• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 (2023)

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I miss when Star Lord lost his space suit and visor?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking awesome. I absolutely LOVED it

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think my favorite thing in the movie is that Rocket was trying out anti-grav boots upside down in the beginning of the movie as a quirk and it ends up being a big deal. A very organic way of doing things when most of Rocket's story was done with flashbacks. They did a really good job of making Rocket the main character while also making it seem like we were going over his life story right before he dies which is a pretty cliche thing to do. So when he lives it really puts his character in a great spot. I also really liked the acoustic version of Creep at the start and No Sleep Till Brooklyn. Two of the best song placements in the series.

The problem is that they also totally changed Rocket. The entire initial dynamic of the team is broken. He is nice. He has a good heart. He is misunderstood. He makes the right decisions. He listens to the music. He is the best leader. He replaces Star-Lord. The whole point of Rocket was that he was kind of a jerk. He was kind of paranoid. He mostly just worried about money and survival. Thats why he wasn't in charge. Maybe its because I played the 2020 video game but Rocket being a total merc is why he trusts Peter. Thats why they are best friends. Groot is too pure of heart to make the tough decisions. Drax has a code that gets in the way of many things. Gamora has no people skills. Their weaknesses are enough to keep them all in check as flawed heroes and thus they are a team. In Guardians 3, Rocket is now a superhero basically. The idea of Rocket and Peter being best friends seems totally unearned. The idea of Drax being a good dad also seems unearned. He is really reckless as is Peter. Peter seeking a dad figure and Drax being one doesnt add up.

I think part of the problem here is character bloat. You have too many characters to weave everything in seamlessly. I guess its neat to see Gamora go her own way in theory but id hardly say thats the most interesting thing they could have done with her or Star-Lord. Star-Lords big plot arc being finding his dad on Earth seems kinda silly. Yondu was his dad. That was his big plot arc in Vol 2. The montage of Yondu being with Peter as he grows up is probably the best scene in the movie. This honestly just feels like Endgame blew up the third movie and this was the best they could do to as a Plan B.

I have no idea why the High Evolutionary gets so many lives in the movie. Little Rocket probably could've killed him but it makes sense that he doesnt because he is trying to escape. Still, definitely could've happened and probably would've been the logical thing. You also have the High Evolutionary's #2 plan a coup but instead of just killing him with his backturned, she lets him know ruining any ability for her to actually have a coup. Then Rocket doesn't finish the job at the end. The High Evolutionary might be the most evil villain I've seen in a Marvel movie. Almost certainly killed Billions. Future Hitler with super powers. I'm not really sure they handled him with the weight deserved.

The Guardians at the end also say out loud the issue they have - Rocket is so strong that he can handle everything on his own, Groot is so strong he can handle everything on his own, Kraglin is so strong he can handle everything on his own. Who cares if Star-Lord is coming back for another movie? Should I root for Star-Lord finding love? Getting powers? Adjusting to being weak?

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking awesome. I absolutely LOVED it

I'm going to take my 11 yo kid to see it on Wednesday. He's sensitive to animals getting hurt, so just one question: how graphic is it?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to take my 11 yo kid to see it on Wednesday. He's sensitive to animals getting hurt, so just one question: how graphic is it?

How sensitive we talking? There's no direct shots of animals getting hurt, but plenty of it is implied and you see the aftermatch. They walk right up to the line in a couple of circumstances of what they could get away with and stay PG-13. Also, some of the visuals of the characters are kinda fucked up, especially the character named Floor. Anybody that's sensitive to animals like your son or definitely younger kids might have some problems with Floor.

Also, just a general heads up, if you're not ok with your kids hearing swearing (no judgement, some people are, some aren't), there is an F bomb in the movie as well as a few other swears.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"It doesn't matter when it's Arcturian, baby!" - Private Frost
Knock Yourself Out You Can Do It GIF

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How sensitive we talking? There's no direct shots of animals getting hurt, but plenty of it is implied and you see the aftermatch. They walk right up to the line in a couple of circumstances of what they could get away with and stay PG-13. Also, some of the visuals of the characters are kinda fucked up, especially the character named Floor. Anybody that's sensitive to animals like your son or definitely younger kids might have some problems with Floor.

Also, just a general heads up, if you're not ok with your kids hearing swearing (no judgement, some people are, some aren't), there is an F bomb in the movie as well as a few other swears.

Thanks. It's good to know that it's not too graphic. I will just warn him about it so he's prepared.

We don't have a problem with some swearing, unless we are talking about Jules Winnfield monologuing on a poor bastard.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven’t seen it yet - at the end of Endgame Thor was with the crew. Did they explain where Thor is?

From what I read they were going to move in that direction because they thought that starlord and thor would have good chemistry on set which was the initial battle at the beginning of Thor love and Thunder but they decided it would be better to separate into their own movies. I think it was better that way because the Guardians is an entire band of people it would be hard to have screen time for all of them plus Thor.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I read they were going to move in that direction because they thought that starlord and thor would have good chemistry on set which was the initial battle at the beginning of Thor love and Thunder but they decided it would be better to separate into their own movies. I think it was better that way because the Guardians is an entire band of people it would be hard to have screen time for all of them plus Thor.

except... it gave us another thor movie... so there are goods and bads...

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was worried about my kid, and I was the one almost shedding a tear at the movies, when
Rocket's friends were killed. Rocket's scream / cry was really touching.

Loved this movie, it's probably the best Marvel movie since Endgame (I also loved No way Home).

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was worried about my kid, and I was the one almost shedding a tear at the movies, when
Rocket's friends were killed. Rocket's scream / cry was really touching.

Loved this movie, it's probably the best Marvel movie since Endgame (I also loved No way Home).

Glad you liked it and your kid wasn't bothered by it. That specific scene you pointed out I wanted to allude to it in my other post but I didn't know how to say something without basically spoiling it. I guess the best way would have been to say it doesn't linger on or exploit cruelty of violence, but you see a character straight up die.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My McDonalds happy meal toy for the kiddo was for Guardians of the Galaxy 3. This is almost a throwback to my days growing up when they'd have kids toys for Batman Returns which was by all means a weird and dark movie that also had some fun. James Gunn really didn't need to make it that dark, either. The Telltale version of the video game just had Lylla with Rocket and in that game and the comics they're soulmates. Guardians 3 is about people/animals/aliens being friends to each other and not about romance. Although the past couple of Marvel movies I've seen has erased romances which is seems very strange to me. Specifically with Guardians, maybe it works as a reset to make it more like the comics (i haven't read those) but when viewed from only seeing the Guardians movies its hard to care either way. Viewed purely within the movies, Gamora is one of the worst characters in every movie she is in imo and that includes Guardians 3.

I do wonder if I'm being too hard on the movie. Tonally I think its a bit strange when probably the best joke in the movie is Nathan Fillion making fun of his dumb co-worker and the movie makes a point in shaming Nebula (and the audience?) for thinking Drax is dumb. At the same time, though, that is pretty consistent with most comedies (King of the Hill, Big Bang Theory, etc) so maybe i should just enjoy the jokes.

It does seem like the movie is doing well.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My McDonalds happy meal toy for the kiddo was for Guardians of the Galaxy 3. This is almost a throwback to my days growing up when they'd have kids toys for Batman Returns which was by all means a weird and dark movie that also had some fun. James Gunn really didn't need to make it that dark, either. The Telltale version of the video game just had Lylla with Rocket and in that game and the comics they're soulmates. Guardians 3 is about people/animals/aliens being friends to each other and not about romance. Although the past couple of Marvel movies I've seen has erased romances which is seems very strange to me. Specifically with Guardians, maybe it works as a reset to make it more like the comics (i haven't read those) but when viewed from only seeing the Guardians movies its hard to care either way. Viewed purely within the movies, Gamora is one of the worst characters in every movie she is in imo and that includes Guardians 3.

I do wonder if I'm being too hard on the movie. Tonally I think its a bit strange when probably the best joke in the movie is Nathan Fillion making fun of his dumb co-worker and the movie makes a point in shaming Nebula (and the audience?) for thinking Drax is dumb. At the same time, though, that is pretty consistent with most comedies (King of the Hill, Big Bang Theory, etc) so maybe i should just enjoy the jokes.

It does seem like the movie is doing well.

This post was all over the place. What a ride.

Last edited: