• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

History of 49ers in the NFC Championship Game

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kezar Stadium

Cowboys 17, 49ers 10

The 49ers of coach Dick Nolan, quarterback John Brodie and wide receiver Gene Washington led the NFL in scoring at more than 25 points per game. But Dallas’ sturdy defense limited the 49ers to a first-quarter field goal and a third-quarter Brodie touchdown pass. The Cowboys followed running back Duane Thomas (143 yards rushing) to their Super Bowl appearance. Former Cal quarterback Craig Morton completed only 7 of 22 passes for Dallas, but his short touchdown pass to Walt Garrison, stretching his team’s lead to 17-3, proved decisive.
Jan. 2, 1972

Texas Stadium

Cowboys 14, 49ers 3

Another defensive struggle in which coach Tom Landry’s ‘Boys prevailed. Brodie threw three interceptions and his Cowboys counterpart, Roger Staubach – completing his first season as the full-time starter – was unspectacular (9-for-18) but avoided costly mistakes. The 49ers managed only Bruce Gossett’s 28-yard field goal in the second quarter, while the Cowboys scored on short runs by Calvin Hill and Thomas. A theme formed in 49ers playoff lore: They were good, but they couldn’t quite get past the Cowboys.
Jan. 10, 1982

Candlestick Park

49ers 28, Cowboys 27

Finally, they conquered the Cowboys. It only took one of the most famous plays in NFL history, Joe Montana’s 6-yard touchdown pass to Dwight Clark – eternally known as The Catch – to send the 49ers to the Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history. Equally significant were the contributions of Eric Wright (game-saving tackle), Lawrence Pillers (forced fumble) and Jim Stuckey (fumble recovery) on Dallas’ last-chance drive. They preserved the win, launching a dynastic run of five Super Bowl titles in 14 seasons.
Jan. 8, 1984

RFK Stadium

Redskins 24, 49ers 21

This nearly became one of Montana’s signature wins. The Redskins went 14-2 in the regular season, whacked the Rams 51-7 in the divisional round and seized a 21-0 lead in the title game. Here came Montana and the 49ers, scoring three touchdowns in the fourth quarter to suddenly tie the score at 21-21. The Redskins then put together a 78-yard drive – aided by controversial penalties on 49ers defensive backs Ronnie Lott and Wright – culminating in Mark Moseley’s decisive 25-yard field goal with 40 seconds left.
Jan. 6, 1985

Candlestick Park

49ers 23, Bears 0

So which team had the smothering defense? The Bears, one year away from their dominant march to the Super Bowl, surrendered meekly as the 49ers took another step toward winning the title without leaving the Bay Area. Chicago had only 186 yards in total offense – nearly half by Walter Payton (92 yards rushing) – as San Francisco’s defense pitched a shutout, sacking Bears quarterback Steve Fuller nine times. Two weeks later, the 49ers raced past Miami at Stanford Stadium to win their second Super Bowl.
Jan. 8, 1989

Soldier Field

49ers 28, Bears 3

The game-time temperature was 20 degrees, with a wind chill well below zero. Too cold for the pretty boys from Northern California? Hardly. Montana and Jerry Rice quickly smashed that theory by connecting on two touchdown passes, one covering 61 yards and the other 27. Much like their championship-game matchup four years earlier, the Bears couldn’t get going on offense – they managed even fewer total yards (176) against San Francisco’s sturdy defense. The 49ers advanced to another Super Bowl, where Montana and John Taylor beat the Bengals to give coach Bill Walsh his third (and final) ring.
Jan. 14, 1990

Candlestick Park

49ers 30, Rams 3

George Seifert’s first conference championship game unfolded a lot like Walsh’s last two – an emphatic win in which the opponent couldn’t find the end zone. The Rams scored first, on Mike Lansford’s field goal, and then watched Montana carve them up with impressive precision, even by his lofty standards. Montana completed 26 of 30 passes for 262 yards and two touchdowns. The 49ers intercepted Rams quarterback Jim Everett three times: one each by Lott, Tim McKyer and Keena Turner. Los Angeles had only 156 yards of total offense.
Jan. 17, 1993

Candlestick Park

Cowboys 30, 49ers 20

Here started another lingering mini-drama, in which the 49ers repeatedly reached the NFC title game only to run into those damn Cowboys. This time, it was the Cowboys of Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin. That trio proved too much to overcome, as Aikman threw for 322 yards, Smith ran for 114 yards and Irvin caught six passes for 86 yards. Dallas’ other wide receiver, Alvin Harper, also did plenty of damage, catching three passes for 117 yards, including a 70-yard completion to set up the clinching touchdown.
Jan. 23, 1994

Texas Stadium

Cowboys 38, 49ers 21

The 49ers staggered into the playoffs after losing three of their last four regular-season games. They seemed to right the ship with a 44-3 pasting of the Giants in the divisional round, but Dallas again proved too much. Aikman threw two second-quarter touchdown passes as the Cowboys zoomed to a 28-7 halftime lead. The 49ers briefly threatened in the second half, but Bernie Kosar’s TD pass and a long Eddie Murray field goal stuffed San Francisco in a 38-14 hole. The Cowboys were headed to their second consecutive Super Bowl title.
Jan. 15, 1995

Candlestick Park

49ers 38, Cowboys 28

Finally, they conquered the Cowboys (sound familiar?). The 49ers, after falling to Dallas in each of the two previous conference title games, jumped to an early 21-0 lead and then held off persistent Cowboys threats. San Francisco’s defense surrendered gobs of yardage (451 in all) but forced five Dallas turnovers, including three Aikman interceptions. Steve Young threw two touchdown passes, ran for another and created an enduring image when he took several exuberant victory laps after the game.
Jan. 11, 1998

Candlestick Park

Packers 23, 49ers 10

Steve Mariucci’s first season as 49ers head coach – mostly successful, after a 13-3 regular season and 38-22 divisional playoff win over Minnesota – ended with a whimper. The 49ers managed only 33 yards rushing and scored no offensive touchdowns in falling to Brett Favre and the Packers. Green Bay built a 13-3 halftime lead and stretched it to 23-3 before the 49ers finally reached the end zone on Chuck Levy’s late, meaningless 95-kickoff return. The Packers went on to the Super Bowl, where they lost to John Elway and the Broncos.

San Francisco 49ers – Niner Insider Blog – SFGate.com History of 49ers in the NFC Championship Game

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard the 49ers have never lost a Superbowl... is that right?

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impressive.

Not really a fan of any of these teams, but I'll be rooting for SF.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kezar Stadium

Cowboys 17, 49ers 10

The 49ers of coach Dick Nolan, quarterback John Brodie and wide receiver Gene Washington led the NFL in scoring at more than 25 points per game. But Dallas’ sturdy defense limited the 49ers to a first-quarter field goal and a third-quarter Brodie touchdown pass. The Cowboys followed running back Duane Thomas (143 yards rushing) to their Super Bowl appearance. Former Cal quarterback Craig Morton completed only 7 of 22 passes for Dallas, but his short touchdown pass to Walt Garrison, stretching his team’s lead to 17-3, proved decisive.
Jan. 2, 1972

Texas Stadium

Cowboys 14, 49ers 3

Another defensive struggle in which coach Tom Landry’s ‘Boys prevailed. Brodie threw three interceptions and his Cowboys counterpart, Roger Staubach – completing his first season as the full-time starter – was unspectacular (9-for-18) but avoided costly mistakes. The 49ers managed only Bruce Gossett’s 28-yard field goal in the second quarter, while the Cowboys scored on short runs by Calvin Hill and Thomas. A theme formed in 49ers playoff lore: They were good, but they couldn’t quite get past the Cowboys.
Jan. 10, 1982

Candlestick Park

49ers 28, Cowboys 27

Finally, they conquered the Cowboys. It only took one of the most famous plays in NFL history, Joe Montana’s 6-yard touchdown pass to Dwight Clark – eternally known as The Catch – to send the 49ers to the Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history. Equally significant were the contributions of Eric Wright (game-saving tackle), Lawrence Pillers (forced fumble) and Jim Stuckey (fumble recovery) on Dallas’ last-chance drive. They preserved the win, launching a dynastic run of five Super Bowl titles in 14 seasons.
Jan. 8, 1984

RFK Stadium

Redskins 24, 49ers 21

This nearly became one of Montana’s signature wins. The Redskins went 14-2 in the regular season, whacked the Rams 51-7 in the divisional round and seized a 21-0 lead in the title game. Here came Montana and the 49ers, scoring three touchdowns in the fourth quarter to suddenly tie the score at 21-21. The Redskins then put together a 78-yard drive – aided by controversial penalties on 49ers defensive backs Ronnie Lott and Wright – culminating in Mark Moseley’s decisive 25-yard field goal with 40 seconds left.
Jan. 6, 1985

Candlestick Park

49ers 23, Bears 0

So which team had the smothering defense? The Bears, one year away from their dominant march to the Super Bowl, surrendered meekly as the 49ers took another step toward winning the title without leaving the Bay Area. Chicago had only 186 yards in total offense – nearly half by Walter Payton (92 yards rushing) – as San Francisco’s defense pitched a shutout, sacking Bears quarterback Steve Fuller nine times. Two weeks later, the 49ers raced past Miami at Stanford Stadium to win their second Super Bowl.
Jan. 8, 1989

Soldier Field

49ers 28, Bears 3

The game-time temperature was 20 degrees, with a wind chill well below zero. Too cold for the pretty boys from Northern California? Hardly. Montana and Jerry Rice quickly smashed that theory by connecting on two touchdown passes, one covering 61 yards and the other 27. Much like their championship-game matchup four years earlier, the Bears couldn’t get going on offense – they managed even fewer total yards (176) against San Francisco’s sturdy defense. The 49ers advanced to another Super Bowl, where Montana and John Taylor beat the Bengals to give coach Bill Walsh his third (and final) ring.
Jan. 14, 1990

Candlestick Park

49ers 30, Rams 3

George Seifert’s first conference championship game unfolded a lot like Walsh’s last two – an emphatic win in which the opponent couldn’t find the end zone. The Rams scored first, on Mike Lansford’s field goal, and then watched Montana carve them up with impressive precision, even by his lofty standards. Montana completed 26 of 30 passes for 262 yards and two touchdowns. The 49ers intercepted Rams quarterback Jim Everett three times: one each by Lott, Tim McKyer and Keena Turner. Los Angeles had only 156 yards of total offense.
Jan. 17, 1993

Candlestick Park

Cowboys 30, 49ers 20

Here started another lingering mini-drama, in which the 49ers repeatedly reached the NFC title game only to run into those damn Cowboys. This time, it was the Cowboys of Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin. That trio proved too much to overcome, as Aikman threw for 322 yards, Smith ran for 114 yards and Irvin caught six passes for 86 yards. Dallas’ other wide receiver, Alvin Harper, also did plenty of damage, catching three passes for 117 yards, including a 70-yard completion to set up the clinching touchdown.
Jan. 23, 1994

Texas Stadium

Cowboys 38, 49ers 21

The 49ers staggered into the playoffs after losing three of their last four regular-season games. They seemed to right the ship with a 44-3 pasting of the Giants in the divisional round, but Dallas again proved too much. Aikman threw two second-quarter touchdown passes as the Cowboys zoomed to a 28-7 halftime lead. The 49ers briefly threatened in the second half, but Bernie Kosar’s TD pass and a long Eddie Murray field goal stuffed San Francisco in a 38-14 hole. The Cowboys were headed to their second consecutive Super Bowl title.
Jan. 15, 1995

Candlestick Park

49ers 38, Cowboys 28

Finally, they conquered the Cowboys (sound familiar?). The 49ers, after falling to Dallas in each of the two previous conference title games, jumped to an early 21-0 lead and then held off persistent Cowboys threats. San Francisco’s defense surrendered gobs of yardage (451 in all) but forced five Dallas turnovers, including three Aikman interceptions. Steve Young threw two touchdown passes, ran for another and created an enduring image when he took several exuberant victory laps after the game.
Jan. 11, 1998

Candlestick Park

Packers 23, 49ers 10

Steve Mariucci’s first season as 49ers head coach – mostly successful, after a 13-3 regular season and 38-22 divisional playoff win over Minnesota – ended with a whimper. The 49ers managed only 33 yards rushing and scored no offensive touchdowns in falling to Brett Favre and the Packers. Green Bay built a 13-3 halftime lead and stretched it to 23-3 before the 49ers finally reached the end zone on Chuck Levy’s late, meaningless 95-kickoff return. The Packers went on to the Super Bowl, where they lost to John Elway and the Broncos.

San Francisco 49ers – Niner Insider Blog – SFGate.com History of 49ers in the NFC Championship Game

How in the fuck could you have forgotten about the debacle in 1990 when Craig fumbled away the threepeat?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know which was worse, getting robbed in '83 or giving it away in '90.

I feel getting robbed is worse... the game was taken out of the players hands by the officials. At least Craig just screwed up and fumbled... I can live with that, but it pisses me off to no end to watch the officials determine who wins.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I feel getting robbed is worse... the game was taken out of the players hands by the officials. At least Craig just screwed up and fumbled... I can live with that, but it pisses me off to no end to watch the officials determine who wins.

I agree. The 49ers won that game and the refs took it from them.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know which was worse, getting robbed in '83 or giving it away in '90.

For me, the toughest by far was '90...

(I know it wasn't a NFC Champ game - but '72 wasn't fun either - '72 could very well have been the first time I said the "F"-Word! gasp)

Ghost, I believe this is yours and my 43rd playoff game (at least that is all I'm admitting to ;) ). We are currently at 26 & 16 - Whaddya say we finish this playoff run 12 playoff wins over .500!

I'm out - you and the rest of the crew have an incredible day and may we all have a reason to celebrate through the night!!!

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For me, the toughest by far was '90...

(I know it wasn't a NFC Champ game - but '72 wasn't fun either - '72 could very well have been the first time I said the "F"-Word! gasp)

Ghost, I believe this is yours and my 43rd playoff game (at least that is all I'm admitting to ;) ). We are currently at 26 & 16 - Whaddya say we finish this playoff run 12 playoff wins over .500!
I'm out - you and the rest of the crew have an incredible day and may we all have a reason to celebrate through the night!!!

I'm down with that!

Jdogg1sd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have hated...HATED the Redskins ever since the phantom pass interference call that GAVE them the game in 1983!