• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This scene right here was pure genius .... to have that setting sun behind him was brilliant.

kong-skull-island-brie-larson-tom-hiddleston-warner-bros.jpg

It may be a "formula" movie, but it was well written and beautifully photographed. The scene that followed this was also great, imo.

Poor Godzilla. In the race for All-Time Greatest Monsters, he comes up short compared to his greatest 'adversary'.

Hmm...All-Time Greatest Monsters, you say?

@FaCe-LeE-uS , this is your gig. Think it's an interesting topic?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may be a "formula" movie, but it was well written and beautifully photographed. The scene that followed this was also great, imo.

Poor Godzilla. In the race for All-Time Greatest Monsters, he comes up short compared to his greatest 'adversary'.

That's got the making of an interesting thread all on its own! You should go post one! But I'mma start spitballin' in here to prepare my list... Better grab a seat, this one could take a while! lol

Top Flight:
Godzilla
King Kong
Xenomorph
Predator
Frankenstein

Knocking On the Door:
Dracula
Gremlins
Graboids (Tremors)
Pumpkinhead

Horror Villains (monsters only):
Pennywise
The Creeper (Jeepers Creepers)
Freddy Krueger
Jason Vorhees (not really human, right? Zombie humanoid?)

Why Not?:
Stay Puft Marshmallow Man (fuck yea)
Hellboy
Jabba the Hutt
Balrog (wish he had a bigger part in the LOTR movie like in the books)
Basilisk
Cloverfield monster
Rancor (Star Wars RotJ)
Crawlers (Decent)
Pale Man (Pan's Labyrinth)

GUARANTEE I'VE FORGOTTEN MANY!!!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's got the making of an interesting thread all on its own! You should go post one! But I'mma start spitballin' in here to prepare my list... Better grab a seat, this one could take a while! lol

Top Flight:
Godzilla
King Kong
Xenomorph
Predator
Frankenstein

Knocking On the Door:
Dracula
Gremlins
Graboids (Tremors)
Pumpkinhead

Horror Villains (monsters only):
Pennywise
The Creeper (Jeepers Creepers)
Freddy Krueger
Jason Vorhees (not really human, right? Zombie humanoid?)

Why Not?:
Stay Puft Marshmallow Man (fuck yea)
Hellboy
Jabba the Hutt
Balrog (wish he had a bigger part in the LOTR movie like in the books)
Basilisk
Cloverfield monster
Rancor (Star Wars RotJ)
Crawlers (Decent)
Pale Man (Pan's Labyrinth)

GUARANTEE I'VE FORGOTTEN MANY!!!
Couple of others...

Kraken
Medusa
Dementors
Angel of Death (Hellboy)

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was always a huge Godzilla fan growing up and it just killed me that there always seem to be a real investment
in making a King Kong movie but the Godzilla movies seem like the studios was rushing it out the door.

There is no better example that the 2005 King Kong with Naomi Watts. Not only was it just a great movie but I have no doubt that they spared no expense on King Kong's CGI.

That was 2005 and I can't think of any movie since that had CGI that was that life like.

I would die to see Godzilla get that kind of love but I always feel there is this old school USA bias that
King Kong is our guy and Godzilla is a Japanese import.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was always a huge Godzilla fan growing up and it just killed me that there always seem to be a real investment
in making a King Kong movie but the Godzilla movies seem like the studios was rushing it out the door.

There is no better example that the 2005 King Kong with Naomi Watts. Not only was it just a great movie but I have no doubt that they spared no expense on King Kong's CGI.

That was 2005 and I can't think of any movie since that had CGI that was that life like.

I would die to see Godzilla get that kind of love but I always feel there is this old school USA bias that
King Kong is our guy and Godzilla is a Japanese import.

I get ya, but here's the thing: Matthew Broderick, the guys who made Independence Day, and the Baby Godzillas killed that dream.

latest

Ironic, they look pretty cool in this pic, but they should not have been in any part of a Godzilla movie. :nono::nono::nono:

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get ya, but here's the thing: Matthew Broderick, the guys who made Independence Day, and the Baby Godzillas killed that dream.

latest

Ironic, they look pretty cool in this pic, but they should not have been in any part of a Godzilla movie. :nono::nono::nono:

Bryan Cranston I thought got at least an ounce of integrity back.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Godzilla (1998) - Loved it when I was a kid. Matthew Broderick was hot garbage, and the cgi was a little subpar, but I don't think any of that ruined the movie. The baby Godzillas was a strange idea, but unique. I loved the hide & seek game they played for most of the movie with Godzilla. Yea it was very flawed, but still cool. Still wish they would have played harder off the lore surrounding the monster.

Godzilla (2014) - This was a pretty cool movie but definitely a more "formulated" copy of the original films. Much more of a 'remake' than the '98 version was. I am a huge Cranston fan so I was disappointed that he only lasted maybe a half hour or less. The monster fights were pretty epic, even if a tad short.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Descent & Descent 2 for the umpteenth time... Those movies are awesome

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Descent & Descent 2 for the umpteenth time... Those movies are awesome

Loved the first one, haven't seen the second; gonna have to check it out.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved the first one, haven't seen the second; gonna have to check it out.
Not as good as the 1st, but still very worthwhile. It doesn't have the dramatic touch that the 1st one had, sports a pretty weak cast, and it relies a tad more on the jump scares... But it ties up the storyline perfectly, and rather beautifully I might add.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lavender (2016)

On Netflix! Pretty decent ghost story drama. The mood, the camera work, the acting, and the score were all well done. I didn't care much for the lead actress as she came off a little unenthusiastic and apathetic, but she performed well enough not to be a hindrance. Some of the writing was a little odd and could have used some better sequencing. It also felt like they tried a little too hard to interweave the supernatural elements, which wasn't necessary. I wouldn't call it much of a thriller, but rather a slow-burning ghost drama. It even sports some psychological elements which adds some mystery to the plot. The story is definitely the highlight of the film as it was intriguing from start to finish. The climax made sense and was fairly unpredictable. Could have used a better horror touch to really amplify this movie to the next level, but for what it is its a decent enough movie.

Slow-burning ghost drama... 6/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Thinning (2016)

This was an enthralling movie. We've seen this plot in some form or another many times before, but the way it infused the elements into the story created a tense pacing to the film. There were plenty of flaws that I believe were a direct result of the pacing. Seemed like they had to cut corners to produce the thrill ride they wanted to achieve. Not to mention the writing made things far too easy on the protagonists when it should have been much more difficult. The cast was surprisingly good though. I didn't know much about any of the young actors so I wasn't expecting much but they were all good. The ending of this film might not sit well with some viewers. It tried to implement a realistic outcome, which pulled a decent amount of emotion, however it fell sorta flat IMO. It generally lacked the punch (or punches) it needed to produce the shock value for the moral challenges it presents us with. Overall it was a decent movie with an intriguing story, albeit weak from a writing standpoint. I think it was worth the watch, however I wouldn't plan on watching it ever again.

Decent thriller full of intrigue, but lacks in some areas... 6.5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Havenhurst (2017)

This movie had a cool premise and a powerful intro, but it ultimately falls flat afterwards due to poor writing & acting. The haunted house style setting wasn't very unique either. Aside from a couple trap doors & ominous hidden rooms, there's not much flavor to it. It had the creepy factor but it could have been so much better. There is some decent gore fx but it is very limited in its utilization. The story didn't provide us with much background or character building so it was rather difficult to connect & immerse myself into the story to anything more than face value. Wasn't a fan of the ending either. None of the characters were even vaguely believable which really deteriorated the entire experience. And a combination of bad acting & a terrible script really plunged this movie into the depths of ineptitude. Julie Benz did ok, and Danielle Harris made a 1-2min cameo and then was never seen again which was disappointing. It had decent cinematography & score but I struggle to find anything else that was positive. Overall this was nothing more than a formulated horror film loaded with bad writing, predictability & unrealized potential. Would not recommend this.

Disappointing... 4/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redwood (2017)

I'll start off by saying that this movie was very irritating. The amount of character stupidity in this movie was absurd. Most times I can get over it, but this movie presented lots of scenarios where the choices made were blatant disregard to basic survival instincts. Like how the characters hide in a small 2 person tent and use that like its a fortress made of concrete, or how they never armed themselves, or how the male uses the only flair like he's Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park (hucks it instead of using it against them), or how the male (when finally armed with a gun) conveniently allows one of the creatures to growl & leap at him before getting a single shot off. You immediately get the sense that all the stupidity is meant to steer the characters towards the plot points. And that my friends is what I call bad writing. The movie does have some good sprinkled throughout the bad. The plot itself had some original concepts which were interesting. It also had a decent amount of suspense. Both the creature concept & how they were presented was comparable to the original Descent. The cinematography was pretty cool. Some of the overhead shots really emphasized a feeling of seclusion, which adds a little to the suspense. Overall, all I will remember about it is that it was a mildly entertaining survival movie chalked full of character stupidity.

Badly written survival thriller... 4/10

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never even caught the second one. Didn't think Election Year was that bad, the fact one of the beefs was over not getting free candy made me laugh.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how horror it is but I love the Purge concept, the movies are entertaining enough, so long as you're not paying for them.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how horror it is but I love the Purge concept, the movies are entertaining enough, so long as you're not paying for them.
on that topic, anyone here do movie pass? thinking about getting it