• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harbaugh pulls commit's offer two weeks before signing day

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan can't comment on it, and I doubt they would. But it has to be something like that -- right? I mean, why lose a talented kid like that. Even if they were recruiting a higher ranked offensive lineman, not sure I like the move with one in the top 250 already locked down.

I would let it go you guys, I honestly believe something happened, ( with this kid) and there cutting ties, to protect the school, it happens...

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would let it go you guys, I honestly believe something happened, ( with this kid) and there cutting ties, to protect the school, it happens...
There were rumors of this for a couple weeks, so it's not AS bad as it seems. Something happened 2 weeks ago or so that changed something. What that is, I do not know.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we finally found M&B's line. Forcing your way into teenagers homes and spending the night = okay and not creepy. But pulling scholarships ( which happens every single year throughout the nation) = crossing the mother fucking line. Who knew?

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just odd to me that Harbaugh would randomly cut a 4 star top 250 OT recruit like this. What's the angle here? It's not like this kid was a three star.
Is the OL a huge position of need, and are there higher rated linemen committed? Might be trimming the fat to make room for a bigger fish. Could feel better about landing a recruit right now, that wasn't showing much interest before. I know we flipped a 5-star OT last year, that nobody expected to leave Ole Miss. Had to tell a 4-star DE to look around as a result.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was shady.

Although, I have to imagine there's been at least a hint prior to today. Seems odd that it would be fine one minute and his offer is pulled the next. Conversations have to have happened before this -- right?

Apparently, Swenson was told prior to his senior year that he would have to continue to improve through his senior year. He didn't. This is not the first he was made aware that his offer might be pulled. Still, I don't like these tactics very much.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan

This is an unacceptable practice, especially for a kid that's been committed for two years.
Not good but better now than informing him after he is on campus. I remember Miles doing such a few years ago.

Gohogs14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell we'll take him...we need all the tackles we can get lol

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the OL a huge position of need, and are there higher rated linemen committed? Might be trimming the fat to make room for a bigger fish. Could feel better about landing a recruit right now, that wasn't showing much interest before. I know we flipped a 5-star OT last year, that nobody expected to leave Ole Miss. Had to tell a 4-star DE to look around as a result.
I know we've been talking to E.J. Price as of late. But it seems odd to not want both and forgo scholarships to guys like they Penn State kicker they are going after.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was shady.

Although, I have to imagine there's been at least a hint prior to today. Seems odd that it would be fine one minute and his offer is pulled the next. Conversations have to have happened before this -- right?

Not sure I agree that it's shady. The kid committed to Hoke, not Harbaugh. Would anyone be saying anything if the kid pulled his commitment because the coach he committed to got fired?

From a "feel good/do the right thing" perspective, maybe Harbaugh should have honored the offer. But what if the kid isn't a good fit for what Harbaugh wants for the team? Then they've wasted a scholly on a kid who probably isn't going to play and may end up wanting to transfer to a school where he will.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we finally found M&B's line. Forcing your way into teenagers homes and spending the night = okay and not creepy. But pulling scholarships ( which happens every single year throughout the nation) = crossing the mother fucking line. Who knew?
If he was forcing his way in that would be a different story.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I agree that it's shady. The kid committed to Hoke, not Harbaugh. Would anyone be saying anything if the kid pulled his commitment because the coach he committed to got fired?

From a "feel good/do the right thing" perspective, maybe Harbaugh should have honored the offer. But what if the kid isn't a good fit for what Harbaugh wants for the team? Then they've wasted a scholly on a kid who probably isn't going to play and may end up wanting to transfer to a school where he will.
It's more about the timing of things. Too close to signing day to simply pull an offer like that for no reason. Now if it turns out there is a good reason for it, that's a different story. Right now we only know signing day is two weeks away and Michigan pulled his offer.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the problem is that Harbaugh has been coach for over a full calendar year. We are exactly 2 weeks from signing day. This couldn't have been decided sometime over the past 50 or so weeks?

I'm more under the impression that something big happened between them, and the university and this kid are just protecting themselves from it. Just parting ways, and moving on.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's more about the timing of things. Too close to signing day to simply pull an offer like that for no reason. Now if it turns out there is a good reason for it, that's a different story. Right now we only know signing day is two weeks away and Michigan pulled his offer.

Yeah, I agree that the timing is an issue and if he was going to pull it, he should have done so earlier. 2 weeks is still plenty of time to get in some visits. He's a 4* offensive tackle, so I'm sure someone will find room for him.

I hope Helton has or will contact him. I'm always in favor of USC stocking up on talented o-linemen.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read this and it sucks for the kid. However until there is pen to paper both sides have a right to go a different direction.

Welcome to the dark side...next you'll be giving your seal of approval to gray shirting and medical hardships.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only interest in this thread is watching Michigan do what I've heard for years that Michigan wouldn't do.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only interest in this thread is watching Michigan do what I've heard for years that Michigan wouldn't do.
Well, we haven't done the old Alabama greyshirt yet so there's still buffer room.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we haven't done the old Alabama greyshirt yet so there's still buffer room.
Yes but Michigan would never pull a recruit's scholarship just days before the signing day to make room for someone else.