• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Higgins offseason thread

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To further my point.... What happens this year if Tee tears an ACL? He'll have to go to FA and sign a 1 year prove it type deal. Particularly coming off an injured an uneven 2023 season.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw an article suggesting the Bears should trade their #9 overall pick to Cincinnati for Higgins to pair with Caleb Williams and DJ Moore. However, in order to make the trade Higgins would be required to sign a new long term contract with the Bears who can easily afford his contract. They mention how the Bears would be willing to support their rookie signal caller immediately, while hoping they can recoup a little draft stock by trading Justin Fields.

Seems a little wonky, but I understand the logic from the writers standpoint. A veteran WR who is young and in his prime and a proven commodity while their QB is on a rookie deal.

That would allow us to maybe draft:

#9 OT Taliese Fuaga (long term solution on offensive line - fix one side of the trench)
#18 WR Brian Thomas Jr. (long term solution for Higgins)
#49 DT T'Vondre Sweat (helps clog the middle on defense while helping run defense)

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much would that change the Bears offense by doing the following:

QB Caleb Williams
RB Saquan Barkley (free agency)
WR Tee Higgins (trade #9 pick)
WR DJ Moore
TE Cole Kmet

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also like this strategy against his current agent. It seems that a lot of these guys aren't looking to seriously deal two years before their contract is up. To me, that is still the best case scenario for players and teams. Teams lock guys up at a slightly discounted rate. Players make real money a full year in advance and many will then become eligible for a third deal years before they turn 30. Agents don't like it because they can't flash the guaranteed money or the next big contract. If they aren't serious about getting their clients a good deal before FA, I'm inclined to use whatever devices available - Even if that means a second tag.
They're thinking they are getting an extra XXX amount of dollars when really, they are costing them an extra contract that, over a career, would end up paying them more.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw an article suggesting the Bears should trade their #9 overall pick to Cincinnati for Higgins to pair with Caleb Williams and DJ Moore. However, in order to make the trade Higgins would be required to sign a new long term contract with the Bears who can easily afford his contract. They mention how the Bears would be willing to support their rookie signal caller immediately, while hoping they can recoup a little draft stock by trading Justin Fields.

Seems a little wonky, but I understand the logic from the writers standpoint. A veteran WR who is young and in his prime and a proven commodity while their QB is on a rookie deal.

That would allow us to maybe draft:

#9 OT Taliese Fuaga (long term solution on offensive line - fix one side of the trench)
#18 WR Brian Thomas Jr. (long term solution for Higgins)
#49 DT T'Vondre Sweat (helps clog the middle on defense while helping run defense)
I'd do that.

And - if you sign a OT in F/A...imagine what the Bengals could do at #9....and then #18.....

Could even trade back from 9 and end up with another 2nd or 3rd round pick....Still land an impact guy, like the DT from Illinois, or a WR...or another OT (Because really, you can't have enough) or an IOL somewhere...

Or Bowers.....

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd do that.

And - if you sign a OT in F/A...imagine what the Bengals could do at #9....and then #18.....

Could even trade back from 9 and end up with another 2nd or 3rd round pick....Still land an impact guy, like the DT from Illinois, or a WR...or another OT (Because really, you can't have enough) or an IOL somewhere...

Or Bowers.....
Sign OT in FA and then spend #9 on Bowers if he is there and #18 on Thomas Jr.. That would give the Bengals plenty of weapons.

QB Burrow
RB Mixon/Brown
WR Chase
WR Thomas Jr.
WR Jones
TE Bowers

Both Thomas and Bowers are serious red zone threats as well with their height and leaping ability. We would lose Higgins veteran knowledge on offense, but in the long run, you are looking at two more receiving threats for minimum of 5 years, plus a 4 year extension for Chase giving us him for 6 years. Wouldn't have to worry about weapons for Burrow for the foreseeable future.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign OT in FA and then spend #9 on Bowers if he is there and #18 on Thomas Jr.. That would give the Bengals plenty of weapons.

QB Burrow
RB Mixon/Brown
WR Chase
WR Thomas Jr.
WR Jones
TE Bowers

Both Thomas and Bowers are serious red zone threats as well with their height and leaping ability. We would lose Higgins veteran knowledge on offense, but in the long run, you are looking at two more receiving threats for minimum of 5 years, plus a 4 year extension for Chase giving us him for 6 years. Wouldn't have to worry about weapons for Burrow for the foreseeable future.
would be sweet if we can figure out a way to sign Bowers and keep him around for several years.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would be sweet if we can figure out a way to sign Bowers and keep him around for several years.
Well, if you draft him you get him for at least 5, or 6 if you tag, and 7 if you tag twice...

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

QB Burrow
RB Mixon/Brown
WR Chase
WR Thomas Jr.
WR Jones
TE Bowers

I think if this scenario played out you'd see the DT and a TE/WR (if they went OT in F/A). Have to remember - the defense needs a lot of help, too...and Chase and any other solid WR is going to make that offense work...especially if they upgrade at OT, cut Mixon, and upgrade more at RB (compliment Chase at RB).

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

18. Cincinnati Bengals — Taliese Fuaga, OL, Oregon State​

I looked at defensive tackle here for the Bengals, too, but Fuaga is a tier above the remaining defensive tackle class and the Bengals only have three offensive lineman on their roster who are under contract for the 2025 season. So, some investment will likely be needed along the offensive line to keep Joe Burrow upright. Fuaga can stay at right tackle or bump inside if needed, but he will be a positive player in the run game and is a fine pass protector with size. It’s hard to find actual good-or-better offensive tackles without investing in them, so the Bengals invest in Fuaga, who slides in for Jonah Williams at right tackle and would give the Bengals two powerful pieces in the run game at both tackle spots with Orlando Brown on the other side.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if this scenario played out you'd see the DT and a TE/WR (if they went OT in F/A). Have to remember - the defense needs a lot of help, too...and Chase and any other solid WR is going to make that offense work...especially if they upgrade at OT, cut Mixon, and upgrade more at RB (compliment Chase at RB).
If that is the case, I would much rather have Thomas than Bowers.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is the case, I would much rather have Thomas than Bowers.
I guess it depends on how they feel about Yoshi....

I mean, Chase and Bowers would be a dynamic duo - and really allow a lot of leeway for that #2 WR slot to grow...

Or they could also find a fill-in for another year, or two, in F/A...though, that market isn't great....

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it depends on how they feel about Yoshi....

I mean, Chase and Bowers would be a dynamic duo - and really allow a lot of leeway for that #2 WR slot to grow...

Or they could also find a fill-in for another year, or two, in F/A...though, that market isn't great....
There are many TE's on the open market right now because of the last couple drafts. Hard to find a kid like Thomas who is 6'4, 200 pounds, fast, great hands, and elite in the red zone. Plus, as you have said many times before, we don't use our TE like a lot of teams do. Just go get Hurst back in FA with a RT and stock the DT and WR position in 1st round if that trade went through. I mean, you have $21.8 million dollars freed up by trading Higs, so that puts us right back in the running for a couple great free agents to boost this team.

Sign the following guys in the FA:

DT Christian Wilkens
RT Mike Onwenu
DT DJ Reader
S Kamren Curl

After the trade with Chicago, draft Bowers and Thomas Jr.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are many TE's on the open market right now because of the last couple drafts. Hard to find a kid like Thomas who is 6'4, 200 pounds, fast, great hands, and elite in the red zone. Plus, as you have said many times before, we don't use our TE like a lot of teams do. Just go get Hurst back in FA with a RT and stock the DT and WR position in 1st round if that trade went through. I mean, you have $21.8 million dollars freed up by trading Higs, so that puts us right back in the running for a couple great free agents to boost this team.

Sign the following guys in the FA:

DT Christian Wilkens
RT Mike Onwenu
DT DJ Reader
S Kamren Curl

After the trade with Chicago, draft Bowers and Thomas Jr.
I'd like to see them go after Fant, Schultz, or Geisecki, personally.

All are young enough to sign for 3-4 years, and all are good all-around TE's that can play in most formations both in blocking and passing.

Hard to disagree with your thoughts on Thomas.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Great WR class. They should draft Thomas from LSU if he's there, trade Higgins for picks, use franchise tag money allotted to Higgins to sign Chase to an extension

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great WR class. They should draft Thomas from LSU if he's there, trade Higgins for picks, use franchise tag money allotted to Higgins to sign Chase to an extension
Issue is - no one is going to give them more value in picks than what Higgins brings to the field.

The Chase money isn't an issue - Higgins contract does not impact that. Bengals are set up very well to handle getting Chase signed. Not only that - but the Bengals have no need to rush in signing Chase. They effectively control him for 2+ more seasons at very reasonable costs. If I were Chase, I would look to extend sooner than later, but it would have to come with a discount...because the team has no incentive to overpay for years they already control him. The key for Chase is to take a little less now but it allows him to hit F/A a second time at a much younger age - meaning another solid contract can still be attained.

But - the writing has been on the wall since Bates. Higgins is not getting traded (unless some team is silly enough to overpay - and if this WR class is so deep and good - why would they when they can draft a WR themselves and save their draft picks AND their money for the next 3-4-5 years).

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Issue is - no one is going to give them more value in picks than what Higgins brings to the field.

The Chase money isn't an issue - Higgins contract does not impact that. Bengals are set up very well to handle getting Chase signed. Not only that - but the Bengals have no need to rush in signing Chase. They effectively control him for 2+ more seasons at very reasonable costs. If I were Chase, I would look to extend sooner than later, but it would have to come with a discount...because the team has no incentive to overpay for years they already control him. The key for Chase is to take a little less now but it allows him to hit F/A a second time at a much younger age - meaning another solid contract can still be attained.

But - the writing has been on the wall since Bates. Higgins is not getting traded (unless some team is silly enough to overpay - and if this WR class is so deep and good - why would they when they can draft a WR themselves and save their draft picks AND their money for the next 3-4-5 years).
I saw a couple trade proposals that saw Higgins going to Denver for Courtland Sutton and Denver's second round pick.

I also saw a trade that would send Higgins and our 2024 6th round pick to the Giants for their WR Slayton, their 2024 2nd round pick, 2025 first round pick, and their 2026 6th round pick.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a couple trade proposals that saw Higgins going to Denver for Courtland Sutton and Denver's second round pick.

I also saw a trade that would send Higgins and our 2024 6th round pick to the Giants for their WR Slayton, their 2024 2nd round pick, 2025 first round pick, and their 2026 6th round pick.
But again - can either of those guys - or any potential draft pick - do what Higgins has done for 4 years....this team is targeting a Super Bowl - and Higgins is the best option at WR to help this team get where it needs to go, IMO.

I get the 'letting him walk for nothing' angle - but if you get to/win a Super Bowl with him this year - I don't think that counts as 'nothing'.

Also - while I think talking heads are fun to read - they are rarely in touch with reality - especially in terms of what teams are willing to trade. It's why every year we see 100's of trade ideas and then 2 trades...maybe. And usually not for big-time players.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But again - can either of those guys - or any potential draft pick - do what Higgins has done for 4 years....this team is targeting a Super Bowl - and Higgins is the best option at WR to help this team get where it needs to go, IMO.

I get the 'letting him walk for nothing' angle - but if you get to/win a Super Bowl with him this year - I don't think that counts as 'nothing'.

Also - while I think talking heads are fun to read - they are rarely in touch with reality - especially in terms of what teams are willing to trade. It's why every year we see 100's of trade ideas and then 2 trades...maybe. And usually not for big-time players.
I'm with you on all this stuff just being bored writers coming up with ideas. I don't mind the ideas, but reviewing some of their ideas, it makes the idea of losing Higgins more tolerable.

The Giants trade, it is a trade to maintain this talent level over the next several years.

The Broncos trade might actually be a more 1-1 trade for this year. I like Cortland Sutton a lot and if he had a guy like Chase opposite him and Burrow throwing him the ball, he could really take off. Plus we get a third rounder to top it off (because I got that part wrong in the trade earlier. #76) That would still be a win mode now. Saves us cap money, gives us our #2 WR still, and gives us a day 2 prospect to grow on.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks to me like Higgins is staying here through the season, and then he'll likely leave to the highest bidder after that.

it's not hard to get a wide receiver in the NFL, if you really want one. no one wants to end up paying Higgins top 5 WR money and then just discover he dropped off suddenly.