• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey SCar fans! Are things really that bad...

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be alright, I always keep a spare pair of t-baggin britches in my truck.

Eltexan says your nuts will always have a place to rest as long as he's alive

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
back to football guys (well, you know, I think)

why CANT South Carolina be successful? Why CANT they be a sleeping giant? Why CANT they recruit the hell out of the Carolinas, Georgia and Alabama?

Just curious.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

why CANT South Carolina be successful? Why CANT they be a sleeping giant? Why CANT they recruit the hell out of the Carolinas, Georgia and Alabama?

Just curious.

There is LOTS of talent in the state. Aside from Louisiana, no other state has as many NFL players per capita as South Carolina does. If there were only ONE large, D-1-A state school, they could rake in all the big time in-state recruits like LSU, or Nebraska.

But for years, the best of the best talent in state got picked up by one of the bluebloods in either the SEC or some other big program. Holtz used to do it regularly when he was at Notre Dame.

And, as mentioned, Clemson eats up at least half of the good in-state pool every year. Just way too much competition, and many of those other schools have better historical records than the Gamecocks. If you're 17, 18, and you have dreams of playing in the NFL, then an out-of-state coach with a championship ring comes in and tells you, "you'll be on TV a lot more if you sign with us..." well, I'd expect you to go out of state, myself.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally like the old-time ones that work with a crank.
Gotta be careful with those, my grandfathers backfired one time and broke his pinky. He couldn't drink tea for a week.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with both these sentiments; unless someone can come in and shut down Clemson's recruiting in the states of SC, GA, and FL (which not even Spurrier came close to doing) and given the fact SCar couldn't get to Atlanta more than once when UF and Tennessee were down doesn't bode well for the future.

The standard critique of the program is that there's not enough in-state talent for a top-flight program. Dabo's success is proof we should be able to recruit here. Problem is, then we have to go out and play an SEC schedule.

The best thing we could do now is beat the Taters in 2 weeks, as this would stand as a sort of ultimate proof-of-concept: the last-place team in the SEC East would have defeated the two division champions in the ACC.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with both these sentiments; unless someone can come in and shut down Clemson's recruiting in the states of SC, GA, and FL (which not even Spurrier came close to doing) and given the fact SCar couldn't get to Atlanta more than once when UF and Tennessee were down doesn't bode well for the future.

Not sure other than the possible money he'd get at SCar that he'd have a better shot at getting into the playoff than he does at MSU :noidea:

THIS

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just curious.
They can, we just need someone who is going to bust his ass, and have a staff around him who does the same. What happened at USC was we had a zealous young recruiter, Shane Beamer, who left to work with his father. SOS decided to replace him with Steve Jr as recruiting coordinator. The guy admitted he "didn't like talking on the phone a lot", and was lackadaisical in general. Spurrier also hired some guys who were friends of (Alonzo) Ward's, as position coaches, and their showings have been less-than-spectacular as well. A Cleaning Of House is in order.

This is a good article on what happened: Commentary: How the USC program got away from Steve Spurrier

Basically, because of this lackluster effort, USC didn't capitalize on three straight top 10 finishes.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is LOTS of talent in the state. Aside from Louisiana, no other state has as many NFL players per capita as South Carolina does. If there were only ONE large, D-1-A state school, they could rake in all the big time in-state recruits like LSU, or Nebraska.

But for years, the best of the best talent in state got picked up by one of the bluebloods in either the SEC or some other big program. Holtz used to do it regularly when he was at Notre Dame.

And, as mentioned, Clemson eats up at least half of the good in-state pool every year. Just way too much competition, and many of those other schools have better historical records than the Gamecocks. If you're 17, 18, and you have dreams of playing in the NFL, then an out-of-state coach with a championship ring comes in and tells you, "you'll be on TV a lot more if you sign with us..." well, I'd expect you to go out of state, myself.

Since they are in the 'SEC', they should be able to leverage that in recruiting, and not only keep a higher percentage of players (SEC vs ACC) but also pull in some from outside the state but within the region, such as the fertile Virginia area.

This is what Texas A&M has done in Texas: they use the 'SEC' flag and push that point hard, especially against Texas, TCU and Baylor.

I'm not sure how much overall that helps? But I do know a couple big time Texas recruits who've been told by their families/fathers/mentors that the best football is in the SEC so why go elsewhere?

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The standard critique of the program is that there's not enough in-state talent for a top-flight program. Dabo's success is proof we should be able to recruit here. Problem is, then we have to go out and play an SEC schedule.

The best thing we could do now is beat the Taters in 2 weeks, as this would stand as a sort of ultimate proof-of-concept: the last-place team in the SEC East would have defeated the two division champions in the ACC.

Exactly right; the in-state talent is highly variable from year to year with respect to the top tier guise and the overall depth of high-level D1 prospects. The only reason Clemson has had a run of success has been the ability to identify, recruit, and develop talent from Georgia and Florida (although Daniel has churned out Hopkins, Shaq Lawson, and a few other talented players). Relying heavily on in-state players is not enough to compete in a P5 conference.