• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Headlines away from the track: F1

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is just a matter of time until F-1 and IndyCar will have some version of this car.

_81066502_dsfsdss.jpg

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if two thin superstring bars going from the shell the the top of the intake valve could deflect debris. I would worry about them breaking and injuring the drivers though. I am no engineer. Would a cage be better than a cockpit in event of fire?

Just random thoughts.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don Shumacher Racing went to an enclosed cockpit with his Top Fuel dragsters because of flying debris. That rendition of a closed cockpit by IndyCar raises those very issues 46&2. Too many sharp edges to a enlarged enclosing superstring bar that could fragment and become injuring projectiles. I know tradition is real big but if both series want an enclosed cockpit, enclose it for crying-out-loud. It hasn't affected drag racing and Don Garlits was actually the first to do it back in the mid 70's. It won't affect either series and it will protect lives.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is just a matter of time until F-1 and IndyCar will have some version of this car.

View attachment 23634

GAWD I love driving that thing.

I would be in favor of closing cockpits, but it has to be done the right way. A clear Lexan cover would have done nothing but add sharp projectiles to Justin's crash, and would have likely meant it would have taken longer to get the tourniquet on Hinch which would have gone very badly for him. Plus I worry about heat inside under race conditions. It's not like a LeMans car where there is volume to dissipate heat. F1/Indy cockpits are TINY.

I saw a design that had a "halo" like structure attached to the roll hoop and met the cowl with a single thin piece of carbon fibre. That might work. Can't find a picture right now.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
News discussed in practice this morning:

-Renault is buying Lotus and will make Lotus their new factory team. Red Bull is not impressed.....

-As mentioned above, Hulkenberg re-signs with Force India

-Williams officially re-signs Bottas and Massa (they had Bottas on a team option which they activated)

-Perez expects to re-sign with Force India

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Silly Season will be a bit anticlimactic (at least wrt drivers). My guess for Haas is:

1. Gutierrez

The second seat may be a bit more up int he air. I think Magnussen is the most likely (and he and EG would be a good pair for a 1st year ten). If Button walks away and Magnussen gets his seat back at McLaren, I would guess Rossi (please get him away from Marussia) would be their #1 target and Jean Eric Vergne as the other option.

Even if Rossi doesn't get the ride right away, I think the next 5-7 years we may see a little American infusion in the sport with Rahal, Karam and Newgarden sniffing around (maybe even RHR gives it one last shot if he gets a call).

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newgarden is rumored to be doing a little more than sniffing with Haas.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-Renault is buying Lotus and will make Lotus their new factory team. Red Bull is not impressed.....

Probably even less so with the problems in qualifying.

Newgarden is rumored to be doing a little more than sniffing with Haas.

He would be an awesome choice. Hawksworth too. But with the license requirements is there anyone but like Scott Dixon or Will Power that has the credentials to make the jump?

edit: FIA Super Licence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Graham Rahal is qualified as of this year. Boy would I love THAT.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably even less so with the problems in qualifying.

He would be an awesome choice. Hawksworth too. But with the license requirements is there anyone but like Scott Dixon or Will Power that has the credentials to make the jump?

edit: FIA Super Licence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Graham Rahal is qualified as of this year. Boy would I love THAT.

Outside of Rahal, not yet, (maybe RHR since it is a three year rolling total) but I think both of the other guys (Hawksworth too, good call) have a chance to get there. Is Rahal qualified. Didn't he finish 3rd or 4th in points?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Rahal, not yet, (maybe RHR since it is a three year rolling total) but I think both of the other guys (Hawksworth too, good call) have a chance to get there. Is Rahal qualified. Didn't he finish 3rd or 4th in points?

Yeah, Graham finished 4th. Would have been third if Bourdais hadn't punted him in a double points race.