• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Homestand w/ Nationals & Rays

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that, but only to a point. Yes he has a spending like most other teams, but his is still more than half the teams and those lower half are still better than us. He is also responsible for the crap that comes on the team. If you only have $6M on a player, nobody forced him to give it to Pollock. He could have given it to Santana for example who is outplaying Pollard by miles. He could have dealt Flexen in the offseason when he still had some value but didn't and now released him for nothing. He targeted Wong. I could go on. So yes you are right he has limits in spending, but all final player decisions are his and he just isn't very good at it. I will repeat what I said earlier, he had freaking Trout and couldn't win. The guy just isn't any good. He is mid management and is over his head here.
I agree with all of that and why I said that they’re plenty of blame directed at JeDi and Scott, but also the final direction IMO comes down to the dork above all. Stanton will be the one to handcuff JeDi at the deadline but also keep him here beyond this year. So if you (Stanton) feel (JeDi) he is the one to get us to the next level then don’t limit him in doing his job this year and beyond. You can’t throttle these guys from doing their job, either give them full capacity to fulfill their vision or get rid of them which neither will likely happen and this will be our reality moving forward.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember me making the statement about a week ago on this board that Castillo has the worst slider on our entire pitching staff ?

I rest my case

[IMG alt="MarinersBestFan"]https://sportshoop.la/data/avatars/s/12/12703.jpg?1521907338[/IMG]

Series Thread: Homestand w/ Nationals & Rays

Castillo has a pretty nice running fastball ... but his hittable pitch is the slider. it is not a big breaker or a real sharp breaker. Very often it just floats / hangs in the zone spinning and not much movement. he has the worst breaking ball of any pitcher on the 25 man roster for the Mariners

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About what we expected. 1-2 against the Rays.

These errors and sloppy play are just killing the entertainment value for me. Worst defense I've seen in years.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with all of that and why I said that they’re plenty of blame directed at JeDi and Scott, but also the final direction IMO comes down to the dork above all. Stanton will be the one to handcuff JeDi at the deadline but also keep him here beyond this year. So if you (Stanton) feel (JeDi) he is the one to get us to the next level then don’t limit him in doing his job this year and beyond. You can’t throttle these guys from doing their job, either give them full capacity to fulfill their vision or get rid of them which neither will likely happen and this will be our reality moving forward.
I get that and I do see your point, but I don't think Stanton is limiting Dipoto to the point where Dipoto still can't do his job. Yes we are 18th in payroll and I myself would love to be in Top 10, but could Dipoto sign the right guys even if given that money? That is my issue. There is spending and then there is reckless spending. I am not sure if Dipoto could spend the right way. He had chances in the past to spend and what bat has he signed? Of all the pitchers he signed, he signed a 30+ year old coming off his best year. Ray is a two pitch pitcher that he gave over a $100M to. I think the Mets showed you just can't spend to win. You need a guy in charge that knows the game and I don't think that is Dipoto.

Believe me I am no Stanton fan. He is old school ownership and is using their blueprint.

We are 18th in payroll. There are 12 teams below us. Of those 12, 7 have a better winning percentage. That is my point hat even if given the money, can he do anything with it?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to assume that Dipoto and Hollander have been begging (in a professional way, of course) for owners to open the coffers.

Yes, I wish we could follow the model of KC and HOU, but Jerry isn't capable of it. He did his best. And we've got a pretty awesome draft set up coming up and I think i'm justifiably worried about the choices hel'll make.

I say give him a year with a bigger payroll. If that doesn't yield anything, THEN move onto a new GM and another full rebuild. The only other option is more of the same.

I just want a good team again one more time. Great as the Raleight moment was, I feel equally like that about stuff from the mid 90s especially when I was in the seats at least once a week driving from Port Angeles, parking and then walking onto the Bainbridge Island Ferry, and walking to the park straight off of it. Between those years and 01, so many incredible moments. I want more than 1 every 20 years!
Quit thinking like a baseball fan. Think like a shareholder. Dipoto should be here for life.

:suds:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to beat my dead horse theory into the ground about Dipoto given an open check book:

2012 Angels 4th in Payroll .549 winning %
2013 Angels 7th w/ .481%
2014 Angels 6th w/ .605%
2015 Angels 7th w/ .525%

This is Top 10 payroll every year he was there with the best player in the game and other All-Stars and a top manager, and he still couldn't build anything. So my point is, we need to be in Top 10 in payroll while also having a GM that can do something with it. Anyone can spend someone else's money, but building winning team takes talent. Talent I don't think Dipoto has or has ever had.

So when we beat Toronto in the 3 game series, that was the first playoff series a Dipoto GM'd team had ever won.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
France must have seen a food buffet he was late for...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can dig this.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not stupid at all. Factual actually. He is an Ace and should be judged as one. Yes his off games are still better than most good games around the league, but he still isn't Ace on a consistent bases. Last night he fought for a win and it was more of a #3 outing to me considering the opponent. Still like having him, but I am picturing these outings vs Astros or Rays in a playoff game. That won't go well.
This from Tuesday. Still like the guy, but not all Aces are created equal. At least he kept us in the game. That takes guts.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dfaed..2b mark..mathias..picked.up.
By mariners...from pirates....
But a slg..of 269..is..aaaaaa..
Really..
But he does hit .231.ave.

That wood must be like a willow tree
Wood....
OlyLimpick..
Lolololp

Last edited:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will go to tacoma.hopefully.
Gregorius comes up..
But ..cesar.herandez only hitting..
Mariners can't catch a break .even...

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Casey Sadler..expected return..
Early July...
Dollard out till 2024.
They say..2024..for ray..as well.
But normal..is 18.months..
He underwent surgery..may 3rd.
So.could be next..october
Or spring is more like it.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile across the street you’ll find a team that has culture, history of winning (minus 90’s), and a reasonable expectation year in and year out of winning at some level. The Mariners literally don’t even have a fraction of what the Seahawks have as an organization, and they are right across the street! IMO, it all comes down to ownership. We can blast Jerry, Scott, and whoever else we want and be somewhat validated but in the end we go as ownership allows us to go. This is why until that dork Stanton sells the team our past will continue to be written as our current history while we fill their pockets just to see us celebrate a year (95) in which we didn’t even make the WS. Think about that, we literally celebrate failure rather than thrive for success in this organization. Pathetic!
Exactly. As much as I hate Jerry Jones. At least he tries to win. I feel like our ownership cares more about making money than he does about winning.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we getting the blow pen for the last 2?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners/Phillies lose 2 out of 3 to the Nats :L

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be wrong but did Grover and Ichiro have issues?
I believe that team could have had made the playoffs.
Yes. As I remember, Hargrove wanted to bat Ichiro 3rd and for him to workout with the team instead of doing his own thing. We had two managers quit/leave in the same decade. No other franchise has ever done that! :)