• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey Shark!

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious about the pre-draft grades given to both Griff and MM I did a quick search. I didn't really find any numerical comparisons but I did find this review of Griffin:

His intangibles are making so many general managers swoon. Griffin, because of his athletic ability and Joe Montana-like ability to extend plays and remain focused on moving the ball downfield, not to mention his hurdling ability, could stand to be the better physical prospect than presumed No. 1 pick Andrew Luck.

He drops back with absolute ease. He is able to feel comfortable enough in the pocket to step into a throw in traffic or reset outside the pocket. At this point, unlike Luck, he can also move the ball downfield with his feet.... a guy who can make all the smart throws first and create later if necessary.

He anticipates plays so well and is able to react to a point where he should be able to avoid big hits, even at the NFL level.

http://www.nfl.com/d... iii?id=2533033

I mean the guy was a can't miss right?

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Sharks point has always been pretty consistent: that we gave up too much for Griffin, not that Griffin was a bad pick otherwise.

The ensuing drama just made it that much worse in his eyes.

Course that's just my take.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't here when he was picked, just saw Shark's posts about him this year. I still would not have changed any of my posts on Griff right up to the week following the Vikes game. I mean he didn't play that badly in that game and most of the fans acted as if he was playing like Blaine Gabbert. But all that went out the window with the Tampa and Niners game when the guy I was supporting turned into a clueless chicken shit.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So nobody found those pre-draft reports on Griffin vs Luck interesting given what we know now? I'm sorry, I'll try to do better next time.

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny because that description was exactly what he was before his injury...it's since his injury that we have been graced with RG1.5...

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So nobody found those pre-draft reports on Griffin vs Luck interesting given what we know now? I'm sorry, I'll try to do better next time.

I'm not sure what is so interesting about them? They were wrong. Not so much about Robert's physical gifts, but more about his mental makeup. The guy turned out to be a self centered diva that thinks he knows it all and is resistant to coaching.

I still maintain that robert has the physical tools to be successful. Where he is lacking is on the maturity and mental side (not withstanding the injury risk issue).

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what is so interesting about them? They were wrong. Not so much about Robert's physical gifts, but more about his mental makeup. The guy turned out to be a self centered diva that thinks he knows it all and is resistant to coaching.

I still maintain that robert has the physical tools to be successful. Where he is lacking is on the maturity and mental side (not withstanding the injury risk issue).

To be fair they didnt mention anything about his mental makeup in that excerpt. It was pretty much all physical tools. But i get your point. Honestly though he was everything that description claimed he was...for 12 games.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair they didnt mention anything about his mental makeup in that excerpt. It was pretty much all physical tools. But i get your point. Honestly though he was everything that description claimed he was...for 12 games.
He was. In the same basic offense he ran in college. Where he ran into trouble was when he thought (and demanded) he was capable of being a different type of QB without proper tutledge. He assumed he could just become a pocket passer overnight by being the best athlete on the field. Again, arrogance and maturity.

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was. In the same basic offense he ran in college. Where he ran into trouble was when he thought (and demanded) he was capable of being a different type of QB without proper tutledge. He assumed he could just become a pocket passer overnight by being the best athlete on the field. Again, arrogance and maturity.

Can't argue that...but isn't a good coach one that caters his offense to his talents....wait...did I just call Shanahan good? Because I sure as hell don't think that....mind...blown...

I just wish Jay would cater his O a little bit more to his talents...instead of trying to make him something he isn't. It would be nice to have a balance of both styles...guess it's easier said than done..

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't argue that...but isn't a good coach one that caters his offense to his talents....wait...did I just call Shanahan good? Because I sure as hell don't think that....mind...blown...

I just wish Jay would cater his O a little bit more to his talents...instead of trying to make him something he isn't. It would be nice to have a balance of both styles...guess it's easier said than done..
Obi, your missing one critical component. Robert him self was the one that demanded the offense change away from taking advantage of his unique skill set.

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obi, your missing one critical component. Robert him self was the one that demanded the offense change away from taking advantage of his unique skill set.

He was against the pistol specifically wasn't he? I'm not suggesting we go back to the pistol...just a catered offense designed to find a even keel between pocket and mobile QB. I would think he would be ok with a offense that catered to his speed and scrambling that didnt involve gimmick college sets...I would think...maybe im wrong.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must have missed this thread initially because I was off the grid Tuesday.

But as Cali mentioned I thought we gave up entirely too much.. basically for the wrong guy. At the time i said we were giving up what i would expect to give for Peyton Mannings clone, sadly we got Mike Vick without the dogs. Now being the child of two military people, I did not expect that he might be a complete narcissist on top of some one lacking the Skills to be what we actually needed.

Side note many around here that were there at the time will tell you I wanted us to stay put and take Tannehill at #6. I thought the RG3 trade would cripple this team, and basically I was right.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap penalty the night before FA after the Griff trade was a big part of the story as well.