• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Here's my question...

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a good chunk of the season past and the fact that the Pens are running away with a less than mediocre Metro Division, what have you seen/not seen thus far to make you believe this team can win a tight 7 game playoff series against a top team?

Myself, I see the same team as the last 3 years or so. A lot of skill that bails them out most of the time, but an overall lack of commitment to do the things that win playoff series. I'm not sold this team is any more disciplined in its overall game, the absurd turnovers are still there from the same people, I'm still not convinced the Flower won't pucker again under bigtime pressure, and I just don't see a willingness to do what is needed to win a close series.

Am I nuts?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all have our doubt on how far they could go this season. Just gotta take it 1 game at a time & hope for the best. Hopefully they take their game to the next level in the playoffs instead of in March.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still so far away. Pens have half a schedule to slog through before we even get to the playoffs.

It's funny though how when the top 4 D-man pairs were sidelined that they played some of their best hockey with Despres and the rookies securing the back end. Maybe that speed and youth helps them more than the coach realizes. Watching that game last night against FLA made me notice just how slow guys like Orpik, Scuderi and Martin really are. The young guns on the Panthers skated our D-men in circles all night.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a good chunk of the season past and the fact that the Pens are running away with a less than mediocre Metro Division, what have you seen/not seen thus far to make you believe this team can win a tight 7 game playoff series against a top team?

Myself, I see the same team as the last 3 years or so. A lot of skill that bails them out most of the time, but an overall lack of commitment to do the things that win playoff series. I'm not sold this team is any more disciplined in its overall game, the absurd turnovers are still there from the same people, I'm still not convinced the Flower won't pucker again under bigtime pressure, and I just don't see a willingness to do what is needed to win a close series.

Am I nuts?

Nope, I agree. I see a team that, when fully healthy, just doesn't play defense. When injured they do. Same team that they've had the past few years.

I have hope Fleury will rebound in the playoffs, but one of those we'll have no idea until April comes around.

I'd also see a team that has no identity on the bottom six. A configuration of Glass/Kobesew - Sutter - Megna/Kobesew on the third line is defensive, has some speed, some scoring ability, and physicality, a little of everything. And 4th line of Sill - Vitale - Harry Z is one no one wants to play against, I bet that line would draw more penalties per minute than either of the top two lines.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still so far away. Pens have half a schedule to slog through before we even get to the playoffs.

It's funny though how when the top 4 D-man pairs were sidelined that they played some of their best hockey with Despres and the rookies securing the back end. Maybe that speed and youth helps them more than the coach realizes. Watching that game last night against FLA made me notice just how slow guys like Orpik, Scuderi and Martin really are. The young guns on the Panthers skated our D-men in circles all night.

Yeah, they are supposed to be smart I guess. But I agree, they looked bad recently. Although I think Orpik gets too much crap out in the interwebs, but he has been bad since the concussion. Scuderi and Letang are not a good pair. And Martin looked terrible last night in his first game back.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same old team...and I mean old. Crosby is slumping, and Malkin is a joke. D is pathetic with the old guys back. No zest or fire to win and they will lose by the second round in the playoffs unless they play the isles in the first round. nothing has changed...older, slower and less driven. Fleury looks worse every month.

Not seeing anything but a laize faire attitude. Scuds is pathetic, Oprik can't perform anymore since the concussion, Letang is a joke of a Dman and needs to be a winger. Martin is fine, just needs his game legs under him. Put the youngins back in and stop juggling line structure for Crosby...Gilbert?! please put and keep Pyatt on that line