• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, finally watched

PHcGRlsAsYV2gf_1_m.jpg

I think that a good send-up of Zombie movies is just what this world needs. Sadly, this isn't it. This movie tries very hard to touch all the bases, parodying The Walking Dead, Zombieland, Warm Bodies and even the classic Zombie Strippers.

Here's the problem: it doesn't work. The basic plot entails the joining forces of a sheriff just coming out of a coma, two goofball mavericks bopping around killing zombies and a zombie who is still part human. At one point they go to a stripper bar. Catch the drift?

What makes this movie a failure is pretty simple; Zombieland and Warm Bodies are already parodies (at least partially) in their own right. How do you parody a parody? Very disappointing.

My Rating: Zero Gravestones

Next up (maybe today) All Cheerleaders Die - At least I know it'll have Boobies. ;)

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is one thing @beardown07 would like very much about The Walking Deceased.

In the beginning of the movie, the guy who plays the Rick Grimes part screams "Corrral! Corrrrrrraalll!"

Haha, I shit you not. :pound::pound::pound:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, finally watched

PHcGRlsAsYV2gf_1_m.jpg

I think that a good send-up of Zombie movies is just what this world needs. Sadly, this isn't it. This movie tries very hard to touch all the bases, parodying The Walking Dead, Zombieland, Warm Bodies and even the classic Zombie Strippers.

Here's the problem: it doesn't work. The basic plot entails the joining forces of a sheriff just coming out of a coma, two goofball mavericks bopping around killing zombies and a zombie who is still part human. At one point they go to a stripper bar. Catch the drift?

What makes this movie a failure is pretty simple; Zombieland and Warm Bodies are already parodies (at least partially) in their own right. How do you parody a parody? Very disappointing.

Next up (maybe today) All Cheerleaders Die - At least I know it'll have Boobies. ;)
Good review @Chef99 ! :suds:

Love the part "how do you parody a parody?"... lol But this is pretty much what I expected! Parody movies don't really seem to try to be funny anymore... They come off as flat out stupid almost every time. I avoid them like the plague now.

Lookin forward to the "All Cheerleaders Die" review! Hopefully I don't have to wait another week for it... :heh:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11-11-11 (2011)

This movie was a big disappointment to me. It had a lot of potential, but the director ruined it. The progression is pretty fast, and it offers only little tidbits of explanation along the way (not really much at all) and then slaps you across the face with a really farfetched, almost retarded, climax. Which was a shame! The acting, filming, and setting were all very good. It even provided some decent suspense with a few scares. The director or producers really ruined this one. They must have really went to town on chopping this bad boy down before its final release because most of the scenes were so rushed that it left you wondering what the fuck is going on every 5 minutes. The cut scenes (w/ the dates) were stupid. I think they intended them to build suspense but they came across like Law & Order scene breaks lol. Awful. There's a scene where his brother fell out of his wheelchair choking like he was being possessed, but the brother picks him up and sets him back in his chair and they continue on like nothing happened? Wtf??? The movie was a very interesting concept, but it could have been done A LOT better than this.

Close to calling it garbage... 4/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mother's Day (2011)

I'll start off by sayin this one isn't scary or horror by any means, but more of a psychological thriller. Its one of those "people caught in a shitty situation" types. Pretty good movie though if you're into that kind of thing. The acting was good (a few dumb broads), and the plot is great. Its pretty interesting seeing how all of these "bad guys" were mind-fucked into becoming murderers/terrorists. It always interests me when movies like this dive into the mental psyche of the villain. Very psychological which is not everyone's bag, but hopefully you catch my gist. Pretty disturbing family! This is also one of those "what would you do" sort of movies and I know a few of the hooplans that frequent this thread are into that sort of thing, so that's why I put this in here. Like I said, not scary or horror.

Pretty good! 7/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also watched Maggie with Arnold Schwarzenegger recently. But about a quarter of the way into it I decided that it wasn't the horror movie I was expecting. Come to think of it, not even horror at all. More of a drama set in a zombie-like futuristic wasteland. It was about a daughter that contracts the virus they call "the turn" which slowly deteriorates your body until you turn into a mindless zombie. Which apparently takes 2-3 weeks. But the living humans have good control over everything so its not like the usual zombie movie chaos. Society is all living normally in their homes, but still leery of the outside world. Back to the plot... The daughter is diagnosed, and then allowed to live out the rest of her life with her father (arnold). He is given precautions and is ordered to "quarantine" her when she starts to turn. I stopped watching this movie because I was in the mood for horror, not drama. Maybe it gets better towards the middle & climax, but I wasn't willing to wait lol. It was a depressing drama for the most part.

Anyone else that has seen this movie have any input? Is it worth finishing?

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched The Lazerus Effect as per the recommendation here. I thought that it was better than expected. Going in I thought it was a zombie flick but it was more of a psychological evolution horror (a subgenre with the likes of Altered States in it).

A part 2 could be interesting as it could move into wholesale slaughter territory but this one moved slow before picking it up at the end.

I thought it was worth a watch. Certainly better than some out there.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At Game Stop with my 16yo. We're watching The Gallows as soon as he's done here. Looking forward to it.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, finally watched

PHcGRlsAsYV2gf_1_m.jpg

Boobies make me smile. Hoping there are some in The Gallows....

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bummer, but besides that how was it?

It was pretty good.

Funny story: Austin was googling it when we were deciding what to watch and said the critics say it sucked badly. We decided to see it anyway and we both jumped in our seats (and my shock threshold is pretty high, it takes a lot for me to jump) during the movie.

Rather than recap it, I'll just post this:

The Gallows (2015) - IMDb

I give it a 6 or 6.5/10 on tHoop horror rating system.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still haven't seen the zombie beaver movie.

:pound:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched The Lazerus Effect as per the recommendation here. I thought that it was better than expected. Going in I thought it was a zombie flick but it was more of a psychological evolution horror (a subgenre with the likes of Altered States in it).

A part 2 could be interesting as it could move into wholesale slaughter territory but this one moved slow before picking it up at the end.

I thought it was worth a watch. Certainly better than some out there.
I was somewhat disappointed in the Lazerus Effect. Can't remember my exact words when I reviewed it but I thought it could have been done better. It was a very interesting concept but the progression just didn't fit the plot for me. Could have used more additives to increase the suspense. But it was pretty good.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was pretty good.

Funny story: Austin was googling it when we were deciding what to watch and said the critics say it sucked badly. We decided to see it anyway and we both jumped in our seats (and my shock threshold is pretty high, it takes a lot for me to jump) during the movie.

Rather than recap it, I'll just post this:

The Gallows (2015) - IMDb

I give it a 6 or 6.5/10 on tHoop horror rating system.
Like I said from my preview... Most movies that show quotes in their trailers that say things like "best horror movie" are ultimately going to disappoint. AKA all aboard the hype train! Looks like a typical jump scare movie.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said from my preview... Most movies that show quotes in their trailers that say things like "best horror movie" are ultimately going to disappoint. AKA all aboard the hype train! Looks like a typical jump scare movie.

I don't think there was much in the way of blood, it was all quick scares and jumps.

I liked the dark ending.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

pretty much

paranormal activity with a slasher type villain. would have been better if it wasn't first person

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sharktopus vs Whalewolf on now.

I'll catch it another time.

Last edited: