• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

hmmmmm????

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
images

i know you like Shields but we would give up at least 2 level-A starters and maybe 2 other minor leaguers is he worth that?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know you like Shields but we would give up at least 2 level-A starters and maybe 2 other minor leaguers is he worth that?

I really don't know. The Rangers have done such a great job of developing their farm system I hate to give all our prospects away. Especially pitching prospects. I'm not like TB by any means. I thought the Adams trade wasa great trade for both parties and has turned out great for Texas. If we know Shields will be a Lee type ace, I would say absolutely. But no one really knows that. Makes me glad I'm not in the Rangers front office lol.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought he could opt out after this year... if not, he's still worth it. He won 16 games with that anemic offense.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he could opt out after this year... if not, he's still worth it. He won 16 games with that anemic offense.

club options, just wrote in another thread and now I get to look like a know it all in this one too :)

Club options through 2014.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
looking at his September stats it appears that he still has something left in the tank. he made 6 starts, 41.0 IP, 38 hits his record was only 3-2 but he went 6.0 in 1 game 6.1 in another and the rest were 7 innings or more. i don't think he's the answer if CJ walks but if we keep CJ i might let Colby go and bring in Oswalt

You think Oswalt has more in the tank than Colby?

Oswalt is no better than a #5 for the part of the year he's not on the DL. TEX had that last year with Rich Harden. Oswalt adds no value for the season he'd be taking a roster spot ... and blocks a spot for a better deserving future SP.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and from reading comments made by the Rangers toward the end of the season and during the early post-season their interest in Darvish has diminished as the interest by other teams has increased. it seems now that the Rangers are more intent on re-signing CJ and then looking at maintaining their starter & relief staffs as they are now. that would require re-signing Michael Gonzalez and either re-signing Oliver or looking at another lefthander to replace him.

that being said, they may still look at an upgrade at the one starter position that is a regular season weak spot.

It's pretty typical for a team to down play interest in a particular player at this time of the year. Doesn't mean a lot one way or the other until the FA process kicks into gear.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i say give oswalt a go if someone over pays cj....if we keep cj i dont think we get oswalt....oswalt imo still has some good seasons in him left and who knows it might help his back not swinging the bat and just pitching

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's pretty typical for a team to down play interest in a particular player at this time of the year. Doesn't mean a lot one way or the other until the FA process kicks into gear.

... especially since talking about a player who is under contract to another team will get you nailed by MLB (and a court) for meddling.

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Feel that is way too much to give up for Shields. Rangers have Great Prospects in our system right now. The Rays aren't shopping Shields right now anyway.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Oswalt has more in the tank than Colby?

Oswalt is no better than a #5 for the part of the year he's not on the DL. TEX had that last year with Rich Harden. Oswalt adds no value for the season he'd be taking a roster spot ... and blocks a spot for a better deserving future SP.

Philly basically had 4 pitchers maybe 5 counting Oswalt that would be a #1 or #2 on other staffs and a couple up-and-comers that are ready to step in which is why they opted out on Oswalt. Oswalt brings a lot more than a Webb or Harden brought and still has plenty in his tank.

i can't believe that you believe he would bring nothing to the team. he has 159-93 record in an 11-year career and is only 34-years old and averaged 32 starts between 2004 and 2010 and won 107 and lost 66. tell me what Webb and harden did during the same period.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I never thought Harden brought anything ... I was always very vocal denouncing him and locking horns with Jeremy over him at the old place.

Webb ditto. I was just saying there is more potential upside from Webb than Oswalt in 2012 ... if TEX were to sign Webb to deal that is contingent on him making the roster this time instead of the gift he got last year. Roy Oswalt has had a great 11 year career ... but career numbers are meaningless when projecting what a 34yo pitcher with an injury history next year.

I'd take Colby Lewis over Roy Oswalt at this point in their careers and doubt that TEX would do nothing more than offer Oswalt a minor league deal and invitation to camp. Actually ... he may look around for a gig back in Houston or I bet he retires.

Maybe I'm wrong ... but if he had anything left in his tank ... why did PHL decide not to exercise its $2mil club option? Not even for only $2mil would PHL go for him ... why should anyone else?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never thought Harden brought anything ... I was always very vocal denouncing him and locking horns with Jeremy over him at the old place.

Webb ditto. I was just saying there is more potential upside from Webb than Oswalt in 2012 ... if TEX were to sign Webb to deal that is contingent on him making the roster this time instead of the gift he got last year. Roy Oswalt has had a great 11 year career ... but career numbers are meaningless when projecting what a 34yo pitcher with an injury history next year.

I'd take Colby Lewis over Roy Oswalt at this point in their careers and doubt that TEX would do nothing more than offer Oswalt a minor league deal and invitation to camp. Actually ... he may look around for a gig back in Houston or I bet he retires.

Maybe I'm wrong ... but if he had anything left in his tank ... why did PHL decide not to exercise its $2mil club option? Not even for only $2mil would PHL go for him ... why should anyone else?

mainly because they have with him 5 #1 or #2 starters and a couple of very good prospects ( Holliday, Lee, Hamels, Worley, Blanton, Kendrick and Oswalt) that are ready to step in. and they are willing to take the salary drop.

and actually the Phillies declined to pick up the 16M option and instead gave him the 2M buyout per his contract.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mainly because they have with him 5 #1 or #2 starters and a couple of very good prospects ( Holliday, Lee, Hamels, Worley, Blanton, Kendrick and Oswalt) that are ready to step in. and they are willing to take the salary drop.

and actually the Phillies declined to pick up the 16M option and instead gave him the 2M buyout per his contract.

or because he's 34 years old with 11 years of pitching wear and tear on his body

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regular wear and tear AND a legitimately balky back

he had some back issues this season. before this season he had averaged 32+ starts a season and 15 wins and negative injury issues from the 2004 season to the 2010 season. and he appeared to have overcome the injury during the last month of the season with 6 starts in September

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he had some back issues this season. before this season he had averaged 32+ starts a season and 15 wins and negative injury issues from the 2004 season to the 2010 season. and he appeared to have overcome the injury during the last month of the season with 6 starts in September

Yes but he's had the issues with his back for a while, and just bc he was able to pitch through it for a few years doesn't mean it wasnt an issue

Also just bc he came back doesnt mean they wont flare back up

I think last year was just the beginning of the end

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The possibility of a 16 million dollar payday can make a guy overcome a lot.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but he's had the issues with his back for a while, and just bc he was able to pitch through it for a few years doesn't mean it wasnt an issue

Also just bc he came back doesnt mean they wont flare back up

I think last year was just the beginning of the end

he has? i don't see anything about previous back issues

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and we got feldman to wonder about ,,,what are we going to do with him i think he gets traded dont need a long man for 7 mil with a 9 mil option(600k buyout) so i dont think he really has a shot of getting that picked up unless he is starting some where...this could then allow the rangers to move lets say colby to long man or maybe ogando and lets say maybe we are looking at a staff holland/harrison/cj and then 2 of any of these oswalt/colby/ogando and any of the other FA's listed earlier