• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

HDMI/CABLE question

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the tv we had was a projection, i know old school, but it worked, so i didnt pay for HD cable boxes........

Now we got a 50 inch LCD, and the picture looks like crap ...........have the hdmi cable hooked up, but the box is not broadcasting in hd.

1) does it make that big of a difference
2) when i change channels all the differnt channels have different picture sizes........whats up with that, why do they change.......

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless you left something out it appears that you don't have a high def cable box. That puzzles a bit because I don't remember standard def cable boxes having HDMI ports? :noidea:

If you did upgrade to a HD box and you still have issues I would say that you need to check the "source" settings. That should fix most of the disparate frame sizes. If things are going well at this point you can set your "aspect ratio" (screen size) by going to that menu as well. I think the wide screen option is good.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless you left something out it appears that you don't have a high def cable box. That puzzles a bit because I don't remember standard def cable boxes having HDMI ports? :noidea:

If you did upgrade to a HD box and you still have issues I would say that you need to check the "source" settings. That should fix most of the disparate frame sizes. If things are going well at this point you can set your "aspect ratio" (screen size) by going to that menu as well. I think the wide screen option is good.

I have the HD box, verizon however, can turn off the HD from their end, unless you pay for it, so i can hook the hdmi cable in, but it wont run it HDMI............until i call to activate it

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the HD box, verizon however, can turn off the HD from their end, unless you pay for it, so i can hook the hdmi cable in, but it wont run it HDMI............until i call to activate it

You just answered my next question.

If you are not paying for the HD service your HD ready box is useless.

Unfortunately for you HD TVs have to have an HD signal or the pixalation is fubar and you get a picture that looks like it was shot in a blizzard.

Your reception issue is going to cost you money, unfortunately, but the screen size issue will basically fix itself when you upgrade. At that point you will just have to choose between the 16:9 or wide screen aspect. I have to be honest and say that I'm not sure what I use on my 46".

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get a good antenna, and enjoy free HD TV on the over the air stuff like local sports :suds:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just answered my next question.

If you are not paying for the HD service your HD ready box is useless.

Unfortunately for you HD TVs have to have an HD signal or the pixalation is fubar and you get a picture that looks like it was shot in a blizzard.

Your reception issue is going to cost you money, unfortunately, but the screen size issue will basically fix itself when you upgrade. At that point you will just have to choose between the 16:9 or wide screen aspect. I have to be honest and say that I'm not sure what I use on my 46".
so basically, once i get the hd box upgrade, it will be alot better, cause this looks like shat....

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so basically, once i get the hd box upgrade, it will be alot better, cause this looks like shat....

Oh yeah.

Until you shoot a high def signal into an HD TV the picture is going to look like crud. Your TV is literally begging you for information.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah.

Until you shoot a high def signal into an HD TV the picture is going to look like crud. Your TV is literally begging you for information.
ok pheww.........i was gonna say this didnt look like this in the store..........

thanks!

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok pheww.........i was gonna say this didnt look like this in the store..........thanks!

I also just checked my aspect ratio settings and my Samsung TV is set to "dynamic" and my Direct TV box is set to 16:9. I mostly watch sports, history/science and a few action/thriller movies and this TV is awesome.

:suds:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well thank you, i will get it fixed in the next few days:suds:

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't need to spend a lot on a cord if you need one. Amazon Basics cords work really well and are likely a lot cheaper than what you'd find at a place like Best Buy.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting the HD settings right can be tricky. Both the cable box and your TV will most likely have their own HD settings.

Take the time to cycle through and check all the settings for both TV and cable box.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so glad that Cox offers HD for free.

When I originally installed my Samsung TV, it took me a while to get the settings right with the cable box. The only thing I hate about HD is the older TV shows & movies that aren't in HD. You end up with a box in the center of your screen instead of the 16:9.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't need to spend a lot on a cord if you need one. Amazon Basics cords work really well and are likely a lot cheaper than what you'd find at a place like Best Buy.
i have the cord already, got it at walgreens for 8 bucks, just gotta get verizon to turn it on

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When I originally installed my Samsung TV, it took me a while to get the settings right with the cable box. The only thing I hate about HD is the older TV shows & movies that aren't in HD. You end up with a box in the center of your screen instead of the 16:9.

thats what i got now

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the tv we had was a projection, i know old school, but it worked, so i didnt pay for HD cable boxes........

Now we got a 50 inch LCD, and the picture looks like crap ...........have the hdmi cable hooked up, but the box is not broadcasting in hd.

1) does it make that big of a difference
2) when i change channels all the differnt channels have different picture sizes........whats up with that, why do they change.......

Looks like you about have it solved...you basically have 2 options to get at least a 780p or better signal...pay for HD service from your cable carrier, or get a roof top or attic HD antenna. That should pull in your big 3, maybe 3 or 4 more channels...if it matters this signal is about as pure as you can get because it has not been diluted like the cable companies signal.

I was of the opinion for a long time that it didn't pay to buy a 1080p TV because there wasn't much programming out in full HD from carriers...you really can't tell a huge difference between 780p and 1080p from 10' away...of course they are starting to phase out 780p sets in the larger screen sizes now.

Hell they even have out 4k TVs.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother...we just switched from DTV to cable about 4 mos ago...with comcast we had to learn all new channels...for the 1st month or two my wife was watching the non-HD channels...I happen to be watching the same show she was and I came into the bedroom and asked...what's wrong with your TV? She says, nothing. I said the picture looks terrible...what channel are you watching? Channel 4...oh...that explains it...try 432 the HD version...huge awakening! lol.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thats what i got now

Most TVs will handle standard-def feeds in one of two ways: It’ll display it at its native resolution in 4:3 aspect ratio, right smack-dab in the middle of the screen, which is what you're seeing. Or you can enable “Zoom,” “Full Screen,” or “Stretch” mode, where it stretches the 4:3 footage to 16:9, filling the entire screen in craptacular fashion.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everybody else already explained.

unless you're signed up for HD signal from your cable/dish company, you won't get HD picture or sound no matter what you do with cables.

also, a lot of us can't get local sports with an antenna because our local sports networks are cable networks.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hows that work

All over the air broadcast are in HD. Get a good antenna and put it up outside or hang in your attic, mine is in the attic. Crystal clear HD, better than what any cable or satellite company can produce because it is never compressed.