• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harbaugh is shady

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How is that shady? Harbaugh told him 5 months in advance. He didn't, say, wait until signing day, realized we didn't have enough room for him and told him that he didn't have a spot on the football team after he already moved to Ann Arbor. He's injured his knee twice now. If he wants to look at other schools he has ample time and if he wants to come to Michigan he has a guaranteed 4 year scholarship. Seems like the responsible thing to me.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is that shady? Harbaugh told him 5 months in advance. He didn't, say, wait until signing day, realized we didn't have enough room for him and told him that he didn't have a spot on the football team after he already moved to Ann Arbor. He's injured his knee twice now. If he wants to look at other schools he has ample time and if he wants to come to Michigan he has a guaranteed 4 year scholarship. Seems like the responsible thing to me.

That's a really nice thing, if it's a guaranteed 4 year scholarship. Guaranteed 4 year scholarships dont exist for athletes. If this kid tears his ACL trying to play football his freshman year anywhere else he could end up without an education. Seems like Harbaugh is trying to make this kid a great deal. But, the kid will think he's a superstar ten it down and risk his future.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unless Saban does it, then it's always evil and only done for an advantage.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a really nice thing, if it's a guaranteed 4 year scholarship. Guaranteed 4 year scholarships dont exist for athletes. If this kid tears his ACL trying to play football his freshman year anywhere else he could end up without an education. Seems like Harbaugh is trying to make this kid a great deal. But, the kid will think he's a superstar ten it down and risk his future.
Exactly, especially this early in the game. It's 5 months from signing day and this kid has a guaranteed 4 year scholarship to one of the best schools in the country. He can try to see if another school would want him, but after two ACL tears in the same knee I find it unlikely.

This is the appropriate use of a medical hardship scholarship. It's not being used at the last second to void a letter of intent to make room for a better player.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Saban does it, then it's always evil and only done for an advantage.
If Saban did it this far out I would have no problem with it. What Saban does is wait until the last second and force healthy, or soon-to-be healthy, kids into medical scholarships to gain an extra spot in the recruiting class that he's over signed.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Saban did it this far out I would have no problem with it. What Saban does is wait until the last second and force healthy, or soon-to-be healthy, kids into medical scholarships to gain an extra spot in the recruiting class that he's over signed.
Yes because Harbaugh doesn't try and force players into medical scholarships.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That could have nothing to do with the fact that the Ohio State kid injured his knee significantly, for the 2nd time, 3 months later in the process?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ignoring for a moment that you don't have the first clue when, why or how Nick Saban offered a single medical, if you don't think Harbaugh cares about spots, then you are an idiot.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ignoring for a moment that you don't have the first clue when, why or how Nick Saban offered a single medical, if you don't think Harbaugh cares about spots, then you are an idiot.
I do think he cares about spots in this case. He wants a player who can actually play football to fill a football scholarship. But he responsibly told the kid right away. He didn't string them along until someone better came along. We don't have a replacement in our class for Falcon -- he was a pretty highly ranked running back. Of course a coach isn't going to take a permanently injured kid into the class.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That could have nothing to do with the fact that the Ohio State kid injured his knee significantly, for the 2nd time, 3 months later in the process?
Then he should have done it then, not once he was on campus and they oversigned. The reason they didn't do it right away is because they hadn't oversigned the class yet.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes because Harbaugh doesn't try and force players into medical scholarships.
I think any coach pushes seriously injured kids into medical scholarships. But there's a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it. Football ending injuries happen, which is why those scholarships exist.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then he should have done it then, not once he was on campus and they oversigned. The reason they didn't do it right away is because they hadn't oversigned the class yet.

Why didn't Harbaugh do it 2 months ago then when this kid injured himself?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think he cares about spots in this case. He wants a player who can actually play football to fill a football scholarship. But he responsibly told the kid right away. He didn't string them along until someone better came along. We don't have a replacement in our class for Falcon -- he was a pretty highly ranked running back. Of course a coach isn't going to take a permanently injured kid into the class.

Alabama had a similiar thing last year. We took a recruit in and put him on immediate medical.

Other schools dropped their offers to him, as it wasn't Alabama that said he wouldn't have a career. That's the weird part here - Michigan is the one saying he can't play football. Has he even been examined? You're basically dumping him because he was injured.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why didn't Harbaugh do it 2 months ago then when this kid injured himself?

I assume there was some evaluation that needed to happen. All we knew two months ago is that his injury would likely end his HS season, but they weren't sure the long term impact. And there was time to wait. It's not like the last month and a half has negatively impacted Falcon's ability to find another school.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama had a similiar thing last year. We took a recruit in and put him on immediate medical.

Other schools dropped their offers to him, as it wasn't Alabama that said he wouldn't have a career. That's the weird part here - Michigan is the one saying he can't play football. Has he even been examined? You're basically dumping him because he was injured.
Its' been two months, so I assume he's been evaluated but obviously I can't confirm that. It's the second ACL tear in the same knee. You don't typically recover from that.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume there was some evaluation that needed to happen. All we knew two months ago is that his injury would likely end his HS season, but they weren't sure the long term impact. And there was time to wait. It's not like the last month and a half has negatively impacted Falcon's ability to find another school.

Oh, so Michigan gets the benefit of the doubt, and time to evaluate a prospect, but Ohio State doesn't get similar treatment to do the same?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its' been two months, so I assume he's been evaluated but obviously I can't confirm that. It's the second ACL tear in the same knee. You don't typically recover from that.

Like I said, Alabama did something similar and if he's not fit to play football then nobody else will offer him.

I personally do not have a problem with medical scholarships. Then again, I think they should be able to kick anyone they want off the team and be able to offer them the same kind of deal. But I've listened to you Michigan and other fans cry about this shit for years and now as soon as the tables get turned just once it's all suddenly fine and dandy with every little distinction being used for justification.