• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey guys, remember when TCU missed the playoff because they didn't play a championship game?

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa didnt need that FCS like so many other teams...

I guess thats another difference.

Nope they didn't...but they did need Illinois. which like ULM is not a FCS team and like Illinois is not very good. In fact, Massey Composite ranks ULM at 113 and Illinois at 111. At least ULM has the excuse that they are a G5 team.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope they didn't...but they did need Illinois. which like ULM is not a FCS team and like Illinois is not very good. In fact, Massey Composite ranks ULM at 113 and Illinois at 111. At least ULM has the excuse that they are a G5 team.
That's wrong the Buckeye win put Iowa at 6 wins. They got a 7th from Nebraska. See so they didn't need Illinois.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not worth Bama's cupcake schedule

Well, congratulations on being the reason the Big10 was shut out in the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, congratulations on being the reason the Big10 was shut out in the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row.
I'm ok with that. B1G good through Columbus.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The BCS included polls (AP, USA Today Coaches' and the now defunct Harris Poll) and a computer-based composite.

They diminished the computer-based composite impact on the BCS results as they wanted more "eye tests" rather than statistical data. The computers also were more susceptible to score "run ups", which in my opinion is as measurable a metric as any and shouldn't be downplayed any more than any other metric.

Most proprietors of computer-based ranking systems have really leaned toward a more defensive-centric method of ranking since. :think:
I've always thought voters in polls followed the herd mentality too much. That and they based their rankings too much on history, perception, etc instead of actual on field performance. That is just my opinion. Others loved polls and popularity contests.

Them thar "purdy girls" like the voting aspect of a beauty contest. That way they can look like a dollar and play like a dime.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither did TCU, they lost on some bullshit calls IN Baylor.
That is historically accurate right there.

Getting left out was probably the best thing to happen to TCU. Unlike whiny ass Briles, TCU just kept their yappers shut and proceeded to kick the ever loving shit out of the highly overrated SEC representative Ole Miss.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The flaw in your logic is that not all P5 Conferences are equal.

That being said, a 1 loss conference champion from the B1G or Pac-12 would have gotten in over Bama this year, but there wasn't any. I would agree that should be the case.

It doesn't matter if they're equal or not, the qualifier is the same for ALL teams.

You think divisions in the NFL are all equal? How about the NBA? Hell ANY league with a real playoff system?

You establish rules that ALL teams have to live by. That's the ONLY way to do it right and fairly.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the biggest flaw here is rewarding teams for not playing and sitting at home during conference championship week.

And you know, Bama getting in would have made some logical sense from a certain standpoint if the committee had ranked Alabama above Wisconsin the week before conference championship week. At least then they're saying that they believed Alabama was better but there was still the possibility that Wisconsin could win their way in.

But no, they put Wisconsin ahead of Bama in week 14. So essentially they're saying "Sorry Badgers, should have just stayed at home and not risked it". They could have easily avoided adding to their list of inconsistencies by just ranking teams in the correct fashion.

It was bad enough knowing the committee was incompetent, but knowing that they're also unintelligent is not a good sign moving forward with this playoff model.

They should never announce the rankings until after the conference championship games.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State didn't get blown out.

Ohio St. got crunched at home 35-21 by a very mediocre Virginia Tech team, then went on a run & beat a pretty darned good Wisconsin team 59-0 in the CCG. That's what got them into the playoffs in 2014. If OSU had beaten Wisconsin 59-0 last weekend, then the Suckeyes probably would have made it into the playoffs again. Fortunately, that didn't happen.

KingKoolKat75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio St. got crunched at home 35-21 by a very mediocre Virginia Tech team, then went on a run & beat a pretty darned good Wisconsin team 59-0 in the CCG. That's what got them into the playoffs in 2014. If OSU had beaten Wisconsin 59-0 last weekend, then the Suckeyes probably would have made it into the playoffs again. Fortunately, that didn't happen.

Even with all the blown call by the refs against Ohio State the Buckeyes were driving for the the touchdown to even the score at 28-28 with 53 seconds left in the game then JT threw a pic 6. I would hardly call in "crunched".

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the cutoff for a blowout on peoples opinion? I keep seeing "OSU got blown out". Ok. If that's a disqualigier then does UGA losing by 23 count ? When OSU lost to LSU in the Natty we heard from SEC fans that it was a blowout so if 14 is a blowout then was Bama blown out this year by Auburn??

Just wondering what the line is that crossed into a "blowout ". I'm not saying OSU didn't get blown out but I'd say OSU in 15 did too, UGA this year did too. There are other examples as well

KingKoolKat75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the cutoff for a blowout on peoples opinion? I keep seeing "OSU got blown out". Ok. If that's a disqualigier then does UGA losing by 23 count ? When OSU lost to LSU in the Natty we heard from SEC fans that it was a blowout so if 14 is a blowout then was Bama blown out this year by Auburn??

Just wondering what the line is that crossed into a "blowout ". I'm not saying OSU didn't get blown out but I'd say OSU in 15 did too, UGA this year did too. There are other examples as well

To me a blowout is a team that is not in the game during the 4th quarter.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call a 14-point when a blow-out, necessarily, but it's still a pretty solid beat down. Georgia's loss to Auburn earlier this year was definitely a blowout. Alabama's loss to Auburn was a beat down unlike any regular season defeat they have suffered since the 35-21 loss to South Carolina in 2010.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call a 14-point when a blow-out, necessarily, but it's still a pretty solid beat down. Georgia's loss to Auburn earlier this year was definitely a blowout. Alabama's loss to Auburn was a beat down unlike any regular season defeat they have suffered since the 35-21 loss to South Carolina in 2010.

To say it was a solid beat down is incorrect. It was a 7 point game before a pick 6 in the 4th quarter. Also the total yards was Ohio State 327 & VT 324. That's not a beat down.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To say it was a solid beat down is incorrect. It was a 7 point game before a pick 6 in the 4th quarter. Also the total yards was Ohio State 327 & VT 324. That's not a beat down.
On the flip side Iowa outgained OSU by 110 yards where Auburn outgained Bama by 95. Really the only difference in the 2 games was turnovers. I mean we can delve deeper into both games but the reality is that OSU missed the playoff because they had 2 losses instead of 1. The extra loss wasn't the Iowa game, that's a conference game you can't control . The extra loss was the aokpahoma game. My fear is that if we are sending the message that 2 losses is a disqualifier then you're going to start to see teams not schedule quality OOC. I firmly believe that if OSU had scheduled Texas Tech instead of OU they'd be in the playoff this year, even with the Iowa loss. We will see what happens but you're already seeing teams cancel good OOC matchups