• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Holy shit... we're fucked

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From nj.com, regarding the Phillies new TV deal:

Just how much of an increase could the Phillies get? The Good Phight, one of the top Phillies sports blog, put together a nice piece on what the value of the new deal could be. By looking at some of the top markets such as Los Angeles, Texas, Anaheim and New York, they project the Phillies new deal to be worth somewhere between $180-$275 million annually.

To put that in perspective, the entire Phillies payroll last season was $170 million- meaning they would potentially be able to pay their entire payroll just from the TV deal.

In addition, as Crossing Broad points out, every team in the league next season will be receiving $27 million from a national TV deal the league has. That ups the Phillies annual bankroll from TV deals to potentially $200 million dollars.

I honestly don't think this is a good thing. Ruben will have even more money to blow on horrible signings now. I imagine Ruben to act like this after the new contract is inked:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJUt_x0gwug]Scarface cocaine mountain - YouTube[/ame]

then

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuMJBLio7FU]I am the Smartest Man Alive - YouTube[/ame]

Frizzle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shame they are not playing better...

Most likely they will get $180 million as the team is in decline which will mean a much smaller viewership on TV.

Perhaps if they do get the $180 million they can buy out the rest of Howards contract and send him down the road...

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shame they are not playing better...

Most likely they will get $180 million as the team is in decline which will mean a much smaller viewership on TV.

Perhaps if they do get the $180 million they can buy out the rest of Howards contract and send him down the road...
Can't buy out contracts in baseball, you could trade him and eat some of his salary though

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree in a sense that this could be trouble for the Phillies - Ruben's going to do some dumb shit with that money unfortunately - I hope Ryne Sandberg has enough input into the team that he can knock some sense into Ruben but that's doubtful most likely

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The money would honestly be better spent donated to the community, government, one person (me?) or anything else. It's just such a damn waste. A smart GM would make good use of the extra money. Ruben, on the other hand, will try to set some world record for biggest contract by signing Ellsbury, Cano, or McCann to 15 year deals. Or perhaps all three.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The money would honestly be better spent donated to the community, government, one person (me?) or anything else. It's just such a damn waste. A smart GM would make good use of the extra money. Ruben, on the other hand, will try to set some world record for biggest contract by signing Ellsbury, Cano, or McCann to 15 year deals. Or perhaps all three.
They need to use the money more towards international signings - teams like the Dodgers and Rangers have been very successful on that front - when you have a need, go that route instead of the FA route - FA route is only for teams that need that one last player to contend

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are so depressing. Get your heads out of the toilet bowl. Be glad that you've got a team that can demand a few hundred mill. Revere and Howard are back healthy next year along with Ruiz, and Utley. I knew that would cheer ya'll up.
:laugh3:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to use the money more towards international signings - teams like the Dodgers and Rangers have been very successful on that front - when you have a need, go that route instead of the FA route - FA route is only for teams that need that one last player to contend

Big name free agency is very similar to signing international players who defect and/or wish to play in the U.S. The years are roughly the same, the money is usually less, the risk is greater, the players are typically younger, and the upside might be a little higher.

Trivia time: Name the 3 Puerto Rican born MLB players in the Hall of Fame.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are so depressing. Get your heads out of the toilet bowl. Be glad that you've got a team that can demand a few hundred mill. Revere and Howard are back healthy next year along with Ruiz, and Utley. I knew that would cheer ya'll up.

I don't why you're laughing. Apparently, you think this is enough to propel the Phillies to the playoffs.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you forgot how shitty the rotation is

Sorry, I'm not being sucked into this "Oh everyone's coming back healthy and we're going to contend again!" crap - been through that way too many times

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you forgot how shitty the rotation is

Sorry, I'm not being sucked into this "Oh everyone's coming back healthy and we're going to contend again!" crap - been through that way too many times

Or how inept the offense is. I think the bullpen will be better, but still mediocre at best.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, please refrain some saying "ya'll." It reminds me too much of Braves fans.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh i thought this was a Bears thread. Sorry.

BackingAway-1.gif

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big name free agency is very similar to signing international players who defect and/or wish to play in the U.S. The years are roughly the same, the money is usually less, the risk is greater, the players are typically younger, and the upside might be a little higher.

Trivia time: Name the 3 Puerto Rican born MLB players in the Hall of Fame.

That's not true. I think with the international signings you don't have to give up a draft pick like you would with a signing of a big name free agent. Also, a lot of those Cuban guys don't understand English that well so they have no idea how stupid the Phillies fan base is.

Was Roberto Clemente Puerto Rican? That's all I got. Wait a minute--how about Manny Sanguillen?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jose cardenal? jose cruz?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not true. I think with the international signings you don't have to give up a draft pick like you would with a signing of a big name free agent. Also, a lot of those Cuban guys don't understand English that well so they have no idea how stupid the Phillies fan base is.

Was Roberto Clemente Puerto Rican? That's all I got. Wait a minute--how about Manny Sanguillen?
I think he might have meant that it isn't similar(similar in that both US and int'l are FA's) in terms of the value of the players and the age etc

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You don't. There are advantages and disadvantages to signing a big name Japan/Cuban player versus signing a big name free agent. I was just saying that at the end of the day, you're getting a talented player for lots of years and money.

And Clemente yes, no to all of your other guesses.