• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Haley is out of Pittsburgh

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side note knowing how RB's fall off the face of the earth at age 30 and the amount of touches he gets I wonder if he will even make it that far?
When you account for Bell's high usage & his injury history... I think its safe to bet that his cliff will come sooner rather than later. He's 25 right now so I'd give him 3-4 more great years so long as he stays healthy & off the goddamn weed.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Haley is out... And Munchak just declined his 2nd interview with Arizona.

To the casual observer its assumed Munchak already has the OC job in Pittsburgh.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bell's success wasn't due to Haley. That had more to do with a top 5 O-line & coaches riding the shit out of his coattails...

Just look at his touches (rushing & receiving) over the last 2 years:
2017: 406 (15 games)
2016: 336 (12 games - 4 game suspension)

He averaged 21.6 carries & 7.5 targets per game over that span. According to NFL Stats & Info, Steelers averaged 65.6 plays per game over those 2 years. That means Bell received 44% of the offense's calls.

So long as the O-line stays intact, and the OC continues the same formula, I have zero concerns.

Good feedback. My thoughts were directed toward the possibility of an OC wanting to tweak blocking schemes or shuffle personnel that don't necessarily fit Bell's strengths. You guys seem pretty confident that it's pretty much all Bell and OL talent and scheme doesn't really matter. That may be the case, but pardon me if it's a little difficult to digest.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Haley is out... And Munchak just declined his 2nd interview with Arizona.

To the casual observer its assumed Munchak already has the OC job in Pittsburgh.

Where was Munchak before this season? I forget

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart move IMO, wonder if Tomlin gets let go as well.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious questions, Steelers fans:

Bell has had a lot of success under Haley. Do you have any concern that a new OC might not be as compatible with Bell as Haley was? Might this sway your preference to move Bell now while stock is high?
Haley sucked, and the players succeeded despite him. Look at the Jax game, that tells you the whole story of Haley's tenure.

Those first three drive abortions were all scripted Haley, plays that put the players in position to fail, like short yardage RB sweeps against a very fast Jax defense.

All the points? Those were circus catch big plays. Those were individual efforts, not the scheme clearing the way. They were caught in tight windows, with tight coverages. Broken plays, not Haley genius.

Haley benefited from having the best offensive players I've ever seen in Pittsburgh. He greatly underachieved.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goooooooooooood......MOTHER F*CKING..................................RIDDANCE!!!!
Yup, writing has been on the wall for the last few seasons that he would gone at the end of this contract...Maybe sooner it seemed....Not sure how anyone is surprised....They actually brought the QB coach Fichtner down from the booth during games this year to be a buffer between Ben & Haley...Tough to play football when your QB hates the OC....The Jag game was just the icing on the shit cake......Also tumbling drunk out of bars and breaking his hip didn't help as well.....His welcome was well worn out....Let's see how great of an OC he is now, because he's not likely going to see a group of weapons like these ever again.....

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize there was this much angst against Haley from Steeler nation. Their offense was rolling this year. If he has to fall on the sword because of the Jaguar debacle, then Tomlin should be booted as well IMO.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good feedback. My thoughts were directed toward the possibility of an OC wanting to tweak blocking schemes or shuffle personnel that don't necessarily fit Bell's strengths. You guys seem pretty confident that it's pretty much all Bell and OL talent and scheme doesn't really matter. That may be the case, but pardon me if it's a little difficult to digest.
No you definitely do have a point. If an outside source were to be hired then it would have an effect. Although I don't see it being a big one regardless.

However this is why I think Mike Munchak (O-line coach) or Randy Fichtner (QB coach) are the leading candidates to take over. Munchak would already know the o-line zone blocking schemes. IMO if Fichtner gets the job its an indication that they want to give more power over the offense to Roethlisberger. Randy would know how to call the shots to Ben's strengths and they would work together to develop the schemes.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haley sucked, and the players succeeded despite him. Look at the Jax game, that tells you the whole story of Haley's tenure.

Those first three drive abortions were all scripted Haley, plays that put the players in position to fail, like short yardage RB sweeps against a very fast Jax defense.

All the points? Those were circus catch big plays. Those were individual efforts, not the scheme clearing the way. They were caught in tight windows, with tight coverages. Broken plays, not Haley genius.

Haley benefited from having the best offensive players I've ever seen in Pittsburgh. He greatly underachieved.
Best post in the thread.... /thread

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious questions, Steelers fans:

Bell has had a lot of success under Haley. Do you have any concern that a new OC might not be as compatible with Bell as Haley was? Might this sway your preference to move Bell now while stock is high?

No concern.

This has been brewing for awhile. I admit not all of it was on Haley because he was hired with marching orders. Some of these orders meant Ben had to change the way he played the game and that didn't sit well with Ben so they never really started on a good foot if you will.

There have been some blowups, but for the most part Haley got good results over all, but he's not a good big game planner and he's relied too heavily on his star weapons.

Bell...I could see him getting fewer touches if he comes back, but Randy Fitchner ( QB coach) is my guess to take over the reins. It will be the same OFC with more input from Ben I think. Ben likes him apparently and I think he knew Haley was out because he was saying before their last game he would be back next year. This decision was probably in the making on anything less than a SB win.

If anybody wants to part with two 1st picks (cost of matching a non-exclusive tag) let's write it up.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No concern.

This has been brewing for awhile. I admit not all of it was on Haley because he was hired with marching orders. Some of these orders meant Ben had to change the way he played the game and that didn't sit well with Ben so they never really started on a good foot if you will.

There have been some blowups, but for the most part Haley got good results over all, but he's not a good big game planner and he's relied too heavily on his star weapons.

Bell...I could see him getting fewer touches if he comes back, but Randy Fitchner ( QB coach) is my guess to take over the reins. It will be the same OFC with more input from Ben I think. Ben likes him apparently and I think he knew Haley was out because he was saying before their last game he would be back next year. This decision was probably in the making on anything less than a SB win.

If anybody wants to part with two 1st picks (cost of matching a non-exclusive tag) let's write it up.
Already seeing reports surfacing about Fichtner being expected to fill the OC role. :yahoo:

Still makes the Munchak situation cloudy. Turns down AZ's 2nd interview just to remain an O-line coach? Something seems off. Maybe he loves it here and doesn't want the pressure of the HC position?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize there was this much angst against Haley from Steeler nation. Their offense was rolling this year. If he has to fall on the sword because of the Jaguar debacle, then Tomlin should be booted as well IMO.
We've been against Haley for the last 2-3 seasons. His schemes are crap. The results are from individual success. The star power covered up for his inadequate schemes enough to get them far but would crumble in the postseason.

Need I remind you of last year's divisional round win where the offense was 0/4 in the RZ (0/1 in goal to go) and they won the game based off of Chris Boswell's leg?

His situational coaching on possession downs is horrible. His RZ & 3rd down percentages were awful earlier this year & cost them in the postseason. They ended up near the top of the league because the Killer B's were on fire down the stretch.