• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad we all agree on that.
I am still a bit upset at so many horrible user reviews on IMDB for this movie. If AvP didn't ruin the series then I don't know why people would consider this one, which is far superior, a show stopper. It seems like it became an internet target even before it's release. Kind like what happened to the admitably rather dull Ghostbusters reboot on a lesser scale.

What some people don't seem to relate to is that, at least for me, this series is not about the characters. It even isn't about Ripley. It is an interconnected mythos about the Xenomorphs and in the recent two a tie in to the history of man. Using that perspective this movie certainly delivers.
Gotta be careful with reviews for the blockbuster type films. They seem to attract more of the asshat-contrarians. Something I've never really understood is how so many assholes crawl out of the woodwork just to put a movie down in reviews, like anyone really gives a shit.

FWIW, I read quite a few reviews on Covenant that people admitted that they never saw the original films, rather just the AvP ones. Makes me sad... But hey, thanks for that 2-3 star review just because you don't understand!

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason the shadow puppet consume always creeps me out. Like WTF happened to those people!?

Lol, I agree...some people have a thing about clowns, but shit like this always kinda freaked me out.

As to shadow puppets? Yikes.

giphy.gif

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Life (2017)

I know this kind of movie plot has been done many times before, but to my recollection it has been a little while. Nevertheless, if you are looking for an entertaining popcorn flick, this movie is a worthwhile watch. But you have to ignore the absurdities with the science behind most of the flick as it is borderline laughable. Which can be difficult to manage as this movie is Science Fiction, first & foremost. The "horror" (thriller) side of the movie is mainly a by-product & only used in situations as necessary for the survival plot. There is nothing outrageously unpredictable in the plot progression. As I said before, we've seen this song & dance many times over. So it doesn't take much to see what is coming, the final choice between self-sacrifice and running the risk of exposing the antagonist to Earth. However it is nowhere near being a paint-by-number piece, especially in the simple things like the order of dying. That caught me by surprise. The cinematography, production values, acting & cgi/fx were all top notch. I particularly liked the appearance of the antagonist as it developed. Each new appearance more menacing than the previous. I did have some issues with the plot though. During the climax they tried to pull emotion from the audience and it didn't really materialize due to inadequacies with character building & background. You only get a brief 1-2min depth builder for each character, so you don't really connect with anyone. But what works well for this movie, as it does for all space thrillers, is the secluded setting and the feeling of complete isolation which makes a survival thriller all the more frightening. Even with the real-world uncertainty of extraterrestrial life, this movie never really felt out of touch with reality. It felt very real & believable to me, aside from the twist at the end which I thought wasn't necessary. All in all this movie is not as easy entertainment as it should be given the lack of depth & plot flaws. But for the appreciative audience, however, it is well worth seeing.

Straight-forward sci-fi thriller... 6.5/10

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Life (2017)

I know this kind of movie plot has been done many times before, but to my recollection it has been a little while. Nevertheless, if you are looking for an entertaining popcorn flick, this movie is a worthwhile watch. But you have to ignore the absurdities with the science behind most of the flick as it is borderline laughable. Which can be difficult to manage as this movie is Science Fiction, first & foremost. The "horror" (thriller) side of the movie is mainly a by-product & only used in situations as necessary for the survival plot. There is nothing outrageously unpredictable in the plot progression. As I said before, we've seen this song & dance many times over. So it doesn't take much to see what is coming, the final choice between self-sacrifice and running the risk of exposing the antagonist to Earth. However it is nowhere near being a paint-by-number piece, especially in the simple things like the order of dying. That caught me by surprise. The cinematography, production values, acting & cgi/fx were all top notch. I particularly liked the appearance of the antagonist as it developed. Each new appearance more menacing than the previous. I did have some issues with the plot though. During the climax they tried to pull emotion from the audience and it didn't really materialize due to inadequacies with character building & background. You only get a brief 1-2min depth builder for each character, so you don't really connect with anyone. But what works well for this movie, as it does for all space thrillers, is the secluded setting and the feeling of complete isolation which makes a survival thriller all the more frightening. Even with the real-world uncertainty of extraterrestrial life, this movie never really felt out of touch with reality. It felt very real & believable to me, aside from the twist at the end which I thought wasn't necessary. All in all this movie is not as easy entertainment as it should be given the lack of depth & plot flaws. But for the appreciative audience, however, it is well worth seeing.

Straight-forward sci-fi thriller... 6.5/10

Just saw this the other night. Pretty spot on review.

This had the reverse of what I usually see, the actors make the movie but the monster was a let down.
This movie flipped that. Your right, i never connected with any actor and it was the monster who had the best performance.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Cure For Wellness (2017)

This film is very beautiful, moody and it has a good pace. Gore Verbinski (director) has always had a great eye for detail, almost del Toro-esque. So you can expect a visually stunning piece, everything from the setting to the lighting & cgi. However, don't expect many clever surprises or intelligent writing. It's a throwback to the horror films of the 60's & 70's. Full of gothic flair, but low on anything resembling modern storytelling. In retrospect the pace felt good, but the overall lack of storytelling made the movie feel woefully lengthy at times. 2.5 hours or so is quite the meaty story. I think it could have benefited from a trimmed down version, because by the end of the movie you are still left with more questions than answers. And this wasn't the type of movie that wanted to leave said plot holes as it clearly tried to be an open & shut case by the end of the climax. The progression spoon feeds you minute details in the form of clues which slowly build this mystery thriller into a fairly well though-out climactic ending. Very reminiscent of Shutter Island, both in its face-values & storytelling. However this film felt like it buried itself in clichés and references to better films during most of the pivotal scenes, even felt convoluted at times. But I think it was unavoidable given the throwback styling. If you've seen lots of gothic horror from back in the 60's-70's then it will give you the same sentiment, but if you're a younger audience then you'll be experiencing a lot of it for the first time which I think was one of the director's main goals with this piece. The acting was superb. Great cast from top to bottom. DeHaan & Isaacs were perfect fits. Overall this was a pretty good film, but be prepared to drink it all in for the full 2.5 hours because you won't get many answers until the final 10 minutes. Like I said, I think it would have been a much better movie if they cut it down. It requires a lot of patience, but I think you'll be glad you waited so give it a chance.

Gothic throwback mixed with a slow-building mystery thriller... 7.5/10

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Cure For Wellness (2017)

This film is very beautiful, moody and it has a good pace. Gore Verbinski (director) has always had a great eye for detail, almost del Toro-esque. So you can expect a visually stunning piece, everything from the setting to the lighting & cgi. However, don't expect many clever surprises or intelligent writing. It's a throwback to the horror films of the 60's & 70's. Full of gothic flair, but low on anything resembling modern storytelling. In retrospect the pace felt good, but the overall lack of storytelling made the movie feel woefully lengthy at times. 2.5 hours or so is quite the meaty story. I think it could have benefited from a trimmed down version, because by the end of the movie you are still left with more questions than answers. And this wasn't the type of movie that wanted to leave said plot holes as it clearly tried to be an open & shut case by the end of the climax. The progression spoon feeds you minute details in the form of clues which slowly build this mystery thriller into a fairly well though-out climactic ending. Very reminiscent of Shutter Island, both in its face-values & storytelling. However this film felt like it buried itself in clichés and references to better films during most of the pivotal scenes, even felt convoluted at times. But I think it was unavoidable given the throwback styling. If you've seen lots of gothic horror from back in the 60's-70's then it will give you the same sentiment, but if you're a younger audience then you'll be experiencing a lot of it for the first time which I think was one of the director's main goals with this piece. The acting was superb. Great cast from top to bottom. DeHaan & Isaacs were perfect fits. Overall this was a pretty good film, but be prepared to drink it all in for the full 2.5 hours because you won't get many answers until the final 10 minutes. Like I said, I think it would have been a much better movie if they cut it down. It requires a lot of patience, but I think you'll be glad you waited so give it a chance.

Gothic throwback mixed with a slow-building mystery thriller... 7.5/10

Taking a 10 hour flight on Saturday and this movie is listed on-board. Will have to check it out then!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking a 10 hour flight on Saturday and this movie is listed on-board. Will have to check it out then!
That'll be a good way to spend 1/4 of your flight... 10 hours sounds brutal!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wishing a Happy 4th to all you horror nuts in here!

tenor.gif

Reactions: DJ

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched the original Godzilla (Gojira) yesterday. Don't think I ever saw it before, so much different than the camp I associate with it and the current trend of trying to make it a summer blockbuster now. I could only imagine how awesome it would have been to be in a theater for the first 2:10 of the movie with just the title playing with the score. I couldn't find a good copy on youtube to illustrate what I mean, but this is the cleanest I could find and what I watched yesterday.

Gojira 1954 hc eng subs.mp4 | openload

Really drew me into it with that opening.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,796.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing new to report....haven't seen any Horror in the DJ household over here in a while....

#Notwinning

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched the original Godzilla (Gojira) yesterday. Don't think I ever saw it before, so much different than the camp I associate with it and the current trend of trying to make it a summer blockbuster now. I could only imagine how awesome it would have been to be in a theater for the first 2:10 of the movie with just the title playing with the score. I couldn't find a good copy on youtube to illustrate what I mean, but this is the cleanest I could find and what I watched yesterday.

Gojira 1954 hc eng subs.mp4 | openload

Really drew me into it with that opening.

This is the one without Raymond Burr, right? Very cool, thanks for the link. Got this fairly obscure (to me, anyway) cable channel called Elrey. It features marathons of cult genres, and sometimes runs a Godzilla fest. I DVR'd Godzilla Raids Again, the seldom seen sequel to the original. Haven't watched it yet, but it's nice to know there is still interest in these gems.

1377072294438.jpg

This is 1955; released in the U.S. in 1959 as:

godzilla-raids-again-movie-poster-1955-1020556847.jpg

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, I agree...some people have a thing about clowns, but shit like this always kinda freaked me out.

As to shadow puppets? Yikes.

giphy.gif

The best doll movie was the final story in Trilogy Of Terror, both 1 and 2.