• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hacking: not just for Giants

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By "good for the game" doyer fan means "good for the doyers." The only way we can play the Red Sox to their yankass is if we have the whole BA. Imagine if the Sox had to share New England with the Pirates...they'd never keep up. The A'ss need to move to LV or Portland

Excuse me while I cough out the words you tried to put in my mouth.

I in fact wasn not thinking of the Dodgers at all when I made my last comment. To me, they are irrelevant to this issue. And, as for my "good for the game" part, I think that of all successful teams. That, sometimes, they need to give a little to the little guys of the game, to keep the game as a whole healthy.

That was it, nothing more.

As for the A's to San Jose specific, it is strictly personal and individual, as it would be nice to be able to go to games without having to deal with any traffic. The San Jose Giants are fine, and I go there some, but it's not the big time.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Insert preemptive "Anaheim is not LA" statement here

INDEED!!!

Sports are a giant "geography fail" anyway. New York Jets/Giants anyone?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"San Francisco" 49ers starting in 2014...

Once again, indeed. Nothing like telling a city ( Santa Clara ) that you are just not important enough, or just don't matter enough to warrant a name change.

Looking forward to Super Bowl 50 there myself, and hope to be able to attend.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the "best" I could come up with.

metsinsiderweb24s-1-web.jpg

Did you have to go on safari to get these pics, or was this taken at a zoo?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you have to go on safari to get these pics, or was this taken at a zoo?

Certainly not the Bronx Zoo........

Maybe he got them special ordered from Guidos R us?

They let them roam from free, so people on vacation from the Philly suburbs can see them in their natural habitat.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excuse me while I cough out the words you tried to put in my mouth.

I in fact wasn not thinking of the Dodgers at all when I made my last comment. To me, they are irrelevant to this issue. And, as for my "good for the game" part, I think that of all successful teams. That, sometimes, they need to give a little to the little guys of the game, to keep the game as a whole healthy.

That was it, nothing more.

As for the A's to San Jose specific, it is strictly personal and individual, as it would be nice to be able to go to games without having to deal with any traffic. The San Jose Giants are fine, and I go there some, but it's not the big time.

I agree that in a perfect world, where interests do not need to be protected, having a team in SJ would be nice. There are a lot of people (RICH people) down there, and any team that moves in would be an instant success.

As stated, though, there ARE interests that need to be protected. The Giants have cultivated that territory with a LOT of sweat-equity over the last 20-ish years. They also sold Pac Bell Park (now AT&T) based on the idea of Silicon Valley having a large interest in the product.

Dump the A's in the SV and all of that dries up. All the work that the Giants have done to build the baseball infrastructure down there instantly dries up for them, and gets handed to the A's on a silver platter. That is some HUGE loss for the Gs.

If the A's happen to win this lawsuit, then the G's will appeal in the courts which will further delay the transfer. And I think the G's would fight to the death over this one. It is that important, I think.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They let them roam from free, so people on vacation from the Philly suburbs can see them in their natural habitat.

"Mommy, why does that guy look all oily and greasy"

"Move along kitten, move along....."

Well done sir! :10:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that in a perfect world, where interests do not need to be protected, having a team in SJ would be nice. There are a lot of people (RICH people) down there, and any team that moves in would be an instant success.

As stated, though, there ARE interests that need to be protected. The Giants have cultivated that territory with a LOT of sweat-equity over the last 20-ish years. They also sold Pac Bell Park (now AT&T) based on the idea of Silicon Valley having a large interest in the product.

Dump the A's in the SV and all of that dries up. All the work that the Giants have done to build the baseball infrastructure down there instantly dries up for them, and gets handed to the A's on a silver platter. That is some HUGE loss for the Gs.

If the A's happen to win this lawsuit, then the G's will appeal in the courts which will further delay the transfer. And I think the G's would fight to the death over this one. It is that important, I think.

Giants are refusing to put any kind of monetary value of the SJ/Sillicon Valley market, which pretty much says all you need to know. It is irreplaceable in their minds. A large sum of money would just not suffice to them.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This. Plus, there are some other billionaires with teams of attorneys that never want to see that anti-trust exemption revoked. San Jose is fighting a losing battle, in my opinion.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants are refusing to put any kind of monetary value of the SJ/Sillicon Valley market, which pretty much says all you need to know. It is irreplaceable in their minds. A large sum of money would just not suffice to them.

Yup. Paying off the stadium just gets them to the table... maybe.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Paying off the stadium just gets them to the table... maybe.

Someone (Ratto?) came up with the idea about a monetary transaction as well as a talent transfer. If the A's were to buy the Territory for 400M (a # I just pulled out of my ass, the number could be anything) AND the A's send Milone and Cespedes.

I still do not think it will happen, but if the tides begin to change, and MLB begins to lean on the G's to sell out to avoid the legal battle that puts the exemption in jeopardy, something like that could happen.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone (Ratto?) came up with the idea about a monetary transaction as well as a talent transfer. If the A's were to buy the Territory for 400M (a # I just pulled out of my ass, the number could be anything) AND the A's send Milone and Cespedes.

I still do not think it will happen, but if the tides begin to change, and MLB begins to lean on the G's to sell out to avoid the legal battle that puts the exemption in jeopardy, something like that could happen.

I didn't go through this whole thread, but the other side of the coin is that the G's should be willing to pony up a good chunk of change if the A's move away from the Bay Area. Maybe a healthy percentage of TV revenue that amortizes to zero over 10 years. Something like that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't go through this whole thread, but the other side of the coin is that the G's should be willing to pony up a good chunk of change if the A's move away from the Bay Area. Maybe a healthy percentage of TV revenue that amortizes to zero over 10 years. Something like that.

Why?

Not a challenge, just a legit question.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why?

The Giants would be hurt if the A's move to San Jose, and should be compensated if that happened. Flip side is that if the A's move to say Portland or San Antonio, the Giants would certainly benefit monetarily.

So if the latter is true, take it incrementally in the extreme just to make the case. Would Neukom pay the A's $1000 to move? Certainly. $10,000? Certainly. $1,000,000? Virtually certain. So once the negotiation for something like that begins, it would just be a matter of arriving at the right amount, because the G's would certainly benefit from the A's moving.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why?

Allow me to say that I am speculating as a fan here. This is all just my opinion pulled out of thin air.

Think of it as an incentive, like a parent who says to his twenty-nine year old college dropout son that it's time for him to move out of the house, so he gives him a thousand dollars to move. Everyone's happy.

I chose TV revenue because in my uneducated opinion that is where the Giants will likely benefit the most. They already sell out every game, so the A's moving out won't add to stadium revenue much if at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allow me to say that I am speculating as a fan here. This is all just my opinion pulled out of thin air.

Think of it as an incentive, like a parent who says to his twenty-nine year old college dropout son that it's time for him to move out of the house, so he gives him a thousand dollars to move. Everyone's happy.

I chose TV revenue because in my uneducated opinion that is where the Giants will likely benefit the most. They already sell out every game, so the A's moving out won't add to stadium revenue much if at all.

Gotcha...

Now THAT makes sense. I was trying to formulate a response to your last post, but put in the light of this post, I totally get where you are coming from now.