• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey guys, remember when TCU missed the playoff because they didn't play a championship game?

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Ohio State did, so they got in over TCU despite getting blown out by a 6-6 team?

College Football Playoff field set but controversy lingers with Ohio State in, TCU snubbed

If the playoff is going to survive, there need to be clear rules. Needing to win your conference should be the first one. Then, apparently, its two losses that are a red line... but watch them break that convention if a 2-loss team wins the SEC.

This is something I remarked on this very board when they created the playoff. The FACT there are no written rules of how to make the playoff is just so they can vote in whoever they want.

Basically, it's the BCS + 1, the polls, all over again.

Conference titles should be the first eliminator......bar none. If you can't win your conference, you can't win the NC.

If they aren't going to matter, they shouldn't be played.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Ohio State did, so they got in over TCU despite getting blown out by a 6-6 team?

College Football Playoff field set but controversy lingers with Ohio State in, TCU snubbed

If the playoff is going to survive, there need to be clear rules. Needing to win your conference should be the first one. Then, apparently, its two losses that are a red line... but watch them break that convention if a 2-loss team wins the SEC.

They didn't win their conference either until the B12 changed their One True Champions rule to try to play cute with the committee.

KingKoolKat75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To go with StarBigD a bit further, I think if a team is undefeated AND won their conference, they should have a chance.

I would have much rather seen UCF instead of Alabama. UCF beat Navy and Maryland which count as Power 5 teams.

The clear message to me is not only do conference championships not matter, but being undefeated and being a Group of 5 team does not matter.

Only Power 5 teams with one loss or less are in.

I do agree with the no two loss teams in though. Penn State 2016, Miami 2017, Ohio State 2017, USC 2017 none of them should be in.

KingKoolKat75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is something I remarked on this very board when they created the playoff. The FACT there are no written rules of how to make the playoff is just so they can vote in whoever they want.

Conference titles should be the first eliminator......bar none. If you can't win your conference, you can't win the NC.

But conferences should have clear rules to ensure the best team wins the conference.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just bc they aren't an auto birth does not mean conference championships don't matter. The PAC is the only conference championship this year that didn't effect the playoff. Every other one had a direct impact so I'm not sure how you can say they don't matter

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To go with StarBigD a bit further, I think if a team is undefeated AND won their conference, they should have a chance.

I would have much rather seen UCF instead of Alabama. UCF beat Navy and Maryland which count as Power 5 teams.

The clear message to me is not only do conference championships not matter, but being undefeated and being a Group of 5 team does not matter.

I do agree with the no two loss teams in though. Penn State 2016, Miami 2017, Ohio State 2017, USC 2017 none of them should be in.

How does Navy count as a P5 when they are in a G5 conference? If Auburn beat Georgia in the CCG then they absolutely deserved to be in the playoff. Ohio State could have had an arguement had they blown Wisconsin out. You want to see big time OOC games go away? Then make a rule where two loss teams can't get in. Cause the risk far outweighs the reward.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the playoffs are going to survive what? Being a huge ratings and monetary success? You think a little controversy is going to sink the ship? How cute.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The playoff want people like you to hype their games. All this whining creates more interest and conversation as we wait for weeks. They play you like a fiddle.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh just shut the fuck up and watch the games

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are retards... scheduling great OOC opponents is a reward, win or loss. Oklahoma isn't the reason Ohio State didn't make it. Iowa is. They lost by 31 points to Iowa. That's not something you can just give an excuse for when you have more 5 stars on the OL than the other team has in totality. Ohio State was #2 in the AP Poll before the Iowa loss... had they won, the B1G title game would have been a play in. The 4 best teams are in the Playoff.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, thank you. If it wasn't for Wisconsin bending over and taking it up the tailpipe then TCU wouldn't have gotten snubbed for Ohio State

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But conferences should have clear rules to ensure the best team wins the conference.

they do.

If we're going to have playoffs, there has to be CLEAR CUT eliminator rules. This is not something we should be basing on who we THINK is the better team.......when there are results on the field.

NOBODY complains about New England pretty much having a free pass to the playoffs every year because they play in one of the worst divisions in football. NOBODY complained when the 49ers did the same throughout the 80s.

Win your conference FIRST. Then you have a shot to PROVE you're the best team.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they do.

If we're going to have playoffs, there has to be CLEAR CUT eliminator rules. This is not something we should be basing on who we THINK is the better team.......when there are results on the field.

NOBODY complains about New England pretty much having a free pass to the playoffs every year because they play in one of the worst divisions in football. NOBODY complained when the 49ers did the same throughout the 80s.

Win your conference FIRST. Then you have a shot to PROVE you're the best team.

Can't compare college to the NFL. There are almost as many teams in two P5 conference as the whole entire NFL and then they put in 12 teams to boot. Little easier to make clear cut rules in that scenario

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sweet. So A&M just needs to ditch the SEC to move to a lesser conference they can steamroll. Then schedule weak P5 teams to build the OOC resume and instant birth in the playoffs every year. :yes:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just expand it to 6-8 and include all the P5 champions. It legitimizes winning a CFBNC imo.

As it sits now, not so much.

6 is the key. Bye for 1&2, extends playoffs a week, gives all P5 champs a birth, and allows one at large for a G5 or Bama.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bottom line is we have 3 worthy teams this year, and had to settle on a 4th. Yes, Bama has no quality wins, but it was either them or a 2 loss Ohio state team that got blown out by Iowa.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just expand it to 6-8 and include all the P5 champions. It legitimizes winning a CFBNC imo.

As it sits now, not so much.

If they expand, it should be to 8. Then you can still have your conference champs in but it leaves space for those couple teams that may play in a better conference and lost the wrong game.

Reactions: GNG