• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Hero's @ Zero's 2014 edition

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. So I know theres a chance for the upset.

But here is the singular thing that irritates me the most in this game. Saw it with 4 years from sark and before him as well. It's the price we pay for not hiring a UW man so to speak.

"Do I understand the rivalry as a native Oregonian? Absolutely," Helfrich said. "I know the history of that very well and what it means to our fans."

Echoed Petersen, "I know about the Oregon-Washington stuff, but that’s not my focus, getting them fired up. To me, this needs to be about us."

See the difference?

Oregon has been better about getting up for this game. We've gone through a host of coaches who just don't get what it means to the fans.

It brings extra effort when you preach this stuff to the kids. Thats what UW has been lacking during this ridiculous streak.

Now, I understand Coach Pete has his own way of dealing with Oregone, and he's been good at it.

But c'mon coach. You preach about buying in. Well now the tables are turned. You need to buy into this game and it's history and get your players to do the same. Understand what it means to the fans like duckberg coaches have done...

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's some more on being mentally prepared. We're all aware by now that after the duckwads lost to Arizona for the seond straight year, at home this time around that the duck coaches immediately tried to cover for Marsha by saying he was injured. Well I present to you the proper mentality in that case;

They shouldn't be out there if they're hurt. If they're out there on the field and are hurt, then I will hurt them more"

Steve Emtman

I don't like seeing stuff like this just before the border war;

“Hey, there’s the king of the Islands,” ~ Kikaha

Theres a lot of other stuff he's said about his admiration of Marsha. Always prefaced with something like "I really hate QB's but in Mariottas case..."

Hate it. Absolutely do.

Get your head in the game and put his dick in the dirt without remorse, all day long.

Up to you Coach Pete to get these guys focused...

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW didn't lose to Oregon 10 straight times because their coaches didn't focus on the rivalry between them. Hedges mishandling of the program from the time she let James retire because she wouldn't support the football team over womens athletics to when she brought Willingham in was where it all went south. She was so bad as to question if she was sabotaging the team on purpose.

It has now taken 5-6 years to start to get back on their feet again and that is happening, but no program turns around from as deep of a whole as that destroyer of programs in a couple of years. You have to keep improving in recruits, go out and win more, which gives you more access to higher recruits. Takes several cycles of that to get as stocked as the better teams in the conference are.

The last thing a coach wants to do is get their kids to stop thinking about the plays and their roles in it and start thinking about rivalries to the point where they try to do more and end up hurting their team.

They just need the starting 22 to go out and do what their coaches ask of them. Nothing more. NOTHING MORE. And nothing less. Just stay in your game and do things as you have prepared to do. See what happens.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last thing a coach wants to do is get their kids to stop thinking about the plays and their roles in it and start thinking about rivalries to the point where they try to do more and end up hurting their team.

Well, you are likely in agreement with the coaches over the losing streak.

I know all about hedges blunders.

My point is Oregon has gotten up for this game more, and I see it every time.

We're about to see it again.

You can't ignore rivalries. You can't treat them like any other game. Even Oregon with their faceless opponent mantra recognizes this rivalry for what it is.

Every big rivalry across the country recognizes it for what it is and it's importance to the fans.

I want to see that again from UW. The coaches.The players. The fans.

Focus on kicking Oregons ass. Not being their friends.

Simple request.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...it's like when Stoops faces an SEC team. His players know his feelings towards the SEC hype, and theyve made mention of it in the media. We know coaches feelings towards the SEC and were going to make a statement.

Theyve said that stuff. Show some passion.

None of this well, they are a good team and we plan on playing well. But we're not into the rivalry stuff.

pffffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttt.

Buy in Coach. Buy in and the players will follow.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, UW has been losing those games because of the massive disparity in talent, plus for a number of those earlier years no one was getting close to Oregon because of that gimmick uptempo stuff. Took a while before everyone else caught up.

Our losing has had nothing to do with how seriously the coaching staff takes the rivalry.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know how many of Willinghams players are in the NFL, the 0-12 squad? I'm not buying the lack of talent argument, especially to a massive degree. The talent was here. Now if you want to say shitty coaches, then yes I agree.

Shitty coaches who don't know how to get the most out of their players.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you believe the talent level of UW during the 0-12 season was on par with Oregon? :scratch:

I'm pretty sure UW didn't lose to Oregon for 10 years simply because the coaches didn't understand the importance of the game to the fans. But I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you believe the talent level of UW during the 0-12 season was on par with Oregon? :scratch:

I'm pretty sure UW didn't lose to Oregon for 10 years simply because the coaches didn't understand the importance of the game to the fans. But I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I never said it was the sole reason. I said it was the one aspect irritating me the most. I said preaching about rivalries helps motivation and could provide extra effort. Thats what I said. You seem to think I'm exclusively saying the losses were all because of that... Don't know why. But you do that sometimes.

But you're right. If you don't think it can be a motivational factor we will have to agree to disagree.

As far as tomorrows game goes I guess they are pretty focused. At least thats what they are saying on twitter...:rollseyes:

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't neg me bros. I come in peace.

I will say Bellotti took that approCh of UW is the hated rival enemy.

Kelly went with the "it's just another faceless opponent" line. Which rustled some Duck fans jimmies. But his results quickly calmed that.

So what Pete said (IMO) is the correct line of thinking.

Enjoy the game tommorrow guys. :suds:

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly went with the "it's just another faceless opponent" line. Which rustled some Duck fans jimmies. But his results quickly calmed that.

Strange how winning has that effect. Coach Pete has his ways, and it's proven successful. Although I don't believe BSU has any rivalry approaching the heat of the border war. I like it when the coach and players get involved in rivalries, I wish he would have said "were gonna kick Oregons ass. Book'it!" But I guess thats just me.

You too. Don't throw any bodily excrements at UW fans. :nono:

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Prediction!

I like getting my predictions out before the game so I can see how wrong I was.

I think the D will come to play. They will play great in the first half and UW might even hold a lead in a low scoring affair. Then the second half starts...

Oregon will make simple adjustments that will stymie Smiths offense and he will have no answer as usual in the 2nd half. We'll score 6 or less. Oregon will wear down the D and pull ahead, way ahead.

UW 20
UO 47

After the game you'll see Kikaha and Marsha having a good laugh at the luau, exchanging jerseys and autographs.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually agree with this. I have no problem with what Petersen said. He knows damn well about the rivalry, but he's trying to instill some discipline into a program that didn't have much. Focusing on the rivalry too much isn't the right way to prepare. He seems to be preaching focus on what you need to do and the rest will take care of itself.

I do however agree that the players need to get over their infatuation with their "friends" on the other side. Talking about how much you admire them all week is also not the right way to prepare.

You enjoy the game too Mamba. Not too much though. I'm hoping we can throw some (metaphorical) shit back in your face tomorrow night.

:suds:

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just so you know 5 of those wins in the streak are Bellotis. 4 are Chips and Helfrich has one.

Care to revise?

Yes it's late. I can't sleep and feel like nit picking.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screw it I'm calling the upset, 17-10 Dawgs, I think the front 7 of the defense is gonna be a huge problem for Oregon's young Oline and they land a few sacks tonight....

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put my prediction in the Pac12 pick'em.

I think UW's defense will be ready and will find some success against their offense. I'm sure Oregon will still have several explosive plays as we still see downs where there are wide open people against that young secondary and Maryhoda will be able to hit those, but UW should be able to limit their running game and get them into punting situations.

I expect the defense and special teams to be responsible for a score or two.

I also expect to see Miles again failing to hit open receivers and worse, completing passes that are too high and/or behind the receiver that takes them out of their stride. They will also likely have limited success running the ball. I doubt there are many turnovers, but lots of punts. As a result, the offense will likely make a score or two and I don't expect much more, with or without having the best athlete on the field that day on that unit (sorry ducks, ross pwns).

Final score: zeros 27 and UW 17

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think UW can have some success running the ball if they commit to it. oregon's defensive front has looked less than impressive this year. I would love to see that game plan, come out and pound the ball. Keep oregon's offense off the field as long as possible, keep the defense fresh. I can't understand why teams' (including our own and excluding Stanford) response to oregon in recent years is to try to keep pace with them. I'm gonna pull my hair out today if that's what we see today.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good morning to the Dawg pack!

:hope: for a nice execution at all three phases today. Give um everything we can and play true Husky football.

Fuck the Yucks. Go Dawgs!!!

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's time to fire Smith and put Williams in.

Nuff said.

Offense is a total and complete joke. Utter embarrassment.