• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hawkeyes 2013-2014 BB thread

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That game really hurt us, now we are 4th in the B10 after getting swept by the Badgers, with MSU losing today that was a great shot at moving to second...ugh. We have to almost win out to get back into 3rd and get some help by someone knocking off Wisc...worst game to lose all year really.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still believe Iowa admins need to re-think their seating policy at Carver. We may be the only Division I school who is actually at a disadvantage at home. I know we've harped on this before on the CBS boards but it's worth bringing up again due to losing so many home games. I think they made that one corner a student section but beyond that it still looks like the blue-hairs and Farmer Bob still retain the prime seats in Carver, thus creating minimal crowd noise.

By nature most Iowans are fairly reserved and quiet compared to the rest of the country - I have no evidence to support this other than anecdotal due to living there for almost 30 years. So I think Iowa needs to do whatever they can to increase the noise and give students the prime seating as most schools are starting to do around the country. Clearly Iowa has zero home court advantage and they really haven't since they old Fieldhouse days.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is going to sound bad but I actually think Iowa played pretty damn well on Saturday. Only 7 turnovers, shot it well, made FT's for the most part, Dev played great, Josh stepped up, our bigs combined for 14 and 9. Has it occured to anyone that maybe Wisconsin is just better than us??? I know... Sacrilege right?? LOL. All that said IF we play just like we did Saturday we beat 95% of the teams in the country.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a stretch Iowa was playing lights out, just hitting shot after shot. But I still think Iowa has been underachieving for several weeks now and especially at home against teams like WI and MSU who I think we should/could beat. I don't have a problem saying Wisconsin was/is better than Iowa, I actually think a case could be made for that. But just seems like a few tweaks here and there and we could be so much better. Having an actual (gasp) home court advantage is a start.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is going to sound bad but I actually think Iowa played pretty damn well on Saturday. Only 7 turnovers, shot it well, made FT's for the most part, Dev played great, Josh stepped up, our bigs combined for 14 and 9. Has it occured to anyone that maybe Wisconsin is just better than us??? I know... Sacrilege right?? LOL. All that said IF we play just like we did Saturday we beat 95% of the teams in the country.

Our problem is consistency. Aaron White disappears for games at a time and starting McCabe is a joke (did you see his line score?) Woody actually makes buckets and has a high percentage, but he rarely shoots. We have the size down low to make shit happen and that should open things up on the perimeter, but it's still damn near impossible for someone like Ogelsby to get a 3 look. I'm glad he started "settling" for regular jump shots because he's feeling it this year.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we play like we did against Michigan, we beat 100% of teams we play.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rmilia,

I do think Wisconsin played well. One huge difference...Wisconsin's players made wide-open 3-pt shots...and...Iowa missed their wide-open 3-pt attempts. Everything else was pretty even.

When both teams were trading baskets...while nice...doesn't allow Iowa to attack the basket in their offensive sets and draw fouls.

I don't know about you or others on here, but I really don't think Kaminsky can guard Olaseni in the post. Kind of scary to think what could happen if Woody and Olaseni were both on the floor at the same time???

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dekker and what's-his-fuck hit open 3s. Brust didn't hit crap. I'd like to catch these guys again in the B1G Tourney.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else think the Goofer game is a must win?

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really feel like most all of the remaining games are must-wins. I know that's not likely but our NCAA seeding are taking a hit lately and with each loss we move further and further down. I am leery of getting a 7 or a 10 seed, because that means a #1 seed awaits us in round 2 and we seemed to fall into that category for several years not too long ago and lost to Duke/Kentucky type teams.

Really need to win and get that seeding up to at least a 6 seed to make a good run in the NCAAs.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We were last week too. The only"locks" are teams basically in the top 15-20 in RPI. IF ( HUGE IF ) Iowa loses their next 2 gamnes on the road then there will actually be cause for worry. We really dont have a plethora of good wins. Our biggest strong suit is we have no bad losses or even anything remotely resembling a bad loss. If we lose 2 bad ones down the stretch then its entirely plausible to call us a bubble team IMO. We would still get in based on a lot of wins vs top 100 teams but our seed would suck. We are only 2-7 vs teams in the RPI top 25. That aint good.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight's game sure isn't looking good with 9:49 left. Lose this game and Iowa has a mountain to climb to land in the Big Dance.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight's game sure isn't looking good with 9:49 left. Lose this game and Iowa has a mountain to climb to land in the Big Dance.

????? Hell no man. Iowa is going to have to lose 4 of their last 5 to be in any kind of real trouble. We are currently projected as a 5/6 seed. A top 50 RPI loss would suck but it aint putting us in any peril really. Iowa needs to avoid "bad losses" and the only real bad los left is Purdue at home. If we finish 10-8 in B10 play ( which is probably a worst case scenario ) we are still a solid 7/8 seed. You have to look at the teams on the bubble or even the last 12-14 teams in before the bubble and compare Iowa resume to theirs. Its not even close.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dang, too many experienced players making too many turnovers and defensive breakdowns. Just don't see Iowa winning this game down 7 with 4:44 left. Hope I'm wrong.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rmilia,

Losing late in the season is not a good thing. I was referring to going into post season play with momentum. Losing late - and often - is the mountain that Iowa would have to climb to make some noise in the post season.

Finishing 10-8 in the B1G gets Iowa in - no doubt. The seed wouldn't be the greatest. But Iowa would be in.

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes I feel like ripping McCaffrey and sometimes I feel like ripping the inconsistencies of the players. It's gotten to a point where I give up trying to understand why we keep losing these games we should be winning.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see veteran - and experienced - players making far too many mistakes. Marble is a one-half player that disappears in the other half. Don't know why that happens. Missed open looks and 'bunny shots' compounded by our opponents getting wide-open looks and making them -- that gets hard to watch.

Here's hoping the guys get it together, get hot, and get on a role soon!!!