• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Higgins offseason thread

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is the year to go all in on players and help for Burrow. We lose Higgins after this and with the cost of Chase going to be going way up and us losing Higgins next year, plus more guys, this is our year to push for it all.

Maybe Young is not the right guy, but maybe he needs the right mentor/coach/team to push him. At any rate, that is neither here nor there.

I am not that impressed by Battle, and Hill seemed to have a sophomore slump year. Safety seems like a good place to make an impact, or corner. A lot of good players going to be available in FA. Be nice to sign a couple more guys like Hendrickson/Reader type of impact players.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team has made some big signings in the Taylor era. Reader, Hendrickson, and OBJ are all guys that nobody figured we would be in the market. My guess is that the big splash will be at DT - I wonder if they jump in on Madubuike or Wilkins. That would be like the Hendrickson year.....Let one injury-prone guy leave (Reader this time rather than Lawson) and find a younger replacement.

I don't think they would seriously do it, but it would be interesting to see them throw some cash at Saquon Barkley. CBS projects him signing for an average of 6 million per year. He would be an ideal back in the Bengals offense and his usage wouldn't need to be as high with Chase Brown on board.
I really like the idea of Madubuike. Not feeling Barkley, mostly because I don't think there is any way in hell he signs for less than $10 million somewhere, even with the reduced market.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you on Young. He tries hard about 20% of the time. No thanks.

I could see Reader coming back only because the market for him could be soft due to his injury. Tee will be tagged. There will be one 'surprising' FAs like last year with Orlando Brown Jr. I have no idea where it will be.

I think you'll see some mid-level targets along the offensive line and defensive line. Maybe a veteran CB that isn't top tier. Maybe a safety.

I don't think they get close with Chase this year. Too many other receivers negotiating right now. I think they play it like they did with Burrow, letting other receivers set the market and then slotting Chase accordingly - Probably next offseason.
I agree. I think they look at franchise tagging Higs this year, franchise Chase next year before his huge contract.

Maybe the surprise signing in FA this year is defense at either DT or CB...wouldn't mind S either, but I think it is at one of those two positions.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is the year to go all in on players and help for Burrow. We lose Higgins after this and with the cost of Chase going to be going way up and us losing Higgins next year, plus more guys, this is our year to push for it all.

Maybe Young is not the right guy, but maybe he needs the right mentor/coach/team to push him. At any rate, that is neither here nor there.

I am not that impressed by Battle, and Hill seemed to have a sophomore slump year. Safety seems like a good place to make an impact, or corner. A lot of good players going to be available in FA. Be nice to sign a couple more guys like Hendrickson/Reader type of impact players.
Battle was one of the top rated rookies defenders in 2023. Graded out at 82.5...I mean...that's a really good rookie year.

Hill played DB last year - so, not shocked that there was some bumps this year as he didn't get a ton of Safety reps last year with Bates still around.

Regardless - they have 2 guys there Lou likes...and they are cheap - money will be spent on a veteran backup, likely...but that's about it. And, if Tycen Anderson makes his way back from ACL - maybe they run it back with him...I just don't see this being a high priority for a starter in any capacity.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Battle was one of the top rated rookies defenders in 2023. Graded out at 82.5...I mean...that's a really good rookie year.

Hill played DB last year - so, not shocked that there was some bumps this year as he didn't get a ton of Safety reps last year with Bates still around.

Regardless - they have 2 guys there Lou likes...and they are cheap - money will be spent on a veteran backup, likely...but that's about it. And, if Tycen Anderson makes his way back from ACL - maybe they run it back with him...I just don't see this being a high priority for a starter in any capacity.
I think Lou needs to adjust. If his D can only be run by two veteran safeties, he has a structural problem that needs to be solved. Battle looks like a really good player. Expand his role and let him do his thing. For Hill, the guy is super effective blitzing off the edge and covering tight ends. He struggles from time to time with his angles and making the right reads when he is single high. The struggles aren't athletic - The dude can fly. Put him in positions where he doesn't need to think. Battle can clean up the rest. Lou needs to play to these guys strengths. I have confidence he'll figure it out.

I was listening to a podcast this morning that made a great point about the AFC. Teams are going to continue to think of ways to 'slow' down Mahomes and the Chiefs..... But that really isn't the goal anymore. The Chiefs offense isn't dangerous in the way it was 3 seasons ago. They are dangerous when you play them in a close game, because Mahomes and Reid are going to beat you in a one score game many more times than they are going to lose. Where they are vulnerable now is a team that can outscore them. This is where Baltimore fucked up in the playoffs.... Don't play their grinding type of game. Go after them...... If we tag Higgins this year, the idea should be to let the offense cook. Take chances down field. Be the best offense in the AFC. Sign a dynamic tight end, play Brown more, consider more speed at RB and lets blow the doors off.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lou needs to adjust. If his D can only be run by two veteran safeties, he has a structural problem that needs to be solved. Battle looks like a really good player. Expand his role and let him do his thing. For Hill, the guy is super effective blitzing off the edge and covering tight ends. He struggles from time to time with his angles and making the right reads when he is single high. The struggles aren't athletic - The dude can fly. Put him in positions where he doesn't need to think. Battle can clean up the rest. Lou needs to play to these guys strengths. I have confidence he'll figure it out.

I was listening to a podcast this morning that made a great point about the AFC. Teams are going to continue to think of ways to 'slow' down Mahomes and the Chiefs..... But that really isn't the goal anymore. The Chiefs offense isn't dangerous in the way it was 3 seasons ago. They are dangerous when you play them in a close game, because Mahomes and Reid are going to beat you in a one score game many more times than they are going to lose. Where they are vulnerable now is a team that can outscore them. This is where Baltimore fucked up in the playoffs.... Don't play their grinding type of game. Go after them...... If we tag Higgins this year, the idea should be to let the offense cook. Take chances down field. Be the best offense in the AFC. Sign a dynamic tight end, play Brown more, consider more speed at RB and lets blow the doors off.
I agree there needs to be some adjustments...but a big issue was more the DL and DB's not being as good against the run. Safeties didn't help a ton, but at the point of attack, the DL was very weak this year, and the DB's allowed a ton of outside separation.

Add to it you had very young safeties and ended up with very young DB's getting the majority of the snaps...and there you go. There isn't a substitution for experience. Turner, Hill, CTB, Battle....4 guys who have 1, 2, 2, 1 years of experience. Nick Scott didn't work out, and Awuzie just wasn't the same guy after his ACL.

Add in the lack of DL play - and really - it was just an overall rough year for the defense. That back end needs time. This year, despite the issues, was a very good year. It sets the table for going forward.

Now, get Reader, or another NT - and shore up that 3-tech spot next to him - and add a veteran backup at DB and S - and I think you see the defense make a big jump next year.

KC's biggest issue was they ended up getting NOTHING from the WR corp, and while Kelce was still very good - I think we saw him start to take a step back. They will focus on WR in F/A and/or in the Draft. They will work to get that offense back to what it was.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shoots, I would trade higgins for Donald. we have other WRs

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the bengals are going to rely more on Andrei Iosivas and Charlie Jones this fall.

rookie wide receivers don't always make a huge impact their first year unless they are drafted really high like chase (an exception would be higgins)
for example: chad johnson had 28 receptions his first season, but aj green was drafted to make an immediate impact and did much better his first year. (65 rec)

Tyler Boyds break out year was year 3

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree I like those 2 new kids a lot. We'll see but I love that draft. A healthy Burrow will be nice again

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Evans re-signs with Tampa. The asking price for a Tee trade is going to be too high for anyone to meet - Just not a lot of established receivers out there. I think the Bengals keep him.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Evans re-signs with Tampa. The asking price for a Tee trade is going to be too high for anyone to meet - Just not a lot of established receivers out there. I think the Bengals keep him.
We are keeping Tee. Front office is not being vague about anything. They are basically saying, don't bother asking, we are not going to trade him regardless of offering amount. Now granted, if someone was completely stupid, they may ponder it, but teams are not going to be stupid over a WR that has some injury history regardless how good he is.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are keeping Tee. Front office is not being vague about anything. They are basically saying, don't bother asking, we are not going to trade him regardless of offering amount. Now granted, if someone was completely stupid, they may ponder it, but teams are not going to be stupid over a WR that has some injury history regardless how good he is.
Meh..... Not sure you can take much from a press conference, but Duke's comments about Tee this year were much more open than they were last year. I think they'd trade with anyone offering a first, but I think you're right that nobody is offering a first.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh..... Not sure you can take much from a press conference, but Duke's comments about Tee this year were much more open than they were last year. I think they'd trade with anyone offering a first, but I think you're right that nobody is offering a first.
I am not really sure about that. Of course I can't confirm it. I think there is a team out there with a lower first willing to trade it, but I really don't think the Bengals front office is listening. I think they made the asking price so ridiculous that no one is willing to negotiate, because they don't want to really entertain the idea of trading him, unless someone starts with a ridiculous offer.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think - if you can get a 1st....depending on where it is...maybe even a swap of 1st with a 2nd/3rd thrown in....you'd take that this year.

Then again - maybe not. If they are well positioned, why swap a 1st when you can just draft a WR? But - teams do crazy things.

I mean, the sure/safe bet is that Higgins is in Cincinnati this year...but I won't rule out some team not getting what they want and being willing to swap places with an additional pick thrown in to get a WR if they feel they really need one.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe our posture on trading Higgins is that we're not going to be chumps and trade him for a 3rd round pick or something stupid. if you want quality, you have to give quality.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think - if you can get a 1st....depending on where it is...maybe even a swap of 1st with a 2nd/3rd thrown in....you'd take that this year.

Then again - maybe not. If they are well positioned, why swap a 1st when you can just draft a WR? But - teams do crazy things.

I mean, the sure/safe bet is that Higgins is in Cincinnati this year...but I won't rule out some team not getting what they want and being willing to swap places with an additional pick thrown in to get a WR if they feel they really need one.
The more I think about it, the more I think they'll consider tagging him again next year. Particularly if the cap jumps again. 120% of his salary this year will only be equivalent to the per season deal that Mike Evans just signed to stay in Tampa. As good as Evans is, he is on the back end of his career and Tee should and would get a better deal on the open market. This is all to say that he would be a bargain at 25 million..... I also don't think he'd play here. But, maybe next year you tag him and are willing to take a 2nd or even high 3rd.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, the more I think they'll consider tagging him again next year. Particularly if the cap jumps again. 120% of his salary this year will only be equivalent to the per season deal that Mike Evans just signed to stay in Tampa. As good as Evans is, he is on the back end of his career and Tee should and would get a better deal on the open market. This is all to say that he would be a bargain at 25 million..... I also don't think he'd play here. But, maybe next year you tag him and are willing to take a 2nd or even high 3rd.
Agreed.

You hold out this year for what you can get (Kings ransom) knowing he's going to play.

Next year you tag, and you take what you can get because he's likely sitting out - helping no one.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

You hold out this year for what you can get (Kings ransom) knowing he's going to play.

Next year you tag, and you take what you can get because he's likely sitting out - helping no one.
I also like this strategy against his current agent. It seems that a lot of these guys aren't looking to seriously deal two years before their contract is up. To me, that is still the best case scenario for players and teams. Teams lock guys up at a slightly discounted rate. Players make real money a full year in advance and many will then become eligible for a third deal years before they turn 30. Agents don't like it because they can't flash the guaranteed money or the next big contract. If they aren't serious about getting their clients a good deal before FA, I'm inclined to use whatever devices available - Even if that means a second tag.