• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hodgson back up, Oberg set down (Hammer back)

merlynbc

Go Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Tambi paired with Ballard as 4th D pair @ practice. CoHo between Glass and Oreskovitch on 4th line, on 2nd unit PP. (per Ben Kuzma via Twitter)

Curtrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why was he sent down before?

I am hearing that he was sent down to free cap space for some D call-ups. I also hear that the Canucks were trying to preserve his rookie status for next year (which will make him eligible for the Calder Memorial Trophy).

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Why was he sent down before?

I am hearing that he was sent down to free cap space for some D call-ups. I also hear that the Canucks were trying to preserve his rookie status for next year (which will make him eligible for the Calder Memorial Trophy).

AV said it was more valuable for him to get 20 minutes a game rather than 8 minutes a game.
which makes the recall a bit odd.

10 games burns a year on the rookie contract, but i think he would need 25 games to be ineligible for the Calder next year.

merlynbc

Go Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
10 games burns a year on the rookie contract, but i think he would need 25 games to be ineligible for the Calder next year.

Isn't that only for Junior? I thought the 10 games did not apply to AHL (i.e. Pro) players.

merlynbc

Go Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Anyway, I never understood the demotion in the first place. If CoHo is trying out for the 4th line center, why send him down? If he isn't the guy for that spot, they have 3 games to decide, and can get someone else at the deadline. But if they hadn't sent him down, they would have had longer to evaluate him. I don't really get it....

Unless (blasphemy coming) they are showcasing him.... Think about it... CoHo is not really a 4th line guy. He really needs to be top 6/9. Canucks top 6 are all signed at least for next season and most for future years as well. The same is true of the 3rd line center, Manny. So there is no center spot available here next year, or for the next couple, except 4th line.

Can Cody play the wing? That might be a possibility. Maybe trade a 2nd/3rd line winger (my choice would be Mason Raymond) for a gritty 4th line center (someone like Konopka or Madden?). Come to think of it, Raymond wouldn't look too bad beside Grabs on the Island.

Thoughts from my little pea brain......

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Hamhuis AND Ballard back in the lineup tonight

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless (blasphemy coming) they are showcasing him.... Think about it... CoHo is not really a 4th line guy. He really needs to be top 6/9. Canucks top 6 are all signed at least for next season and most for future years as well. The same is true of the 3rd line center, Manny. So there is no center spot available here next year, or for the next couple, except 4th line.

if its for a young Dman of similar calibre I would be happy but he would have to be NHL ready within 1 year.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I think this is basically a 3-game test to see if we need to pick up a 4th line centre (Konopka?) for our run this year.
methinks Cody ends up on the 3rd line next year (bye bye Torres?), with Manny taking the draws.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is basically a 3-game test to see if we need to pick up a 4th line centre (Konopka?) for our run this year.
methinks Cody ends up on the 3rd line next year (bye bye Torres?), with Manny taking the draws.

Pretty much, av's words were "3 game tryout"

And that's the 3 year plan gilman told matt sekeres about
Cody on the 3rd line asap in a more offensive role than the table scraps he gets on the 4th line
Best case scenario on the second line and kesler moves to wing again taking the draws until coho become competant at it

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think Cody got a second of ice time in the third period. I dont remember seeing him at all.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems to me that management and coaching arent on the same wavelength with Hodgson ... i dont know ... did he warrant a 3rd period benching? wasnt as if he couldnt keep up ... back to back shifts in the 1st where his glove fell off and he scrambled to go pick it up and then a very light stick check by a hab knocked the stick from coho's hands ... did that do him in? on the pp, he parked himself in front of the net with Burrows doing the same thing 2 feet away ... if he wasnt supposed to be playing that role (ie they wanted him out at the half boards), what was going on there?

grover345

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I almost put his development plan on par with that of Keslers. AHL. Bottom 6 for a season or two. Get some NHL experience, and watch him grow.

yes, he's highly regarded as a prospect, but he's battled injuries. I say it's another 2 seasons before we see him playing top 6 minutes here. But it will be here.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny you say that because as he took that wrist shot that went wide off the drop pass from Oreskovich (might have been Glass), I thought he looked an awful lot like Kesler.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Gillis likened his progression on after-hours to that of Logan Couture:
lots of AHL ice-time, alternating with sniffs on NHL action - "learning the game more at every turn".

it's in here somewhere

Last edited by a moderator: