists to curb your predictability, and also to give you relief from the gruesome nature of the film. Some of the actors were very strange to me, almost misplaced. I think the casting could have been done better. But all things considered they didn't ruin the movie. The state of gore-induced fear covered up any acting shortcomings lol. There were 2-3 scenes in the movie that I thought were completely unnecessary, but oh well. Eli likes to have some fun with his movies, so I can see why he included them. I'm not sure who added a quick foreshadowing scene about 1 minute into the credits, but I thought it was really stupid. They eluded to a possible sequel, and there's not a chance in hell that this movie gets the budgeting to produce a sequel.

Cannibals & tree-hugging hippies... What could go wrong? 7/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hoarder (2015)

This movie seemed like it had some good potential, but the directing & editing left some gaping plot holes and flaws. Almost seems like the director didn't know quite how to pull of his twist and tie it all together so the end product came off as a rushed film with obvious errors. Kind of a shame because it had a great start. The character development was somewhat unnecessary, because 2 or 3 characters should have been flushed all-together. There is loads of character stupidity, so be ready for that if you choose to take this one on. I found myself glad at the outcome because of the main character's stupidity. I even yelled "F'n moron" at the tv a few times. If the writers put a little more thought into the plot twists this could have added up to a much better climax, and thus a better film. Filming & fx were good. Setting was small and claustrophobic, but I think it worked well. Obviously could have been better!

Needs better direction... 6/10

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knock Knock

What a piece off shit. Was excited to see a new Eli Roth flick but this one was just awful. The concept is decent, guy is home alone, two hot chicks show up at his door soaking wet and cold from a storm, seduce him, then madness ensues when they wear out their welcome. Much like Roths Hostel, it explores the idea of how vulnerable will make himself for some pussy, even if he wants to be a good guy. But unlike Hostel, nobody cares about the characters, the writing is boring and predictable and the ending is laughable.

If there is a saving grace, it's that the girl who plays Bel is absolutely stunning. But it's not nearly enough to save the shit show that is Knock Knock.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knock Knock

What a piece off shit. Was excited to see a new Eli Roth flick but this one was just awful. The concept is decent, guy is home alone, two hot chicks show up at his door soaking wet and cold from a storm, seduce him, then madness ensues when they wear out their welcome. Much like Roths Hostel, it explores the idea of how vulnerable will make himself for some pussy, even if he wants to be a good guy. But unlike Hostel, nobody cares about the characters, the writing is boring and predictable and the ending is laughable.

If there is a saving grace, it's that the girl who plays Bel is absolutely stunning. But it's not nearly enough to save the shit show that is Knock Knock.
I had this one on my lineup for this weekend... Looks like I should save it for the end of the night after the alcohol has set in lol. I'll let you know what I think after I watch it.

Looks like Lorenza Izzo was in this too. She was in Green Inferno, Stranger, & Aftershock... All works that Eli either wrote or directed.

Thanks for sharing! :suds:

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had this one on my lineup for this weekend... Looks like I should save it for the end of the night after the alcohol has set in lol. I'll let you know what I think after I watch it.

Looks like Lorenza Izzo was in this too. She was in Green Inferno, Stranger, & Aftershock... All works that Eli either wrote or directed.

Thanks for sharing! :suds:

Izzo was one of the primary issues with the movie. I haven't seen her in anything else, was she a sympathetic character in those, the heroine, or was she a villain? In Knock Knock she was a villain, but not an effective one at all.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Izzo was one of the primary issues with the movie. I haven't seen her in anything else, was she a sympathetic character in those, the heroine, or was she a villain? In Knock Knock she was a villain, but not an effective one at all.
She played the main sympathetic victim in Green Inferno. In Stranger she was a supporting role which was neither. She played a smaller role in Aftershock.

She did a decent job of being the victim in GI. I at least wanted her to survive, so she was effective. But to be honest I don't think she was anything spectacular. All she had to do was cry convincingly throughout half of the movie.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on your definition of horror, every time I watch a Nicholas Cage movie it leaves me shaken for days.

Otherwise Halloween is the GOAT.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on your definition of horror, every time I watch a Nicholas Cage movie it leaves me shaken for days.

Otherwise Halloween is the GOAT.
One of my all time favorites. It's a tradition of mine to watch it every year on Halloween. I also change my cell ring tone to the intro score! lolz

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started Trick r Treat last night. Fun, sick, over the top but not overly gory. If I was 14 it would be a favorite of mine. Gonna finish it tonight.

Also, it's not a horror movie, but I watched a flick over the weekend called Better Luck Tomorrow. And it had one of the most disturbing kill scenes that I've ever seen. It had someone apprehensive to the idea of killing someone being forced to do it, and the fear and physiological toll that can have on that person. Good movie, well written, bright...

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone got any good horror lineups for this weekend or any weekend in October?
@Psych-Ward ? @jakedog56 ? @Chef99 ? @SonnyCID ? @DoobeeDoobeeDoo ?

I'm thinkin about giving the All Hallow's Eve movies a try on Halloween (1 & 2). :noidea:

I think I am going to kick back this weekend with a little 'shine', a little hottie, and watch the Insidious Trilogy.
I've seen one and two and enjoyed them, have not seen the third and hope it doesn't disappoint!!!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started Trick r Treat last night. Fun, sick, over the top but not overly gory. If I was 14 it would be a favorite of mine. Gonna finish it tonight.

Also, it's not a horror movie, but I watched a flick over the weekend called Better Luck Tomorrow. And it had one of the most disturbing kill scenes that I've ever seen. It had someone apprehensive to the idea of killing someone being forced to do it, and the fear and physiological toll that can have on that person. Good movie, well written, bright...
Trick r Treat is a great movie. Its kind of like the V/H/S movies but for Halloween stories. The little pumpkin dude is badass.

200.gif

Never heard of Better Luck Tomorrow! But I'll be sure to check it out at some point! Thanks for the rec! :suds: