• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Have the last two nights made the ACC a worse conference?

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard this kind of logic thrown around a lot about the B1G lately, just wondering if it also applies to the ACC. Does a Syracuse loss to GT and a Duke loss to Wake make the ACC a worse conference than it was two days ago?

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worse. No way either GaTech or Wake Forest make the NCAA field. Shows the vulnerability of the top tier ACC teams.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely worse. As Douggie said, it shows that the top teams in the ACC are not nearly as good as they seem, and it is BECAUSE they have been playing in the ACC.

Runeman, does this make the ACC the best!?!

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does a Syracuse loss to GT and a Duke loss to Wake make the ACC a worse conference than it was two days ago?

Nope.

Overall conference strength is measured relative to other conferences. The only games that change overall strength relative to other conferences are OOC games.

The ACC (and B1G, etc.) are the exact same conferences today, that the were a week ago, or a month ago. (ignoring the oddball February OOC game)

Those two game, on the other hand, do knock the shine of of Duke and Cuse somewhat. (But that still doesn't change the overall strength of the conference, as it elevates GT and WF too)

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with Trolly.

I think why SU is losing is clear as gin. Injuries have caught up with SU, resulting in a team that's not as good today as it was in January. I suppose that means the ACC isn't as strong.

I'm not sure why Duke lost last night, but I like their team.

I'm not sure why teams in the B1G have beat each other up. Late in the regular season last year, many were calling for 3 B1G teams in the FF (MSU/Mich/IU...tOSU and Wisky were good, but only Michigan got there. I think that has me gun shy a little. The Big East went through years like that.

IMO, game results from November and December are not great indicators of a teams ability in March. But it seems to be all we have right now in seeding conferences. Other than the eye test, there's not much else to go on.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC, Big10, and the Big12 all have enough quality teams that can wear each other out; especially at home. Syracuse is losing because their team is banged up. Duke lost last night away because they played poorly, not making a shot the last 5 minutes of the game. Arizona almost lost last night to Oregon St., a team with very little talent, but that home court advantage can be telling. Teams that have to rely on 5-6 players to carry the load get tired; physically and emotionally and have a difficult time sustaining good play. Come tournament time the good teams will re-energize and play better. Again, it's the teams that show up healthy and rested are the teams that will do well.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I'd seen the game last night. The replays on ESPN made it look a pretty sloppy ending for Duke... a lot of bad passes and turn overs. Is that pretty much how the game went?

I still don't think I'd take anything away from the ACC. From top to bottom they're still one of the best overall conferences out there.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1975236_10152288455802790_449477741_n.jpg

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jeffro is happy bout his ho's.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope.

Overall conference strength is measured relative to other conferences. The only games that change overall strength relative to other conferences are OOC games.

The ACC (and B1G, etc.) are the exact same conferences today, that the were a week ago, or a month ago. (ignoring the oddball February OOC game)

Those two game, on the other hand, do knock the shine of of Duke and Cuse somewhat. (But that still doesn't change the overall strength of the conference, as it elevates GT and WF too)

I agree, I've made this argument on numerous occasions. People jumping on a conference because one of their teams beats another makes no sense. Now if we're talking about quality of the top tier only, yeah the ACC takes a hit, as has the B1G in the last few weeks. But it has no impact on the strength of the conference as a whole.