• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hacking: not just for Giants

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB players are striking out at record pace - ESPN

Many weigh in including ol' Dusty B. We're actually bucking the trend by NOT striking out as much. I was intrigued by the comment about how the approach is/was to be patient, get starters' pitch count up, get into the bullpen. But now, with fireballers coming at you from the pen, why do you want to do that?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB players are striking out at record pace - ESPN

Many weigh in including ol' Dusty B. We're actually bucking the trend by NOT striking out as much. I was intrigued by the comment about how the approach is/was to be patient, get starters' pitch count up, get into the bullpen. But now, with fireballers coming at you from the pen, why do you want to do that?

Excellent point. My answer to why would be the opportunity to capitalize one or two pitches before the manager goes to the pen. That can be the difference in the game. Plus, out of the 32 teams, only four or five have elite bullpens. The quicker you go through the great arms in the decent pens, the better chance your team has to beat up on a lesser pitcher. The more you force a team to use their relievers, the less chance those relievers will be effective later in the game or series.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent point. My answer to why would be the opportunity to capitalize one or two pitches before the manager goes to the pen. That can be the difference in the game. Plus, out of the 32 teams, only four or five have elite bullpens. The quicker you go through the great arms in the decent pens, the better chance your team has to beat up on a lesser pitcher. The more you force a team to use their relievers, the less chance those relievers will be effective later in the game or series.

THIS is the main point, IMHO. Think long term. Invest. If you wear out the 7th and 8th inning guys in game 1 or 2, than game 3 will be that much easier.

In the Braves series, MLB tv had Vasgersgian (sp?) and Smoltz do the game, and they practically did it as the Braves team. They weren't homers, so they were actually pretty good, but it was definitely with a focus on the Braves. Anyway, they had mentioned that the Gs just don't K much and that they are an incredibly pesky team for pitchers to deal with. I think sometimes we get caught up looking at the trees and miss the forest.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They expanded to Portland and Las Vegas?!? :omg:

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Than wouldn't it be 28 teams? (After they contract Oakland and Miami?)

Say it loud, say it proud.

THE SAN JOSE A'S/

Nice ring to it, huh?

I'm not switching fandom, but it would be nice to be able to walk to the ballyard after work to catch a bunch of games.

Better than the boring Ice Soccer we have here, that I could care less about.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say it loud, say it proud.

THE SAN JOSE A'S/

Nice ring to it, huh?

I'm not switching fandom, but it would be nice to be able to walk to the ballyard after work to catch a bunch of games.

Better than the boring Ice Soccer we have here, that I could care less about.

Exactly why the Giants will fight, tooth and nail, the A's moving down there. The bulk of the Giants revenue comes from the SJ market.

The Giants OWN that market, so the A's will need to sign over their collective first-born to get it, and I am not sure that gets it done.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly why the Giants will fight, tooth and nail, the A's moving down there. The bulk of the Giants revenue comes from the SJ market.

The Giants OWN that market, so the A's will need to sign over their collective first-born to get it, and I am not sure that gets it done.

I tend to agree that it will not happen. It's too bad to, as I see this as a case of the Giants then acting in their own best interest, which, in this case, I think is not in the best interest of the sport as a whole.

The next best and only thing to happen then would be for the A's to leave CA, to hopefully somewhere they are both wanted, and will be supported, both by large attendance numbers and financially, of course.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree that it will not happen. It's too bad to, as I see this as a case of the Giants then acting in their own best interest, which, in this case, I think is not in the best interest of the sport as a whole.

The next best and only thing to happen then would be for the A's to leave CA, to hopefully somewhere they are both wanted, and will be supported, both by large attendance numbers and financially, of course.

If the A's take Silicon Valley, then the Giants will become the current Oakland A's. They will not have ANY money to work with. How is that good for the game?

The BA is simply not big enough for 2 MLB teams. Not in todays MLB business model.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the A's take Silicon Valley, then the Giants will become the current Oakland A's. They will not have ANY money to work with. How is that good for the game?

The BA is simply not big enough for 2 MLB teams. Not in todays MLB business model.

By "good for the game" doyer fan means "good for the doyers." The only way we can play the Red Sox to their yankass is if we have the whole BA. Imagine if the Sox had to share New England with the Pirates...they'd never keep up. The A'ss need to move to LV or Portland

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By "good for the game" doyer fan means "good for the doyers." The only way we can play the Red Sox to their yankass is if we have the whole BA. Imagine if the Sox had to share New England with the Pirates...they'd never keep up. The A'ss need to move to LV or Portland

I REALLY don't think BDD was taking that view, but GREAT point about the Sox having to share their market. There are REALLY only 3 markets in this country that are big enough to support 2 teams in the current MLB business model (NY, Chicago, LA). MAYBE Washington/Baltimore, but I am not that familiar with the geography there, so I am not sure. Truthfully, I am surprised the O's allowed the 'Spo's to move into their backyard...

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Insert preemptive "Anaheim is not LA" statement here... and aren't most Mets fans from Jersey? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pics or it didn't happen...

This is the "best" I could come up with.

metsinsiderweb24s-1-web.jpg