• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey Texas how's that Tom Herman hire working out!!!

TechRaiderRider

Wreck Em!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
theyre showing the replay on LHN,
if anyone wants to enjoy it again -
early in the 3rd now

TechRaiderRider

Wreck Em!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow - just noticed -
with less than 3min,
ut on 3rd & 3 inside our 40,
leading by 3
the announcer said:
this could be the ball game -
what a great job of fore-shadowing -

wreck em!!

8085sooner

Homeboard Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
theyre showing the replay on LHN,
if anyone wants to enjoy it again -
early in the 3rd now

So you're the 1 subscriber to the LHN. I thought they were like unicorns, just a myth.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, we're going to be even WORSE next year.

We lose too much and we don't have the depth to support the losses. Between graduation and attrition we may be looking at a 3-5 win season.

Herman is on thin ice already.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We lose too much and we don't have the depth to support the losses. Between graduation and attrition we may be looking at a 3-5 win season.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Star, I respect your opinion but I just don't see it the same way you do. First of all, Texas does have talent. It's just been poorly coached and the recruiting has been focused on the wrong places. Second, Herman isn't a total idiot and he will figure out what needs to be corrected. He also will have time over the off season to tweak the roster (plus sign more good recruits) which usually makes the greatest improvement in a program that has some good players to start with. You aren't at the same level as OU right now but look at the conference objectively; you have a decent chance of ending up 3rd next year and if that happens Texas will be recovering the way you expected. It's a process. Firing Tim Beck's dimpled ass would help too but who knows what will happen there.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Firing Tim Beck's dimpled ass would help too but who knows what will happen there.

How do you know he has a dimpled ass.....
giphy.gif

8085sooner

Homeboard Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some notes on players leaving, per Inside Texas.

-OL Connor Williams will not play in the bowl game and focus on going pro.

-LB Malik Jefferson, CB Holton Hill, S DeShon Elliott and DE Charles Omenihu want to go pro. Only Omenihu has a solid chance of returning.

-OL Jake McMillon, OL Terrell Cuney, OL Garrett Thomas and OL Alex Anderson will not use their final year of eligbility and move on.

-LB Edwin Freeman is contemplating retirement.

-they're hearing three likely to transfer are RB Chris Warren, WR Devin Duvernay and CB Donovan Duvernay.

-lastly, there is a player mentioned that would be "a very bad loss", but they can't publish the name right now.

That's a lot of Lineman to quit the last 2 years

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some notes on players leaving, per Inside Texas.

-OL Connor Williams will not play in the bowl game and focus on going pro.

-LB Malik Jefferson, CB Holton Hill, S DeShon Elliott and DE Charles Omenihu want to go pro. Only Omenihu has a solid chance of returning.

-OL Jake McMillon, OL Terrell Cuney, OL Garrett Thomas and OL Alex Anderson will not use their final year of eligbility and move on.

-LB Edwin Freeman is contemplating retirement.

-they're hearing three likely to transfer are RB Chris Warren, WR Devin Duvernay and CB Donovan Duvernay.

-lastly, there is a player mentioned that would be "a very bad loss", but they can't publish the name right now.

That's a lot of Lineman to quit the last 2 years
They do have a really good recruiting class if they can hold on to them, but that is a lot of turnover regardless.
Thought Duvernay really had a chance to be elite early on. I get UT constantly wants to rotate WR's, but it seems like they do it almost too much in some games.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are losing the group of "TALENT" that got us (6-7), (5-7), (5-7), (6-6)
How on earth can Texas ever recover losing that group of talented winners??

There was some talent finally in 2016, but the overall talent has been bad for a few years.
2016 was the most talented in years, but it was still light years away from what Texas should recruit. It was more experienced players that actual raw talent.

Texas has not had an elite recruiting class in over 7 years.
Middling classes ranked in the teens (with the brand name recognition bump) has been the norm for a few years.
Coaching change transfers + Charlie Strong purges have furthered diluted those middling classes.

Herman has a chance to land a true elite class in the top 5 and end the recruiting apathy.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy's and Joe's are more important than X's and O's with big time football. Greg fucking Davis won assistant of the year one year and was in the running others.

It's hard for me to take you serious when you claim to want Art Briles dirty ass to run the program. Fuck that.

Oh please, Ohio State hired Schiano as their DC and he knew all about Sandusky's shit. tOSU is playing for a conference title and has a shot at the playoff.
Here is some interesting info for my fellow UT fans to chew on. I think our problems are a combination of reduced talent and inferior coaching since the best years of the Mack Brown era.

I'll list who each coordinator was and how the unit performed by efficiency rating.

2005 Offense Greg Davis 92.0 Defense Gene Chizik 85.0
2006 Offense Greg Davis 72.9 Defense Gene Chizik 71.5
2007 Offense Greg Davis 67.3 Defense Duane Akina 64.5
2008 Offense Greg Davis 89.0 Defense Will Muschamp 77.6
2009 Offense Greg Davis 67.4 Defense Will Muschamp 89.1
2010 Offense Greg Davis 28.5 Defense Will Muschamp 69.6
2011 Offense Bryan Harsin 44.7 Defense Manny Diaz 81.9
2012 Offense Bryan Harsin 76.4 Defense Manny Diaz 58.7
2013 Offense Major Applewhite 54.9 Defense Greg Robinson 70.2
2014 Offense Shawn Watson 33.5 Defense Vance Bedford 81.9
2015 Offense Jay Norvell 41.6 Defense Vance Bedford 66.0
2016 Offense Sterlin Gilbert 48.4 Defense Vance Bedford 61.2
2017 Offense Tim Beck 36.8 Defense Todd Orlando 85.4

We haven't had a good offense since 2012 which is also the last time we had a competent QB (David Ash pre-concussions).

The worst defense we have fielded (2012 under Diaz) was better from an efficiency standpoint than any offense since our 2009 NCG season outside of that one Harsin offense in 2012.

Lack of QB and OL are the reason for all our problems in my eyes. It's really that simple. I do agree with all of you that even from the beginning Beck and Warehime were the biggest meh hires Herman made. But hell, it's more than that, Wickline couldn't do shit with our OL either.

What I do take hope in is that Todd Orlando put out a championship quality defense this year. It's the best defense we've had since the 2009 Muschamp squad. Problem is the offense was the worst since 2010 and 2014 which were also historically bad.

So maybe Beck needs to go on principle, but I still think Herman is running his offense so it doesn't really matter who we bring in.

By far without a doubt, no questions asked, it's been 80% bad coaching and 20% inferior talent. The talent that has been here was at least good enough to win 7-8 games and not have 4 losing seasons in a row (yes, we'll lose the bowl game b/c of Tim Beck). Give Gary Patterson the same team the last 4 years and we don't lose more than 3 games, GUARANFUCKINGTEED......

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the Aggie QBs that transfered out went on to brilliant college careers.
Kenny Hill did ok but nothing to write home about.
Kyle Allen couldn't keep the starting job at Houston.
But Kyler is going to compete for a Hesiman next year?
Yes Sumlin screwed up the QB situation a couple years ago and that is part of the reason he is gone.

Why not? OU QB's are machines in that system. I've said all along Mayfield is a product of OU's system and more than likely doesn't start for any other team in the country, except at Texas b/c we have shit at the QB position. Landry put up astronomical numbers in that same system, as did Bradford. Murray will not miss a beat as well, or whomever takes over next year in Norman.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that is killing texas is that texas high school talent isn't what it once was.

HUH? The talent in Texas is just fine. Your Sooners and Okie jr would be battling KU for the basement if it wasn't for Texas high school talent. No, the difference is the coaching. OU and Okie jr have excellent coaching, no doubt. Texas has had below average coaching for 4 years straight. Gary Patterson is doing just fine at TCU with a 98% Texan roster. The talent in this state is still elite and some of the best in the country. The coaching on the other hand is some of the worst in the country, outside of Fort Worth that is.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh please, Ohio State hired Schiano as their DC and he knew all about Sandusky's shit. tOSU is playing for a conference title and has a shot at the playoff.

By far without a doubt, no questions asked, it's been 80% bad coaching and 20% inferior talent. The talent that has been here was at least good enough to win 7-8 games and not have 4 losing seasons in a row (yes, we'll lose the bowl game b/c of Tim Beck). Give Gary Patterson the same team the last 4 years and we don't lose more than 3 games, GUARANFUCKINGTEED......

I don't doubt Briles could win at Texas, however, I don't particularly desire a Texas University spend millions on a guy basically running a criminal enterprise. Look at what Josh Gordon admitted today. Dude was selling 6 lbs of weed a week at Baylor. Briles is a dirty mother fucker. Fuck him. One or two kids like that, you chalk it up as the kids making bad choices, it's an epidemic with Briles players though. All the while Briles played the I'm a Christian angle.

Not to mention, it's personal with him for me. Way back in the 90's when he was at Stephenville, I had a friend move there. He screwed that kid up for life. Pumped him so full of steroids as a teenager it wasn't funny. Turned the kid from a 180 lb WR to a 230 lb FB/DL in one offseason. I've never said that on this website before, because I guess that was just "normal" back then at some places. I think it's pathetic to do that to high school kids.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think we are finding something out about the Charlie Strong kids. He was like a cult of personality with them. They loved that guy and have no desire to play for UT now that he was gone. The rumblings of all the people leaving early for the NFL (even with draft grades that are subpar) and transferring is humbling. Herman is gonna have to coach for his life next year. I'm not all that worried about next year, I think we still have plenty coming back to make a bowl, 2019 though? We got nothing but whatever underclassmen Herman brings in. Sucks...

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There was some talent finally in 2016, but the overall talent has been bad for a few years.
2016 was the most talented in years, but it was still light years away from what Texas should recruit. It was more experienced players that actual raw talent.

Middling classes ranked in the teens (with the brand name recognition bump) has been the norm for a few years.
Coaching change transfers + Charlie Strong purges have furthered diluted those middling classes.

Herman has a chance to land a true elite class in the top 5 and end the recruiting apathy.

I agree his upcoming class is absolutely loaded with skill position players, but up front they are lacking. On top of that, we've got 2 or 3 lineman that started games this year just quitting football. WTF

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HUH? The talent in Texas is just fine. Your Sooners and Okie jr would be battling KU for the basement if it wasn't for Texas high school talent. No, the difference is the coaching. OU and Okie jr have excellent coaching, no doubt. Texas has had below average coaching for 4 years straight. Gary Patterson is doing just fine at TCU with a 98% Texan roster. The talent in this state is still elite and some of the best in the country. The coaching on the other hand is some of the worst in the country, outside of Fort Worth that is.

Coach bro has also shown he can take some no name QB nobody else wanted and develop them. If only he could consistently field a defense, he might actually have a regular bowl team in Lubbock. Coaching matters, but also recruiting the right kids does too.

Herman is a hard ass and a dick. Charlie's kids preferred a players coach obviously. They are bailing like rats off the titanic. Charlie was a stickler for rules, but he wasn't an asshole. Herman is an asshole. Like Saban but without the skins on the wall. You can put up with a hard ass if he's winning games and putting people in the NFL. Not so much at 6-6.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? OU QB's are machines in that system. I've said all along Mayfield is a product of OU's system and more than likely doesn't start for any other team in the country, except at Texas b/c we have shit at the QB position. Landry put up astronomical numbers in that same system, as did Bradford. Murray will not miss a beat as well, or whomever takes over next year in Norman.

Lmfao.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hermans greatest selling point will be "Hey, do you want to play for Texas? How about play next year?" With the kids herman is losing and the already thin depth at key positions he won't be recruiting a kid who is used to be THE guy in HS to come sit on the bench for at least one year. He can offer national exposure to a kid in 2018. Even if that kid ends up losing out, he at least has the chance to start and not to sit behind an incumbent stud that will block you for years to come.