• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Herm Edwards to Arizona State?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is possibly one of the worst coaching hires I've ever seen. He's basically a figure head and has already said he wants to keep all the old staff.....wtf?

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying he could be just like Carroll and have same success but Pete had no college experience when he went to USC....they are both high energy and passionate coaches.

So... Expect major sanctions on ASU in the future is what you're saying?

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind the hire, we're talking Arizona state here. Herm has coached in the under armour game, knows what these high school kids want (to go pro) and has a lot of passion. I bet he'll recruit well, I can see many parents wanting to send their kid to play for him.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that Ray Anderson the AD used to be Edward's agent back in the day.

I'm sorry, but this is the stupidest crap ever. If they hire this guy, I'll consider dropping my season tickets. They need to throw the kitchen sink at Mike Norvell and try to get him to come back. There's a good chance he'd say "no" but they need to do everything they can to try to make it happen.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's about what they said when USC hired Pete.

Pete Carroll went a grand total of 1 year between the Patriots job and the USC job, and actually had a winning record as an NFL HC, and was a lot younger than 63.

Herm Edwards has been out of the game for 10 years, is 20 games under .500 as an NFL HC and is 63 years old.

Not quite the same,and even still, Pete Carroll left USC with a bunch of sanctions their fans say they're still recovering from.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's about what they said when USC hired Pete.

I will argue that with you.

Pete was an NFL coach for 4 years before USC, and and made it to the playoffs twice. Had a record of 33 - 31 over 4 years.

Herm was an NFL coach for 8 years, playoffs 4 times, and had a total record of 54-74.

Pete had college experience at schools like, Arkansas, Iowa State, Ohio State, NC State, before joining USC.

Herm's only college experience was as the San Jose State DB Coach from 87-89.

Before Carroll's move to USC, he had been out of the game for 2 years.

Herm hasn't coached since 2008.

To me, an ASU fan, that is a HUGE difference.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching carousel: Why Herm Edwards to ASU just doesn't make any sense

The overwhelming feeling among athletic administrators, between chuckles, is that this hire will turn into a Lovie Smith Sequel – an out-of-touch NFL coach returning to college for one last pay bump before retirement. And potentially paying more than $11 million as a parting gift to Graham to bring in Edwards is the topper.

Anderson’s comments and expectations were so over-the-top and Pollyanna-ish for a traditionally middling program that the potential looms that he and Edwards will end up eventually caving underneath them.

Why exactly a coach who hasn’t been in college football in three decades would be able to recruit, retain and develop a top-notch staff – at a place that historically can’t pay one – is one of the many curious assertions by Anderson.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,381.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are 2-0 and looking good.

Like Pete Carroll was.....he's perfect for college football IMO.