• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Helmet to Helmet penalties

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, I don't want to go off the rails and blame the call for the recent loss...who knows what would have happened, and the Bengals had a ton of chances to put that game away and pissed the bed. I'm not going to blame the penalty.

That being said - the NFL, and football in general, has to fix this rule. The defenders are getting flagged for going low, and the offensive guy is also lowering their head creating the contact.

This is a penalty that needs to be reviewed (like NCAA targeting) - and needs to be viewed in a manner that allows the defender to make a play, but absolves them of blame if the offensive player also goes low. They have literally taken away every part of the body to make a tackle unless you just come in and stand up/hug tackle every guy - which can never work because of the size differentials between DB's and offensive skill guys at RB, TE, and even some WR's.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, I don't want to go off the rails and blame the call for the recent loss...who knows what would have happened, and the Bengals had a ton of chances to put that game away and pissed the bed. I'm not going to blame the penalty.

That being said - the NFL, and football in general, has to fix this rule. The defenders are getting flagged for going low, and the offensive guy is also lowering their head creating the contact.

This is a penalty that needs to be reviewed (like NCAA targeting) - and needs to be viewed in a manner that allows the defender to make a play, but absolves them of blame if the offensive player also goes low. They have literally taken away every part of the body to make a tackle unless you just come in and stand up/hug tackle every guy - which can never work because of the size differentials between DB's and offensive skill guys at RB, TE, and even some WR's.
Basically what I said in my other post earlier. No idea how game would have turned out but would have liked the opportunity we earned on stopping that drive. I was thinking of that exact same scenario like college ball with targeting. Especially with calls that can change the outcome of a game like it possibly did.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't figure out why it's not reviewable? Seems to me that they could have called it on the field, re-evaluated it on slow-mo and made the proper call.

The Bengals can't use that as the reason they lost, but the fact of the matter is that they were going to have the ball with 3 timeouts, a qb that's done it before and a kicker with a big leg. The 2-minute drill also takes Zac Taylor out of the equation, so we're less likely to run dumb plays..... I would have liked our chances for OT.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The jets player should be fined after it’s reviewed, otherwise it’s all bullshit