• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harbaugh pulls commit's offer two weeks before signing day

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true. Every coach offers, but that does not mean the school will sign off. Every scholarship offer is subject to administrative approval

Yes, you're right. But, some schools "vet" players more carefully and do not accept players despite how talented they may be as athletes.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pop2:
Two weeks and still going strong.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football
Michigan - 11 national championships
Ohio State - 8 national championships
Bragging about all the "championships" that were won before the current U.S. President's father was even born...

y_-wURC4_400x400.jpe

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's one for you:

From 2012's First Oversigning Controversy Comes At Alabama, But It Won't Be Last :

"In 2011, the topic of oversigning and roster management in college football hit a critical mass. The presidents of Florida and Georgia wrote op-eds condemning schools for aspects of it, and the SEC adopted new rules regarding graduate transfers, medical exemption scholarships, and the number of players that can be signed each year.

"In 2012 [January--less than one month before signing day], the first big controversy comes from the newly crowned national champs. Nick Saban told running back Justin Taylor over last weekend that he would have to grayshirt in order to play at Alabama because the Tide had collected a 26th commitment. One of the SEC's new rules states that teams cannot sign more than 25 players per year to national letters of intent (NLI). Taylor, a consensus three star back, had been committed to Bama for about 11 months, though he had missed his senior year to an ACL injury.

"On the face of it, this is an improvement over the old system. Saban was forced to break the news about the grayshirt ahead of National Signing Day because of the SEC's 25 player cap. It's possible that, under the old system, Alabama could have signed Taylor (because there was a 28-player cap) and then converted him to a grayshirt after signing day if it had too many players heading into fall camp. Taylor would then have to sit out a year as a transfer if he didn't want to grayshirt this coming fall (as he doesn't want to do). Instead, he now has a few weeks to re-open his recruitment and find another place to go where he can at least practice with a team if not participate on the field."

Yup, Saban always has been upfront and honest with recruits--just as you said. And, of course, he can say so because only he knows the truth.

As I said before, I hate the current system of recruiting and find ALL coaches culpable of bad, if not legal, deeds. Don't try to defend St. Nick.

Quote from that guy:

"At first I was cool with it but the more I thought about it, the less I liked it," Taylor said in a phone interview. "I have already missed an entire season of football because of my injury. I decided I just can't miss another season. It's no hard feelings against Alabama but I just decided it's best for me if I go somewhere that I can be at least practicing with the team this year, even if I have to redshirt. I haven't talked to any other schools yet but I will start looking right now."

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quote from that guy:

Yup. But, just because the player was okay with it in the end, doesn't mean it was any less slimy or that Saban and Alabama are above the fray as you implied.

Apparently, everybody in the Swenson case got what they wanted, too.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly.. say what ever you want.. but lets keep any reference of the current president out of this... he makes me want to puke.. i would rather watch video's of the fumble UM had that MSU recovered to win the game for 24 hours straight than think about obama for even 1 minute.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's you Michigan fans something to bitch about.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's you Michigan fans something to bitch about.

Once again, I personally hate the current recruiting system. You have simply provided more evidence that St. Nick doesn't operate above the fray any more than other coaches do.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, I personally hate the current recruiting system. You have simply provided more evidence that St. Nick doesn't operate above the fray any more than other coaches do.

1. I don't give a fuck. I've said all along my only interest in this is watching you holier than thou assholes have to defend the very stuff you've been going on about.

2. The kid probably wouldn't even have had to greyshirt, it was just mentioned as a possibility and he decided to decommit. In order for him to greyshirt it means Alabama has about 10 silent recruits, which I doubt we'll get - but hope we do. So when it became nothing more than a small possibility, he was informed right away. His choice, I wish him the best.

3. He would have been able to enroll in Jan next year as an early enroll on scholarship, not as a "preferred walk-on".

4. Saban actually told him something, he didn't just not talk to the kid for 6 months.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. I don't give a fuck. I've said all along my only interest in this is watching you holier than thou assholes have to defend the very stuff you've been going on about.

2. The kid probably wouldn't even have had to greyshirt, it was just mentioned as a possibility and he decided to decommit. In order for him to greyshirt it means Alabama has about 10 silent recruits, which I doubt we'll get - but hope we do. So when it became nothing more than a small possibility, he was informed right away. His choice, I wish him the best.

3. He would have been able to enroll in Jan next year as an early enroll on scholarship, not as a "preferred walk-on".

4. Saban actually told him something, he didn't just not talk to the kid for 6 months.

You are the one who has acted "holier than thou" with your "Saban doesn't do this" comment. That makes you the a**hole.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are the one who has acted "holier than thou" with your "Saban doesn't do this" comment. That makes you the a**hole.

He still didn't do what Harbaugh did. :lol:

Saban didn't pull a scholarship offer.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I'm feeling inferior. I hope Urban reneges on a scholarship offer before signing day.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, yeah. That's A LOT better. :yes:

It is a lot better. The kid would have to wait a total of 6 months to enroll on full scholarship is the actual difference. As he is a 3 star LB, he wasn't going to be playing anyway.

And he didn't even actually pull the scholarship, he only mentioned greyshirting could be possible IF we were to get all the recruits we want(unlikely)

Meanwhile the kid Harbaugh actually pulled the scholarship for could only join the team as a walk on without a scholarship at all.