• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

HELP! I'm Friggin' Lost

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, I'm upgrading my home theater system and I purchased a Yamaha RX V677 yesterday. It's an awesome piece of equipment and is a definite upgrade soundwise. One problem though....I do not want to run the receiver when I'm watching regular TV. I have a Directv HD set top box and I'm running an HDMI cable from the box to the back of my receiver to HDMI2. Then, I run another HDMI cable from the HDMI Out on the back of the receiver to the LG HDTV. My problem: When I turn off the receiver, I cannot get sound and picture from just the set top box. Have any of you set something like this up? Can you pinpoint what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a Sony AVR (and Directv)... and the Sony receiver has to be ON period to pass on the Directv signal to the TV (wired just like your setup). On my newer Samsung TV, I can switch between the receiver (surround sound) and the TV speaker for watching TV. So I would attack your dilemma that way. If your LG TV is older or a low end model, you may not have that functionality. If you don't, you would have to set your volume on the AVR to zero and turn the TV speaker up using the LG remote.

I leave my AVR on and when the TV is off, it goes into standby anyway. I would assume your Yamaha probably will do this too.

These setups are often a clumsy shuffle of remotes to get it to behave the way you want. It sucks, but that's the price you pay for a surround setup.

Last edited:

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a Sony AVR (and Directv)... and the Sony receiver has to be ON period to pass on the Directv signal to the TV (wired just like your setup). On my newer Samsung TV, I can switch between the receiver (surround sound) and the TV speaker for watching TV. So I would attack your dilemma that way. If your LG TV is older or a low end model, you may not have that functionality. If you don't, you would have to set your volume on the AVR to zero and turn the TV speaker up using the LG remote.

I leave my AVR on and when the TV is off, it goes into standby anyway. I would assume your Yamaha probably will do this too.

These setups are often a clumsy shuffle of remotes to get it to behave the way you want. It sucks, but that's the price you pay for a surround setup.
Thanks....I finally found the info in a Yamaha forum and after screwing around with the remote for well over two hours, I finally found the 'standby' command for the receiver that finally allowed me to watch TV through the set top box without having to have the receiver turned on. When I read the reviews for my Yamaha receiver, a big thumbs down was given to the remote and one reviewer said it will teach you a lesson in patience. No kidding!